CFN: College Football Conferences: Who Will Play In 2020, Who Won't? The Best Guess Is...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The conference isn’t blinking. It’s full steam ahead, but commissioner Greg Sankey has been very, very cautious though the entire process.

The SEC has the luxury of still working on its schedule timing to build it as needed, with the plan to start up later in September. That gives Sankey more time to work on the medical side of things.

The politics of SEC football are going to play a massive role, and don’t rule out Sankey taking the fall by saying it just isn’t responsible to play if he doesn’t think it’s safe enough. Expect this to be a bit more of a fight from the presidents than you’d think, but …

Paul Finebaum – a sober realist through all of this – says it’s probably a go. So it’s probably a go.

Best Guess Status For 2020: 85%
College Football Conferences: Who Will Play In 2020, Who Won't? The Best Guess Is ...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
But will you say, "I'll take it?"
Not even sure at this point.

I selfishly want football, but I've no clue if it's a smart or stupid decision. I suspect if they play at least one player is going to get really sick, perhaps even die. Maybe more than one. Would that have happened without football? I don't know.

IOW, I'm just going to roll with the punches and enjoy whatever life hands me.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Not even sure at this point.

I selfishly want football, but I've no clue if it's a smart or stupid decision. I suspect if they play at least one player is going to get really sick, perhaps even die. Maybe more than one. Would that have happened without football? I don't know.

IOW, I'm just going to roll with the punches and enjoy whatever life hands me.
I agree with your sentiment. I'm not in control and I'm glad! And, I'm not making light of the fact one person might die if the season is played.

But a person might die if the season is played of something else too (and I know you know that).

It just seems the PTB are trying to avoid taking any chances and that's just not a good model for living life.

Reactions: bamacon

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I agree with your sentiment. I'm not in control and I'm glad! And, I'm not making light of the fact one person might die if the season is played.

But a person might die if the season is played of something else too (and I know you know that).

It just seems the PTB are trying to avoid taking any chances and that's just not a good model for living life.
Neither is living recklessly, but that's a matter of perspective in some respects. College football needed a real workable plan to be able to pull it off and a lot of help it didn't get from the community at large.

rtrbama1

1st Team
May 31, 2015
Is there a way to make it work so that Big Ten and Pac-12 teams that want to (Nebraska, Iowa, Ohio State) can play in the Fall? Is it legal for them to play as independents or join other conferences for one season?

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Is there a way to make it work so that Big Ten and Pac-12 teams that want to (Nebraska, Iowa, Ohio State) can play in the Fall? Is it legal for them to play as independents or join other conferences for one season?
As someone said in one of these threads, Television contracts may prevent thing like that from happening. I myself wouldn't mind seeing something like that.

Reactions: rtrbama1

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Neither is living recklessly, but that's a matter of perspective in some respects. College football needed a real workable plan to be able to pull it off and a lot of help it didn't get from the community at large.
I agree, but I'm not sure it would be "reckless" for an individual to choose to play football this year.

Statistically, no more so than driving home for Thanksgiving or Christmas break.

Reactions: howmag

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I agree, but I'm not sure it would be "reckless" for an individual to choose to play football this year.

Statistically, no more so than driving home for Thanksgiving or Christmas break.
I wasn't arguing. I was expounding with an alternate view. The two extremes are: 1. stepping out of your home is reckless and 2. damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. Both views are extreme for most people in most situations. With all the money on the line we can bet these decisions are not being made lightly.

DanoCanuck

3rd Team
Feb 5, 2020
They had me until they quoted Finebaum.
I know this won’t be popular but I like Finebaum. He does great interviews and has lots of excellent guests. I haven’t listened in months though which brings me to another question. What are the networks going to do with all the unneeded “talent”? I would think the game broadcasters and color people will be let go or furloughed pretty quick but the daily talk guys have to be at a risk too. When CARES money runs out I’m thinking there will be a huge purge of network talent. Finebaum could easily be in the first wave of terminations.

Reactions: Bazza

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think the ACC, Big-12, and SEC play a full season. My guess is the Sugar Bowl and Orange Bowl end up hosting a 4 team playoff w/ the 3 conference champions and some sort of mostly metric-based at-large bid to play in the Orange Bowl v. the ACC champion.

Reactions: Jay Hughes

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
Welp, welcome to the super conference era. The B10 and P12 will regret this decision if football is played and we get to January without a stoppage. The likelihood of that is up in the air though. The only way I can see this working is if the conference commissioners take the lead from the NBA and keep players isolated the entire time

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.