CFN: Will There Be A College Football Season In 2020? Where Is The Plan?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Will There Be A College Football Season In 2020? Where Is The Plan?

Indiana recently tested all the athletes on campus and didn’t get one positive result. Michigan retested everyone and had just the two positives from a few weeks before.

A college football season might have to be dealt with on a school-by-school, moment-by-moment basis, even within conferences.

Once we get to the 11th hour on the go or no-go for a launch – total guess here – watch out for one conference to go rogue and decide to keep things in-house with a league-only schedule – each conference will create its own set of protocols, rules and guidelines – and then everyone else will quickly follow, or not.

But it’ll happen. There’s going to be college football in some way.

It’s college. Everyone is cramming at the last moment for the exam.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
No, there will not be. Maybe in the spring. Maybe.
I have strong doubts about that.

So long as people refuse to protect themselves and others we will not get it under control and we are very unlikely to have sports, especially at the college level.

With the number of new cases, the percent of tests that are positive, and sharply increasing hospitalizations in Alabama (with deaths lagging behind) I don't see how it happens in Alabama. Plenty of other places in the US with similar problems.

fireater

All-SEC
Oct 12, 2008
Laramie, WY
Just read on ESPN the Ivy League has canceled all fall sports. Understand that they are in the hot spot, and sports revenue is not as important to them, but is this the first domino to fall?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Just read on ESPN the Ivy League has canceled all fall sports. Understand that they are in the hot spot, and sports revenue is not as important to them, but is this the first domino to fall?
I don't think so - no one really cares about Ivy League sports.

FCS league says no go? Everyone yawns.

B1G, B12, SEC cancels? It's show time.

Reactions: Con and B1GTide

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Someone, I think it was Feldman, reported that FCS conferences were still in wait and see mode. If they start slowing down - and we'll know soon - that could have a rippling effect.

I imagine we'll know a lot more very soon.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I saw the Ohio State U suspended team workouts for all fall sports including football after a number of positive tests. I'm pretty doubtful at this point.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I have strong doubts about that.

So long as people refuse to protect themselves and others we will not get it under control and we are very unlikely to have sports, especially at the college level.

With the number of new cases, the percent of tests that are positive, and sharply increasing hospitalizations in Alabama (with deaths lagging behind) I don't see how it happens in Alabama. Plenty of other places in the US with similar problems.
This is what worries me. Collectively, as a people, to this point it appears to me that we`ve not shown the discipline, willingness to sacrifice, and unity of purpose to defeat this thing. As much as anything, in the 30 seconds it took this to become politicized, the game was up IMO. We obviously do not have anything approaching the consistent, unified, bipartisan leadership from both political parties to lead this nation through this war. And trust me, this is a war. We are fighting a soulless, brainless, merciless biological entity as an enemy that doesn`t give a damn about political parties, what color skin you have, your religion, or anything else we associate with being human, much less a citizen of this country. We`re just fodder. All of us. We better wake up or potentially not having a football season will be the very least of our worries.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
This is what worries me. Collectively, as a people, to this point it appears to me that we`ve not shown the discipline, willingness to sacrifice, and unity of purpose to defeat this thing. As much as anything, in the 30 seconds it took this to become politicized, the game was up IMO. We obviously do not have anything approaching the consistent, unified, bipartisan leadership from both political parties to lead this nation through this war. And trust me, this is a war. We are fighting a soulless, brainless, merciless biological entity as an enemy that doesn`t give a damn about political parties, what color skin you have, your religion, or anything else we associate with being human, much less a citizen of this country. We`re just fodder. All of us. We better wake up or potentially not having a football season will be the very least of our worries.
Turn out the lights, the party's over...we just will not follow safe practices and so we are damning ourselves...I cannot believe what I'm seeing...but then I can. Sad. "We are just fodder" -- and we made ourselves as such.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Good points about what Ivy League does being less relevant to the big conferences. Football is a drag on their finances, it's exactly the opposite in the P5. Still believe a decision on how games will be played, if at all, is contingent on how long NBA and MLB seasons go before they pull the plug. There are issues already with players who are healthy just deciding to not participate this year. We are already looking at a muted season in those two sports, and without key players for every team participating, it's going to be a short dud. But, college football is different in so many ways. Performing without compensation is among the biggest.

Bold statement here. I don't know if we start on time or at all, but I'm going to predict we are seeing football played in October, in some form. I don't think we have it in late August, which is just a few weeks away. But I think sometime in October we are seeing football. At least on TV.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Good points about what Ivy League does being less relevant to the big conferences. Football is a drag on their finances, it's exactly the opposite in the P5. Still believe a decision on how games will be played, if at all, is contingent on how long NBA and MLB seasons go before they pull the plug. There are issues already with players who are healthy just deciding to not participate this year. We are already looking at a muted season in those two sports, and without key players for every team participating, it's going to be a short dud. But, college football is different in so many ways. Performing without compensation is among the biggest.

Bold statement here. I don't know if we start on time or at all, but I'm going to predict we are seeing football played in October, in some form. I don't think we have it in late August, which is just a few weeks away. But I think sometime in October we are seeing football. At least on TV.
Very bold statement indeed. MLB isn't allowing their season to go into October because once we reach fall the risk of spread increases due to the weather.

Reactions: B1GTide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
B1G has announces they’ll likely be cancelling their non-conference schedules and moving to a conference only model. This will likely be the first major conference domino to fall, and barring a miracle it’s hard to expect it will be the last.

My heart goes out to those smaller FBS and FCS programs that base their entire athletic budget around 1-2 games a year where they play cannon fodder for a power 5 team. A lot of programs will probably fold after this year, and the divide between the haves and have-nots will only grow deeper.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
B1G has announced they’ll be cancelling non-conference schedules and moving to an in-conference only model... for now.

This is the first major conference domino to fall, hard to expect it will be the last. My heart goes out to those small FBS and FCS programs that base their entire athletic budget off of 1-2 games a year where they play cannon fodder for a power 5 team. A lot of programs will probably fold after this year, and the divide between the haves and have-nots will only grow deeper.

This will probably start happening more rapidly between all conferences. But ultimately I think what Sankey was feeling last night might be the inevitable result.... no football altogether.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
B1G has announces they’ll More than likely be cancelling their non-conference schedules and moving to an in-conference only model... for now.

This will likely be the first major conference domino to fall, and barring a miracle it’s hard to expect it will be the last. My heart goes out to those small FBS and FCS programs that base their entire athletic budget off of 1-2 games a year where they play cannon fodder for a power 5 team. A lot of programs will probably fold after this year, and the divide between the haves and have-nots will only grow deeper.

Doesn’t matter. The entire season is getting cancelled.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Doesn’t matter. The entire season is getting cancelled.
Unless some major breakthrough happens in the next couple of weeks then I think that is a given. As for the idea of the spring... I highly doubt football will be moved to the spring with that being the time basketball and baseball are to take place. If there is any delayed college football season then it is far more likely to happen in October or November than it is to happen anytime between December and May. Basketball losing so much money for March Madness, there is absolutely no way they would move over for football.

Reactions: UAllday

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.