Game Thread: Clemson vs NC State (ESPN 3:30 ET)

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Alabama didn't win a national title in 71 or 72 and had a three-loss season in 1976. The Tide won one national championship 1966-77 and had two basic .500 seasons in there. I'd be inclined to actually call 1960-1981 a dynasty all on its own, but given the parameters, I can't.

And yes, I know we got hosed in the polls.
Well, Steely Dan didn't reference USC or Nebraska as winners in the world. Checkmate.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
But people here still want Karen Swinney… he looks like a better Dubose who got lucky than the next Saban. Seriously how many non ranked teams has he lost to or struggled with in the last 8 years.
I don’t think he will ever be at Bama........if Clemson’s fortunes continue to decline, he would probably like to be at Bama

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Just here to remind everyone that Clemson has lost 3 of 5 games since their coach all but said the words, "Ohio State doesn't belong in the playoff."

That's okay.

He didn't belong in last year's, and he doesn't belong in this year's, either.

Dabo Swinney - expert on teams that don't belong in the playoff.
Dabo honestly thought he would draw the long straw and get to play an easy team while Bama played a hard team......as much as I liked winning the NC against an excellent team, I would have really enjoyed skull dragging Clemson

Reactions: Con and Toddrn

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Their offense is the worst in the ACC based on their stats. Worst in the ACC. :ROFLMAO:
Evidently Scott was the brains within the Scott/Elliot duo. He’s been gone for 2 years and the offense has shown it. UTn dodged a bullet, though I don’t know how much better Heupel is. But Elliot would have been more difficult to fire.

Clemson is in trouble till they get rid of Elliot which Swinney will be reluctant to do - “family” and all. Swinney has been “serious” about that but it will be interesting to see how he handles it at a difficult time. Maybe the Steele departure should let us know. I don’t know what happened there.

You were right about your caution regarding Dabo until the coordinators changed. Most thought it was Venables, not many thought much about Scott/Elliot. Turns out it was Scott. Of course Watson and Lawrence (though IMO, overrated) were incredible college talents at the most important position.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You were right about your caution regarding Dabo until the coordinators changed. Most thought it was Venables, not many thought much about Scott/Elliot. Turns out it was Scott. Of course Watson and Lawrence (though IMO, overrated) were incredible college talents at the most important position.
Venables is the most overrated defensive coordinator in the country that still makes many Alabama fans shake.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I’m trying to recall the recruiting pitch Dabo used on Ross. I do remember Saban, Locksley & Gattis visting him.
I believe that was when Jalen was starting at Bama (2017) and struggling in the downfield passing game. My understanding was Dabo convinced him that as long as Jalen was QB at Alabama his skills “would be wasted” because Hurts’ inconsistency with intermediate and deep passes.

At least that is what buddy of mine that followed Justyn told me.

Reactions: seebell

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I believe that was when Jalen was starting at Bama (2017) and struggling in the downfield passing game. My understanding was Dabo convinced him that as long as Jalen was QB at Alabama his skills “would be wasted” because Hurts’ inconsistency with intermediate and deep passes.

At least that is what buddy of mine that followed Justyn told me.
Thats what Ive heard as well. Jalen made alot of receivers at Alabama frustrated in his first 2 years, and much of it bled outside the locker room sadly.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Venables is the most overrated defensive coordinator in the country that still makes many Alabama fans shake.
He was bad at OU. I was surprised that he seemed to “improve” at Clemson. Bama did not have much trouble with him except in the one game; even in that one ~450 yards but couldn’t get in the end zone.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He was bad at OU. I was surprised that he seemed to “improve” at Clemson. Bama did not have much trouble with him except in the one game; even in that one ~450 yards but couldn’t get in the end zone.
He really has never stopped our offense like some like to suggest. Locksley is a horrible offensive mind but even he lit him up. The problem was Locksley has no idea how to run an offense on the goal line.

Kiffin owned him.

Sark outcoached him with a quarterback that couldn’t throw.

Venables is a bogeyman that many Bama fans hype up. Aranda on the other hand is probably the real genius that costed us two national championships by exposing two of our quarterbacks for Venables to replicate.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Just here to remind everyone that Clemson has lost 3 of 5 games since their coach all but said the words, "Ohio State doesn't belong in the playoff."

That's okay.

He didn't belong in last year's, and he doesn't belong in this year's, either.

Dabo Swinney - expert on teams that don't belong in the playoff.
This may be the best of all-time on this board.

Reactions: Bamaatthebeach

Bamaatthebeach

1st Team
Feb 27, 2019
Myrtle Beach, SC, USA
As an SC resident, I can tell you that Clemson's woes are like manna from heaven to me. I can't wait to go to work tomorrow. I remember the early 2000s when I wondered if Bama would ever overcome all that mess. I seriously said that if Bama just won another single national title before I died, I'd be content. So I *always* try to be humble, respectful, never trash talk, ever, but they were so obnoxious when they last beat us that it will be just enough to say nothing and know that they know I'm laughing hysterically inside at their total implosion this season. Seriously, from what I've seen the last four weeks, they are terrible offensively.

Reactions: seebell

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Venables is a bogeyman that many Bama fans hype up. Aranda on the other hand is probably the real genius that costed us two national championships by exposing two of our quarterbacks for Venables to replicate.
Once college football teams realized that he was winning by stealing signals in big games, his time as a "great" DC was over. Yep - it was legal - no gripes from me. But that aint happening any more. The best teams now have a plan to deal with that, as do all ACC teams.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.