China the bully, China the criminal

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
A year or two ago I was completing a semester towards a degree. I based the entire semester on China and its relationship between its commercial aviation and the its govt.

Years prior I had experiences with China via a Chinese American journalist I had worked with on some projects. I'm not a expert, but I have enough experience and knowledge that when job openings/opportunities have come up in China, I've passed on them without a moments hesitation despite the opportunity to make $100-200k more their than in the USA. It's just too dangerous and many other undesirables.

Flash forward to today where I read articles about Google/Facebook employees anti AI systems for the Pentagon/DoD but one of the companies AI heads (Dr. Fei Fei Liu) arguing that both money and manpower of the company should be used IN China to help "develop" their commercial sectors programs.

If you're not familiar, there is no true "commercial" industry in China. As bad as you may think the commercial/military/govt complex is here, China makes us look like the most perfect example of separation between those three.

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/12/711779130/as-china-hacked-u-s-businesses-turned-a-blind-eye

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
China is not a friend of the US. Their industrial and military espionage is a huge threat to the rest of the world and specifically to us. Same for their 'pirating'. Past administrations have done practically nothing to address it. Trump has the 'will' to do something but unfortunately not the 'way'.
Just wait until we see all the Chinese hardware being rolled out for 5G.:eek2:

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Not sure I see a way to counter China. Essentially 1/5 of the world’s population all mobilized for the benefit of the government. And that government doesn’t recognize or exercise (and isn’t hindered by) even a fraction of the ethical or moral restraint as we do in the west. On top of it, fueled by a massive economic engine in Hong Kong and in the mainland itself. They are the borg.

Last edited:

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Not sure I see a way to counter China. Essentially 1/5 of the world’s population all mobilized for the benefit of the government. And that government doesn’t recognize or exercise (and isn’t hindered by) even a fraction of the ethical or moral restraint as we do in the west. On top of it, fueled by a massive economic engine in Hong Kong and in the mainland itself. They are the borg.
I don't disagree with any of the comments above. Over the years I have attempted to understand why our government would allow Japan then China to effectively attack the US
economically through what would be illegal means in terms of US antitrust law. In China's case gross violations of WTO rules that allowed China into the trade organization to begin with. My only conclusion is that US politicians viewed the deflationary aspect of cheap Chinese goods entering our consumer market as a net positive to keep the masses content while the US transitioned to a financially driven economy with the corresponding massive wealth transfer that has occurred.

In terms of the Trump Administration they are attempting to fight a war with little understanding of the complexity that has developed in terms of global manufacturing and how vulnerable manufacturers are in the US when steel or component parts from Mexico or China have a tariff placed on them. The US would be far better understanding how China is creating unfair cost advantage then providing companies manufacturing in the US incentives to level the playing field. Then the war could be fought on the technology front by focusing on the ways that China is copying strategic technologies and confronting them with a unified front with the major European economies.

Trump isn't going to accomplish any of this. In the end he will get a commitment from China to purchase US farm products then declare victory without dealing with the fact that China is pirating military and strategic technologies in a manner never seen in history.

We live in a global economy and the MAGA approach of the US against the world will come to a negative end for us.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
This has been an open secret for years. It seems both the government and corporate America put short term gains and a big ball of hope that China can be lightly nudged to do the right thing over long term concerns.
Practically no US based manufacturer would choose to manufacture in China considering all of the issues that develop from losing control of the technology, long supply lines with the corresponding doubling in inventory investment, quality issues, communication issues and on and on. It would not and could not happen except for Chinese government subsidizing production cost to the point that landed cost in the US are below actual material cost.

When a Chinese company doesn't pay the true cost for steel and utilizes equipment funded by the government, in other words the owner doesn't amortize the cost of equipment, it becomes impossible for the US company to compete.

When it comes to actual cost of manufacture it is generally impossible for the Chinese to manufacture durable goods in China and ship them 5,000 miles to the US on an actual cost basis. One only has to look at global automotive manufacturers building cars in the US and the fact that the imposition of tariffs in the US caused an immediate slow down in the Chinese economy.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
With their overwhelming population combined with the highest average iq in the world it may just be a matter of time.View attachment 3538
It is not so straight forward as that:

China does not nearly have food sustainability or water resources in the north.

Desertification threatens their northwest and Beijing itself lies in an extremely arid zone.

There is always political stress between the wealthy coastal areas around Shanghai and the political centers in the north.

Nuclear India lies contiguous to to them to the south with their burgeoning population and technology growth.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.