Clemson will not be challenged anytime soon in the ACC

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
their declines like UF has everything to do with coaching hires. UF has a great x and o coach but cant recruit. FSU imo has the best coach in that state. Diaz is a joke. Clemson will lose a ACC game look at UNC game this past year. Clemsons issue is when they lose better not be like this year or they are out. They play literally no one. USCE will fire Muschamp next year and that should hurt Clemson if they make a good hire.
Dan Mullen managed to get Mississippi State (!) to number one for five weeks in his sixth year as coach.
He did that by beating three teams in a row in the top eight (LSU/AM/Auburn). Mullen was the first coach in MSU history to ever make an appearance at my high school (about 35 miles from Starkvegas) while recruiting on a Friday night.

This is his third year and he went 11-2 last year.

You and I must have different views on what constitutes ability to recruit. At the time he was recruiting in Mississippi, Ole Miss was throwing around big bucks like they were Ben Stein.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Dan Mullen managed to get Mississippi State (!) to number one for five weeks in his sixth year as coach.
He did that by beating three teams in a row in the top eight (LSU/AM/Auburn). Mullen was the first coach in MSU history to ever make an appearance at my high school (about 35 miles from Starkvegas) while recruiting on a Friday night.

This is his third year and he went 11-2 last year.

You and I must have different views on what constitutes ability to recruit. At the time he was recruiting in Mississippi, Ole Miss was throwing around big bucks like they were Ben Stein.
maybe you should go see his classes. Also he lived off juco/MS players. very different than FL national recruits UF should be getting. 6th in the SEC this year 5th last year

Last edited:
Reactions: TiderJack

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
maybe you should go see his classes. Also he lived off juco/MS players. very different than FL national recruits UF should be getting. 6th in the SEC this year 5th last year
And behind who exactly?

Georgia - no surprise given their success
Alabama - no surprise there, either
LSU - who just won the national championship so no surprise

So from the get-go, he wasn't going to be better than fourth this year anyway.

ATM and Auburn are ahead of him, ATM has a much bigger state and should be ahead of him
with a national title winning coach and Auburn beat them down at the 3-star level (after losing to
him on the field just last fall with presumably a lesser team).

He's 8th nationally, which isn't bad. I hate to break it to folks but Alabama isn't the average anyone
can expect nor is Georgia.

What was Florida recruiting before Mullen got there?

National Ranking
2014: 9
2015: 21
2016: 12

To say "Mullen can't recruit" when he's getting higher rated classes than his predecessor is absurd. They took a hit his second year and moved back up to eight this year.

Keep in mind that at the time he's doing this, we are no longer in the 80s or 90s. Florida is a much larger state than Alabama (for example), but he also has substantially more competition within the state borders.

Reactions: The Ols

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
If UF is not in the top 5 every year, then they are not successful. Bobby Bowden acknowledged the advantage they held by having so many recruits in the state. For UF to let UA come in and get top receivers and players such as Tim Smith is not good...not that long ago we came in 2nd for players such as Tim Tebow and Emmitt Smith...now we are winning many of those battles -- or at least we have for the last 10 years. Quite frankly, UF, FSU and Miami have not locked down their state in years...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If UF is not in the top 5 every year, then they are not successful.
They were 11-2 last year with lower ranked classes and lost to the national champions and the division champions and finished number six in the poll.

That's not a successful year??????????

("Oh, but they didn't win the national championship" is a ludicrous argument).

Reactions: bama61

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
They were 11-2 last year with lower ranked classes and lost to the national champions and the division champions and finished number six in the poll.

That's not a successful year??????????

("Oh, but they didn't win the national championship" is a ludicrous argument).
I meant successful recruiting classes -- yes, they were very successful on the field.

Reactions: B1GTide

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I meant successful recruiting classes -- yes, they were very successful on the field.
But isn't successful seasons (i.e. 11-2) evidence that you're having successful recruiting classes? We define "successful recruiting classes" based on "Stars" given to recruits before they ever touch a college field. But the reality of it is those recruiting classes aren't proven good until they pay off on the field. Correct?

Reactions: The Ols and B1GTide

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
But isn't successful seasons (i.e. 11-2) evidence that you're having successful recruiting classes? We define "successful recruiting classes" based on "Stars" given to recruits before they ever touch a college field. But the reality of it is those recruiting classes aren't proven good until they pay off on the field. Correct?
Can you really say they were his classes? We have guys that are just now going into their junior year. I get what your saying but UF should be top 5 nationally every year they have more of a recruiting advantage than us and LSU. When UF is a recruiting machine they are getting kids from all over but especially North East and Atlantic Coast. It kind of goes back to what I said that Dan Mullen is a top x and o coach but isn't great at recruiting. He just hired his best recruiter this year in Brewster. UF fans even acknowledge that Dan needs to do better in recruiting just like Mac needed too.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
I agree with Jam...I also think that success in recruiting and success in development are 2 different measurements...both are necessary to have a top program YIYO. :)

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Can you really say they were his classes? We have guys that are just now going into their junior year. I get what your saying but UF should be top 5 nationally every year they have more of a recruiting advantage than us and LSU. When UF is a recruiting machine they are getting kids from all over but especially North East and Atlantic Coast. It kind of goes back to what I said that Dan Mullen is a top x and o coach but isn't great at recruiting. He just hired his best recruiter this year in Brewster. UF fans even acknowledge that Dan needs to do better in recruiting just like Mac needed too.
Agreed. Mullen is a Meyer disciple and Meyer's classes at UF were ranked #1 a couple of times with most of the talent coming in-state. UF fans expect top 5 classes with the overall talent in FLA and they are not getting them even with the early success Mullen has had. The next 2-3 years will certainly tell us more but I agree with your overall assessment to date.

Reactions: B1GTide

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
What was Florida recruiting before Mullen got there?

National Ranking
2014: 9
2015: 21
2016: 12
So why are you leaving out Urban Meyer/ Champ recruiting classes ?
2013 # 2 SEC #3 Nationally
2012 #2 SEC #3 Nationally
2011#5 SEC #11 Nationally (coaching Change)
2010 #1 Both Nationally and SEC
2009 #. 4 SEC and # 7 Nationally (coaching scare)
2008 #2 SEC #5 Nationally
2007 #1 Both Nationally and SEC
2006 #2 Nationally #1 SEC
2005 #12 Nationally #3 SEC (Coaching change from Zook)
2004 Ron Zook #5 Nationally #2 in SEC
2003 # 1 Both Nationally and SEC
2002 #10 Nationally #3 in SEC

UGADawginVA

Suspended
Dec 24, 2017
Totally agree, I was on tigernet the other day and I posted that I would trade the "recruiting title" for their schedule. I got jumped on immediately...I think I struck a nerve...their schedule is a joke.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.