Clemson, Georgia to meet in 2021 opener in Charlotte

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
I'm a bit surprised that Clemson wants to play this game. Without it they could just have their normal undefeated season in the ACC and coast into the playoff, while if they lose this game they must hope there's no other 1 loss conference champion at the end that would take the playoff spot away from them.
Locally, the Greenville News and even several Clemson fan sites had been pretty brutal about the 2021 schedule, which was just awful, arguably worse than UCF's the year they went undefeated and were shunned from cfp. It was an indefensible OOC schedule, Clemson would've been pounded by national media had they not fixed it. They were basically gaming the schedule so they would be guaranteed a cfp spot, but having an OOC schedule that weak was proving unpopular even among their own fans.

Reactions: Con

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Locally, the Greenville News and even several Clemson fan sites had been pretty brutal about the 2021 schedule, which was just awful, arguably worse than UCF's the year they went undefeated and were shunned from cfp. It was an indefensible OOC schedule, Clemson would've been pounded by national media had they not fixed it. They were basically gaming the schedule so they would be guaranteed a cfp spot, but having an OOC schedule that weak was proving unpopular even among their own fans.
I'll admit Clemson's schedule is very weak but I believe what hurts them more than the schedule is they frequently seem to stumble against an unranked team. Last season they came dangerously close against unranked North Carolina, a couple years before that it was unranked Syracuse. Since they've won 2 NC's recently and beat Ohio State before losing last season they have earned the reputation of a premier program so I don't really think they need a tough OOC game to prove they're legit. They just need to beat conference opponents by the 20-30 points they're expected to.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Being a fan of college football since the 60's, I remember when UGA-CU was an annual rivalry game, and it was one that fell victim to the expansion of conferences and the changes in scheduling mandated by the SEC and ACC. Personally, I'm ready to see the conference structures blown up and have some of these long-lost games brought back. It's time for Texas and A&M to get back on the field together, UF and Miami, Nebraska-Oklahoma, and I'm all for an Alabama series with another strong rival from another conference. A west coast series with USC would be a great benefit to both programs, or maybe a B1G opponent with a blue-blood type pedigree.
BAMA/ USC would be nice . Although there is a foul stench emanating from the program over the last decade or so,The Bama /Penn ST series was fun through the years and reached rivalry status at one point. I Would like to see either one of those renewed .
Bama history has definite ties to those two programs

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I'll admit Clemson's schedule is very weak but I believe what hurts them more than the schedule is they frequently seem to stumble against an unranked team. Last season they came dangerously close against unranked North Carolina, a couple years before that it was unranked Syracuse. Since they've won 2 NC's recently and beat Ohio State before losing last season they have earned the reputation of a premier program so I don't really think they need a tough OOC game to prove they're legit. They just need to beat conference opponents by the 20-30 points they're expected to.
That's the rub, they don't always beat those pansy teams by a whopping margin. They deserved every criticism thrown their way when they don't. Imagine Alabama with that schedule? The Tide should be able to play our 2nd string by halftime and clear the bench in the 4th quarter if we had cupcakes week after week.

Reactions: Con

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
If Trevor Lawrence goes to NFL after next season, then both Clemson and UGA will have new QB's for that first game in 2021. Should be interesting. It would be nice if they both could lose, but I don't think Clemson will lose any more games during the season, so I guess I would like UGA to lose. Then, if they lost another game during the season to Florida, for example, they'd have 2 losses and not make the playoff again. RTR
Correct. We only have Newman for one year. That means we'll either be starting a RS Freshman in Carson Beck or a True Freshman in Brock Vandergriff. I have no idea who Clemson would start if Lawrence goes to the NFL. I don't follow them all that much.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Correct. We only have Newman for one year. That means we'll either be starting a RS Freshman in Carson Beck or a True Freshman in Brock Vandergriff. I have no idea who Clemson would start if Lawrence goes to the NFL. I don't follow them all that much.
Clemson would start DJ Uiagalelie who is the #2 QB behind Bryce Young in this class who just signed. He is a big guy, I think a bit taller and more muscular than Trevor Lawrence. I watched him play vs Bryce Young's team on tv last month. He will be a very good QB for Clemson. I think Bryce will be better though for BAMA.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Clemson would start DJ Uiagalelie who is the #2 QB behind Bryce Young in this class who just signed. He is a big guy, I think a bit taller and more muscular than Trevor Lawrence. I watched him play vs Bryce Young's team on tv last month. He will be a very good QB for Clemson. I think Bryce will be better though for BAMA.
well, Young will be facing better competition. so there's that...

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Love to see this renewal of what used to be a great series. When I was growing up these two seemingly met every year.
Almost every year up until about '95...then only a couple of home 'n' homes since then...early '00s and early teens...I'd love to see it fire back up...

Rolltide51

1st Team
Nov 24, 2019
Great scheduling move on Georgia's part. This way they can lose the BIG game at the start of the year
and all of the pressure is off of their fans as to worrying about if they can win a big game. Brilliant!

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
That's the rub, they don't always beat those pansy teams by a whopping margin. They deserved every criticism thrown their way when they don't. Imagine Alabama with that schedule? The Tide should be able to play our 2nd string by halftime and clear the bench in the 4th quarter if we had cupcakes week after week.
...we still do that...in the SEC!!!

Reactions: sanjosecrimson

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
If the freshman starts, Beck is gone..Hello tOSU!!!😂😅😂

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: B1GTide

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.