China puts itself on lockdown to stem spread of Covid-19 (no politics, please)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Chinese authorities are attempting to quarantine the city of Wuhan - a metropolis of 11 million people that is at the center of the coronavirus outbreak that's spreading across Asia and beyond. The virus originated from a seafood market in the city. All transport in and out of the city has been suspended for the lockdown, as has public transport within Wuhan. Residents have been advised to stay at home. So far, 17 people have died from the respiratory illness and almost 600 cases have been confirmed across China.

• Thank You
Reactions: crimsonaudio

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We are going to find out the truth about this soon since we have at least one case in the US. We know that we can't trust the information released by China.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
China is expanding its unprecedented efforts to contain a deadly new coronavirus, imposing travel restrictions on tens of millions of people. The epicenter of the outbreak is the city of Wuhan, in Hubei province but it has now spread to at least 10 cities, all of them on lockdown. It comes as China heads into it Lunar New Year, when millions of people travel to take part in celebrations. Many of those events have now been canceled. With more than 800 infections reported, and over 25 deaths, authorities aren't taking any chances.

Pretty remarkable.....at the 20 sec mark the new hospital under construction - they hope to complete in just 6 days!!! :

• Thank You
Reactions: B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Sadly, travel restrictions have never really helped in any epidemic. Without a total quarantine, you don't change anything but the pace of the spread - and it is too late for a quarantine.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Anybody got a cliff notes version of what this virus is?
The coronavirus is the type of virus that gave us MERS and SARS - viruses with very high mortality rates, but which spread more slowly. This is not a "flu" or "cold" virus variant.

To add more depth - the Spanish flu of 1918 led to more deaths than WWI & WWII combined. The mortality rate is estimated to have been somewhere between 10%-20%. The mortality rate for SARS is 15% (over 50% for people over 64). The mortality rate for MERS was 34%.

The current mortality rate for this virus in unknown, but estimated at 4%. Let's compare that to the "regular" flu with a mortality rate of .1% and still produces 650,000 deaths globally every year. Any virus with a 4% mortality rate that is highly infectious would kill tens of millions. So, if this spreads as easily as the flu, the world would change. Thankfully, that does not appear to be the case.

The R0 (the number of people that get infected by an infected person, or the rate of spread) for this virus is estimated to be between 1.5-2.5, so let's call it a 2. The R0 for SARS was about 3.5. The R0 for MERS is only 1. So, if proper steps are taken, and if these R0 figures are accurate, we should be able to contain this.

So, while it is does not appear to be as serious a concern as it could be, the emergence of a third coronavirus strain in humans in less than 20 years is the real concern. Eventually we will see a coronavirus virus that spreads easily and the world will mourn.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: UAllday

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
From the CDC:
"A second case of Wuhan coronavirus in the United States has been identified in Chicago, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday in a press briefing.
The patient is a Chicago resident in her 60s. She is in isolation at a hospital in Chicago.
Sixty-three people from 22 states are under investigation for the virus, health officials said."

Shanghai Disneyland has also closed.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've posted this elsewhere. There was a time when protein was so precious and scarce in China that eating everything on four legs which wasn't a table and everything on two legs which wasn't human was justified. That time is long, long past. There is no longer any justification for these markets. It's now just culture, a very, very dangerous one for the whole world...

Reactions: Bazza

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I've posted this elsewhere. There was a time when protein was so precious and scarce in China that eating everything on four legs which wasn't a table and everything on two legs which wasn't human was justified. That time is long, long past. There is no longer any justification for these markets. It's now just culture, a very, very dangerous one for the whole world...
Thanks for the perspective.

Makes sense.

But like you said - it's part of their culture.

Maybe this will help changes things for better, hopefully.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
When I make my annual trip to Myanmar, some of my local friends often invite us over for supper. On occasion we will have some type of meat. I usually ask what type of meat they are serving, the response is “meat, Mr. Justin.” I probably don't want to know honestly what type of meat it is. I’ve seen these type of markets there. It’s disgusting (this description doesn’t do it justice).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.