Clemson ending Track & Field & CC -- Men's

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Here's a shocker...Clemson is ending their Men's Track and Field and Cross Country programs as of June, 2021. Cited 2 million in savings as well as Title IX. They project losing 25 million in income due to the Covid pandemic.

• Sad
Reactions: B1GTide

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I hate this. Several Big Ten schools have already dropped a sport or two. Covid is hurting a lot of athletic departments.

• Sad
Reactions: B1GTide

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Why is it costing $2M? That seems crazy high for a non spectator sport.
I've read that Alabama averages spending ~$100k/year per football player when you include everything (scholarship, room & board, travel, medical, etc.). I'm sure T&F cost less, but not necessarily substantially so.

Rolltide51

1st Team
Nov 24, 2019
Here's a shocker...Clemson is ending their Men's Track and Field and Cross Country programs as of June, 2021. Cited 2 million in savings as well as Title IX. They project losing 25 million in income due to the Covid pandemic.

so why not suspend the program for a season or two and then bring it back if finances are there.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I've read that Alabama averages spending ~$100k/year per football player when you include everything (scholarship, room & board, travel, medical, etc.). I'm sure T&F cost less, but not necessarily substantially so.

I guess it adds up. I also look at scholarships as being a perceived value. Meaning that scholarship isn’t really costing the university much on the education side. It’s not like that kid was likely coming to the University if he wasn’t going to be playing football. So he might equate to 1/500 of the professors salary. I get the “taking care of you” expenses though. Those add up fast. 200 Steak dinners per year :)

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
My son was a walk on in a non-revenue sport. But they gave him a per diem when he went on trips with the team.

I also don’t see the academic part of a scholarship as a cost. Even if the AD writes a check to the bursar’s office, it is still the university’s money. If I take $20 out of my wallet and put it in my pocket, my net worth hasn’t changed.

And while some classes have size limits, a few extra people in a freshman or sophomore level class in a lecture hall isn’t going to sink the boat. I bet you could walk into a random 100 level class and take a seat in Tuscaloosa and nobody would notice.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
As an XC coach, I’m saddened for the student athletes. Some really talented athletes are going to miss an opportunity to get their school paid for, at least partially anyway. The top runner in AL is at Vestavia Hills with a PR @ 14:37 (5k trail running). He’s currently committed to UNC. I’ve got a 10th grader who, if he continues to improve, stands a chance at a smaller school. I just hope after all this there will be an opportunity for him if he wants it.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
As an XC coach, I’m saddened for the student athletes. Some really talented athletes are going to miss an opportunity to get their school paid for, at least partially anyway. The top runner in AL is at Vestavia Hills with a PR @ 14:37 (5k trail running). He’s currently committed to UNC. I’ve got a 10th grader who, if he continues to improve, stands a chance at a smaller school. I just hope after all this there will be an opportunity for him if he wants it.
I am right there with you. I coached track for many years and I hate to see this for the kids. Everybody is not made to play football, basketball or even baseball. Track gives kids a chance to succeed in something and for some it helps pay for their college or allows them to be a part of something in college other than a fraternity or other organization.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Why is it costing $2M? That seems crazy high for a non spectator sport.
12.6 scholarships, gear/equipment, travel/per diem, coaches salaries (although they might not save these if they share coaches between men/women). All that adds up really quick.

As others have said though, the real issue is title IX. By requiring even numbers of scholarships between men and women, to keep the TF&CC team for men, Clemson would also have to add 12.6 female athletes and another sport, with coaches, travel and overhead associated with that.

Title IX was put in place with the right motivations, but without the reality check that football has the highest number of scholarships and can require 3-5 womens sports to balance that out and for the most part, the womens sports don't generate any revenue for the athletic department or college.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.