Clemson looks bad... incredibly bad. (Clemson Spring Game)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I am not going to lie. Dabo and clemson are a team that I would love to see take a downturn. Not even a bad down turn, but a consistent 9-3 regular season like last season.
I’ll put it this way. I’ve never cheered for FSU in my life and have rarely found myself cheer for Notre dame. But lately there have been numerous times I found myself pulling for both against an orange and purple team….

buckeyeFB_

3rd Team
Jun 24, 2019
They still have an elite defense but DJ U just isn't a player at the QB position.

Dabo deserves credit for what they've built at Clemson but in increasingly looks like having Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence back to back took them to heights they're unlikely to continue to replicate.
Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence have a lot to do with it.

Also would say that their D-line between 2016-2018 had a lot to with it -- there was no real reason Christian Wilkins and Clelin Ferrell should've came back in 2018 given how high their draft stock already was, but they decided to come back anyways. If they didn't come back in 2018, I highly doubt Clemson wins it all that year.

I give Dabo very minimal credit for Clemson's success between 2015-2020 solely based on the fact that whenever they haven't had a 1st-round pick at QB, their offense hasn't performed well at all. Think about the 2017 season (Kelly Bryant was Clemson's QB) when Bama beat Clemson in the Sugar Bowl -- they couldn't gain a yard against y'all but Clemson's defense at least kept the game somewhat "competitive." In fact, Clemson's defense was the only reason they made the CFP that season.

Reactions: Con

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
actually watching the video. 90% of DJ's passes were check down passes, and he struggled with those lol

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
Justyn Ross went undrafted. Remember that guy?
DJ was going to be a number 1 draft pick heisman trophy winner and Ross was going to be a 1st round wide receiver

I will say that ross ran into some back luck on the injury front and then when he came back he had DJ throwing him the ball. The chiefs picking up Ross as an un drafted free agent was a good move, there is a potential good ceiling there, but they havent lost anything if he doesn't produce.

1900 yards and 17 touchdowns in 2 years with lawrence throwing him the ball

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
DJ was going to be a number 1 draft pick heisman trophy winner and Ross was going to be a 1st round wide receiver

I will say that ross ran into some back luck on the injury front and then when he came back he had DJ throwing him the ball. The chiefs picking up Ross as an un drafted free agent was a good move, there is a potential good ceiling there, but they havent lost anything if he doesn't produce.

IDK but alot of Dabo's rise and being at the top seems to have a lot to do with Mark Richt getting lazy and Florida St dropping like a sack of potatoes. Really in his prime he raided Georgia and Florida for recruits he wasnt getting early in his head coaching career.

Reactions: Con

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
IDK but alot of Dabo's rise and being at the top seems to have a lot to do with Mark Richt getting lazy and Florida St dropping like a sack of potatoes. Really in his prime he raided Georgia and Florida for recruits he wasnt getting early in his head coaching career.
Richt did beat Dabo in 2014

I will add miami to that list. Clemson has benefited from a very weak ACC and they paired it with top notch recruiting by some of the coaches no longer there. Clemson has out talented the ACC for a while now.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence have a lot to do with it.

Also would say that their D-line between 2016-2018 had a lot to with it -- there was no real reason Christian Wilkins and Clelin Ferrell should've came back in 2018 given how high their draft stock already was, but they decided to come back anyways. If they didn't come back in 2018, I highly doubt Clemson wins it all that year.

I give Dabo very minimal credit for Clemson's success between 2015-2020 solely based on the fact that whenever they haven't had a 1st-round pick at QB, their offense hasn't performed well at all. Think about the 2017 season (Kelly Bryant was Clemson's QB) when Bama beat Clemson in the Sugar Bowl -- they couldn't gain a yard against y'all but Clemson's defense at least kept the game somewhat "competitive." In fact, Clemson's defense was the only reason they made the CFP that season.
I feel like you're both agreeing and disagreeing with my point...?

Obviously their D-line had a lot to do with it. But Clemson has continued to do that. My point is that Lawrence and Watson were the outliers.

And I don't really see why Dabo doesn't get credit for that success -- he recruited these guys after all.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Justyn Ross went undrafted. Remember that guy?

Yea I didn't read all the details but it sounds like some teams were concerned about Ross's health and that it was pretty significant. He looked like a star his freshman year

Reactions: seebell

buckeyeFB_

3rd Team
Jun 24, 2019
I feel like you're both agreeing and disagreeing with my point...?

Obviously their D-line had a lot to do with it. But Clemson has continued to do that. My point is that Lawrence and Watson were the outliers.

And I don't really see why Dabo doesn't get credit for that success -- he recruited these guys after all.
I'm not really disagreeing with you -- I'm agreeing that Watson and Lawrence were the main reason they've had some great offenses/success under Dabo, but I was just also adding that I think their D-line talent for a while also had a lot to do with.

As far as giving Dabo minimal credit, my point was more related to the fact that Clemson always had great defenses while Venables was there, and whenever Dabo hasn't had a 1st-round pick at QB their offenses have struggled a lot, so those teams without 1st-round picks at QB might've been pretty mediocre overall if not for their defenses. Dabo is offensive guy, so I don't give him much credit for Clemson having a good defense, and it says a lot when you can't do much on offense without a 1st-round pick at QB.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Generally in major college fb, QBs don't improve much from year to year unless by miracle you are Joe Burrow and you get an NFL play caller like Brady or especially, Joey Freshwater, who knows exactly how to use you. You either have it or you don't. I'm sure he's a good kid but DJ just doesn't have it and Clemson can't coach him up.

Reactions: JayBama_in_PCOLA

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.