BREAKING CFP board discussing breaking football out of NCAA

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
That's fine as long as they replace the NZAA foolishness with something that makes sense.
I’m no fan of the NCAA. But I’m even less a fan of chaos.

That said, NIL has reduced the NCAA to an event planning organization.

The NCAA botched governance badly, and deserves its fate. That doesn’t mean that governance as a concept is bad.

We’ve gotten a glimpse of life with neither an effective NCAA, nor an alternative governing body. It isn’t pretty.

Does any thinking person want the current setup of open-market bidding for recruits, coupled with unfettered free agency immediately thereafter (a/k/a no governance at all)? I don’t think so.

We need governance within the context of mid-9-figure athletic programs — the top 50+/-. We don’t need to share anything with the programs who can’t or won’t make that level of commitment.

While I think this is just the first step amongst many, I also think it’s a step in the right direction.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The first thing that needs to happen is reduce the number of FBS teams eligible for the CFP's. Football isn't basketball, and including all 100+ FBS teams needs to go, permanently. Reclass them into FCS or whatever, but reducing the number eligible for the CFP's would be a great start.
The problem is that those schools are on the board.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Less of a problem there than the NCAA because there are less of them than us. In the NCAA there are more of them than us. Big problem there.
I know but it's not as easy as you're thinking. Of the 11 board members, each conference and Notre Dame are represented. So it is a 6/5 split, in favor of the big dogs, but still only by 1. Those 5 conferences should never have had a seat at this table. But anti-trust or whatever.

Reactions: SkullDuckery

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The first thing that needs to happen is reduce the number of FBS teams eligible for the CFP's. Football isn't basketball, and including all 100+ FBS teams needs to go, permanently. Reclass them into FCS or whatever, but reducing the number eligible for the CFP's would be a great start.
The problem is that those schools are on the board.
This is exactly right. Buffalo, Western Kentucky and some other similarly-situated schools are represented. And yes, it’s bothersome.

Less of a problem there than the NCAA because there are less of them than us. In the NCAA there are more of them than us. Big problem there.
Which is why I think this move is the first of several to come.

The smaller programs are about to face a choice they should have faced long ago:
(1) Let the big guys do their thing, and accept something in exchange for that concession. I’m open to negotiation on the compensation, but for the sake of discussion, let’s say 15% of the football pie. Or…..

(2) Insist on the status quo, watch the big guys leave, and when the dust clears, end up with 100% of nothing.

Surely they aren’t stupid enough to choose #2. But then they did support Mark Emmert, so…...

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I’m no fan of the NCAA. But I’m even less a fan of chaos.

That said, NIL has reduced the NCAA to an event planning organization.

The NCAA botched governance badly, and deserves its fate. That doesn’t mean that governance as a concept is bad.

We’ve gotten a glimpse of life with neither an effective NCAA, nor an alternative governing body. It isn’t pretty.

Does any thinking person want the current setup of open-market bidding for recruits, coupled with unfettered free agency immediately thereafter (a/k/a no governance at all)? I don’t think so.

We need governance within the context of mid-9-figure athletic programs — the top 50+/-. We don’t need to share anything with the programs who can’t or won’t make that level of commitment.

While I think this is just the first step amongst many, I also think it’s a step in the right direction.
Chaos is the direct result of pointy headed academics at schools that cost more than an average house to attend being in charge of things and who are incapable of making tough decisions and doing actual leading. Chaos will be exacerbated until it's totally out of control at which point the adults in the room will come in and put together some structure (like what's being discussed now).

Guess who's looking down the barrel of the shotgun now?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Chaos is the direct result of pointy headed academics at schools that cost more than an average house to attend being in charge of things and who are incapable of making tough decisions and doing actual leading. Chaos will be exacerbated until it's totally out of control at which point the adults in the room will come in and put together some structure (like what's being discussed now).

Guess who's looking down the barrel of the shotgun now?
Just curious….who are the “adults in the room”?

They seem to be in short supply everywhere, not just in sports administration.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - Bryce Young NIL Jersey

Your purchase through our TideFans.shop links helps support the site! Thanks!