Climate News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
One of our local weather guys said a couple of days ago that, unless we had substantial rainfall late this month, we were on track for the driest first quarter in history. Also, he said that February was the coldest in 30 years. Extremes!
it seems like we have had a very wet last few weeks, but looking at the numbers, we are below average for jan-feb. last year jan and feb were 2 to 2.5 times the average. this is the most consistently cold/wet winter i can remember in a while.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
it seems like we have had a very wet last few weeks, but looking at the numbers, we are below average for jan-feb. last year jan and feb were 2 to 2.5 times the average. this is the most consistently cold/wet winter i can remember in a while.
All weather is local. I've had a bit over 8.5", year to date. That's extraordinarily dry, especially for a damp mountaintop. The weather guy was speaking of the HSV viewing area...

Reactions: 92tide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
All weather is local. I've had a bit over 8.5", year to date. That's extraordinarily dry, especially for a damp mountaintop. The weather guy was speaking of the HSV viewing area...
we seemingly had a lot of rainy days in jan/feb '21, but thinking back on it, very few of those days were heavy rains.

last year our lawn was a soggy mess dec thru mid/late march. and until this week, the trails i regularly ride on (about 4-5 miles from my house) haven't been fully dry since dec 2019.

all of the precipitation last winter and spring really made me miss kayaking. my friend who i used to do all of my boating with lives in asheville now, and the creeks up there ran a lot last year. when i lived in virginia, i had personalized license plates that said "forrain" and i still have that as part of my personal email address.

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I would be interested to know what the impact on our landfills have been during covid with the shop from home deliver to the home movement. I just can't reconcile how this is environmentally friendly.

Have posted similar stories in here before, but still SMDH...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I would be interested to know what the impact on our landfills have been during covid with the shop from home deliver to the home movement. I just can't reconcile how this is environmentally friendly.
I agree, but we are recycling everything at our home. Every box, every piece of plastic, every piece of styrofoam - all recycled. Most people up here are. But many people just do not care, so I expect that the overall effect will be devastating. To save human lives we are murdering countless animals around the globe.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
We are too. But there are a lot small towns and rural areas where recycling is not available or feasible.

I agree, but we are recycling everything at our home. Every box, every piece of plastic, every piece of styrofoam - all recycled. Most people up here are. But many people just do not care, so I expect that the overall effect will be devastating. To save human lives we are murdering countless animals around the globe.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We are too. But there are a lot small towns and rural areas where recycling is not available or feasible.
We live in a very small town in a very rural part of the country. There are more horses than people in our town. There is no excuse anymore. No excuse.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I agree but I live in Alabama... My hometown closed their recycling facility to supposedly cut costs. A place where you dropped off your recycling pick up was never an option. The residents there literally don't have a way to recycle plastic, cardboard, and aluminum.

We live in a very small town in a very rural part of the country. There are more horses than people in our town. There is no excuse anymore. No excuse.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree but I live in Alabama... My hometown closed their recycling facility to supposedly cut costs. A place where you dropped off your recycling pick up was never an option. The residents there literally don't have a way to recycle plastic, cardboard, and aluminum.
But the community allowed that closing to happen. Many other communities never demanded such facilities. We get what we pay for, and by not paying for this we have incurred a debt to the planet that we cannot repay.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
We were excited to be recycling plastic as well (until they closed our center due to lack of prison slave labor) and then we learned that the vast majority of the plastic recycling is a scam & most of what you recycle ends up in a landfill anyway or in a Southeast Asia country piled up or burned.

And via video doc-

We have since switched our strategy to getting as little plastic as we can. As next to impossible as that is we have cut back a lot. Try to mostly only eat at places where we get takeout in paper based containers or in plastic that we don’t mind reusing many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.