Climate News & Discussion: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
It's all about confusing weather with climate...
You had mentioned in an earlier post about the possibility of a coming ice age. I went looking for that and found a scientific discussion on PBS "Is an Ice Age Coming". I won't attempt to summarize the video but found that the eccentric nature of the Earth's path around the Sun and change in the axis of the earth over hundreds or thousands of years does lead to an Ice Age being the norm versus the exception for the planet. The ultimate question the narrator leaves us with... Have we injected enough greenhouse gases into the atmosphere superheating the earth to delay indefinitely the next ice age? As many of us here I am doubtful as to whether the human race will survive global warming in order to make it to the next cooling of the northern hemisphere.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

thanks for the article. 20+ years ago when i worked for patagonia, they paid for me to do an internship with the dogwood alliance and i worked for danna smith, who is pictured and quoted later in the article. she is awesome and has done a ton of great work trying to help save the forests throughout the southeast. glad to see she and dogwood alliance are still chugging along.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
And we've been below. HSV's high on 7/2 (raining) was 78F, almost beating the record and coming in second...
It's been warmish this week in Memphis, probably about normal. Brutally humid this AM, but then a front passed through and its currently 75° outside.

I'll take it.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Man, that's criminal.

But yeah, keep clapping yourselves on the back, Eurobozos... SMH

I think it is a combo of 2 things. #1 Their lawmakers are just as dumb as ours and created something with a massive loophole by cramming a law through without really understanding what they were doing. And #2 corporations are going to go until the environment is destroyed without any regulations. I'm generally a libertarian and believe for the most part gov't should keep out of people's business, but corporations aren't people. This is a perfect example why there should be regulations over what corporations can do. This is dumb. Burning coal is literally better for the environment than this.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
My next door neighbor bought a place in Palm Springs a few years ago and has had his house here on the market for a while, but took it off. He may be rethinking this. Average daily temperature of 93.5F for June in Palm Springs.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Exceptional warmth has seeped well into the Arctic Circle in the northernmost parts of Norway and Finland this week -- areas that are typically locked in ice and snow for a large portion of the year.

Banak, Norway, reached a high of 94 F (34.3 C) on Monday which was a record for the site, according to the Norwegian Meteorological Institute. This was flanked by highs of 93 F (33.7 C) on Sunday and 89 F (31.7 C) on Tuesday.

The Norwegian city climbed to 90 degrees F (32 degrees C) on Wednesday. The normal high temperature in Banak during the beginning of July is around 62 F (17 C).

Temperatures of this level are more typically seen in lower (more southern) latitudes. In fact, the high of 94 F (34.3 C) on Monday matched the highest temperature recorded in Miami, Florida, so far this year.
Town in Arctic Circle matches Miami's highest temperature this year

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
😲

I cruised the Rhine and Main Rivers from Budapest to Amsterdam...went through many of these places. That is really sad...they told us that when the river flooded they would open their water taps and flood their downstairs with clean water. The pressure would keep the muddy water out.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I cruised the Rhine and Main Rivers from Budapest to Amsterdam...went through many of these places. That is really sad...they told us that when the river flooded they would open their water taps and flood their downstairs with clean water. The pressure would keep the muddy water out.
Flood waters are more like sewage than just "muddy." That is the only type of cruise I find appealing. An ocean cruise into over-crowded tourist ports doesn't appeal at all...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Flood waters are more like sewage than just "muddy." That is the only type of cruise I find appealing. An ocean cruise into over-crowded tourist ports doesn't appeal at all...
Viking River cruises only have 180 people on board...and are really nice. They have educational tours and even lectures by professors at different stops along the way. Yes, it is tourism...but was much more enjoyable than I thought. (I was forced to go on the first one!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.