Game Thread: CFP NCG: LSU vs Clemson (7pm CST | ESPN)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If Burrow would have gone down in game 6 with a season ending injury. LSU isn't in the playoffs. If LSU had season ending injuries to as many starters as we did AND Burrow goes down. They're playing in Shreveport's Independence Bowl.
Probably not that big a drop but yeah.

On the flip side, I'm wary of us turning into "but Colt McCoy," too.

Reactions: FThomas

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

If "Colt McCoy" was the only major player we lost I would agree. But the number of injuries to starters being compounded by their replacements being freshmen, which one was responsible for calling the defense, puts us in a much different situation than "But if Colt hadn't of gotten hurt.." situation.

Reactions: The Ols and bamamc1

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
We would have won both games, without any roster changes, if we just don't throw up all over ourselves.
I agree, and that is called execution. It takes hard work, talent, luck, and execution to win titles. The greater the amount of execution and talent and hard work the less the amount of luck is needed. I hope we get all of them in 2020.

Reactions: The Ols

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If "Colt McCoy" was the only major player we lost I would agree. But the number of injuries to starters being compounded by their replacements being freshmen, which one was responsible for calling the defense, puts us in a much different situation than "But if Colt hadn't of gotten hurt.." situation.
I agree up to a point. And I think you agree with me that it's one thing to acknowledge this reality played a role but let's not use it to get carried away with "but if," either.

Future is bright for us.

LSU will be a three-loss team next year. And the moment they lose to us and it's obvious they aren't repeating, calls for firing Orgeron will come back.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

True. But like I said earlier, you can leave all the injuries as is, and even the crappy officiating and we still should have won both games. If we only correct our own issues that we have control over, we finish the season 12-0. Who knows beyond that but I'd have given us a good shot.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Clemson was an undefeated defending national champion.

Anyone here saying, "Clemson didn't belong in the playoff," better never complain about 1966.

Ever.
Of course, they belonged in the playoff, but they are not defending champions any more.
The "defending champion" thing has always been a dubious distinction for me anyway. Effective this morning, the defending champion LSU team started imploding. they are losing their QB and a bunch of other talented players. In fact, on average, every team loses between 25%-33% of their team each off-season, so if next year's LSU team is playing for another national championship, it will be because next year's team has proven itself to be excellent.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
That was the worst display of accuracy from a quarterback that is supposedly going to to be the #1 player taken in a draft. He wasn't even under pressure on over half of those throws.
I said last year that he had a "stephen garcia" type game against us in the NC game and I got roasted by a few on this board. FWIW, I also said I thought he was better than Garcia but that he completed some passes against us that he normally wouldn't (thus SC type game). I think what we saw last night proved he had a game for the ages against us last year.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I agree up to a point. And I think you agree with me that it's one thing to acknowledge this reality played a role but let's not use it to get carried away with "but if," either.

Future is bright for us.

LSU will be a three-loss team next year. And the moment they lose to us and it's obvious they aren't repeating, calls for firing Orgeron will come back.
Once the injuries happen and the ensuing replacement parts get put in place. Everything the rest of the season is a "but if". I think you have to talk in terms of "likely" or "unlikely" at that point. Not statements of fact.

I think I'm on safe footing by saying it would be unlikely we would have still ended up 10-2, in the Citrus Bowl ranked #13 if the injuries hadn't occurred.

But yes, the future is very bright.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I said last year that he had a "stephen garcia" type game against us in the NC game and I got roasted by a few on this board. FWIW, I also said I thought he was better than Garcia but that he completed some passes against us that he normally wouldn't (thus SC type game). I think what we saw last night proved he had a game for the ages against us last year.
His WRs bailed him out several times against us. LSU's DBs did a better job harassing the Clemson WRs than we did, but of course the refs were very hesitant to call PI so that helped them.

Reactions: Con

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Not going to lie. I underrated Burrow. I kept waiting for someone to actually hit him in the mouth. Clemson did that and he just came back. Incredible season. Arguably the best single season by a QB ever? I still don't understand how he improved so much in one year. Bengals have their guy for the foreseeable future.
I think all of us have asked how did he improve that much in one year. He was average at best last year. Was it all Joe Brady's influence? Did Burrow suddenly develope or "get it?" I think it's probably a combination of many factors and it's why my guess is LSU and CEO won't keep this going and I also would think it's foolish to believe Burrows can be that good in the NFL.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think all of us have asked how did he improve that much in one year. He was average at best last year. Was it all Joe Brady's influence? Did Burrow suddenly develope or "get it?" I think it's probably a combination of many factors and it's why my guess is LSU and CEO won't keep this going and I also would think it's foolish to believe Burrows can be that good in the NFL.
Burrow has always had one thing going for him - he's tougher than nails. People may have forgotten, but WE hit him in the mouth several times and it didn't matter. I never knew he was this accurate though. That wasn't apparent. But I do remember he had a really good game against UCF in the Fiesta Bowl last year.

I do think he's a legit NFL starter though.

Reactions: Padreruf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Burrow has always had one thing going for him - he's tougher than nails. People may have forgotten, but WE hit him in the mouth several times and it didn't matter. I never knew he was this accurate though. That wasn't apparent. But I do remember he had a really good game against UCF in the Fiesta Bowl last year.

I do think he's a legit NFL starter though.
After what he has done this year, I will never underestimate him again. He's a better athlete, passer, and thinker than I ever dreamed last year.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

The other thing with “But Colt” is that Greg was out there playing with broken ribs on painkillers. Wasn’t like we had a healthy QB out there lighting up the scoreboard. We won that game with Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I live in Louisiana and it's already started for me this morning. Literally on the walk in to the building from the parking lot. I would have rather Clemson won. It is going to be a miserable offseason all the way up to when we play them. People just don't realize how insufferable LSU people can be. They really don't...
I’d remind them it took them many years to finally beat Bama by 5 points, and ask them how many more years it will take them to win it all again....... I don’t see them doing it next season with their losses

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Burrow has actually been asked what the difference is from this year to last. He credits a lot of hard work and dedication. But he also says finally getting to play in an offense that he's familiar running made a huge difference. The style offense Brady brought in was similar in concepts to what he ran in HS. Now I'm sure Brady's version is more complex and has more nuances. But the basic concept was the exact same. Familiarity and experience in the system (IMO) was the key to allowing his talents to be put on display.

PS- As someone has mentioned, being 23 years old makes a huge difference as well. His senior year is a culmination of having four years of college under his belt, growing into a true "man" both physically and mentally. It's why I believe Mac Jones WILL BE our starter next season (he'll be 22 this September) and will begin entering that stage of maturity (mentally and physically) that Burrow experienced.

Last edited:

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
Hat s off to LSU. They played a very tough schedule (Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, Auburn, Bama and Florida) made it through with a spotless record. They are deserving champs. I truly think Bama was the only team and that could have derailed them, but a few execution mistakes in that game cost us. Injuries were costly, but we just had too much overall attrition on defense and frankly we just didn't play up to the standard regardless of the injuries. Things are looking up for us next year though, especially if Najee returns.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.