Coach Saban goes off on programs buying players (A&M, Jackson State, and Miami mentioned)

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I think what he's essentially pointing out is that

1) NIL was intended to simply allow star athletes to make money off their name and was specifically not supposed to be "pay for play" but schools (and really, boosters/collectives) have realized the NCAA is now toothless and are going to do whatever they want

and

2) He doesn't like it but if this is the way it's trending we'll win this way too -- if our boosters are ready to open up their checkbooks.

That said, I am surprised he mentioned/targeted schools by name. Accusing a division rival of "buying their entire team" is a pretty bold statement, and going after Jackson State and Miami seems odd.
The problem is that there's a lot more money in Texas than in Alabama. Alabama is one of the handful of states without a single billionaire. TAMU and Texas have much deeper pockets and can afford to buy players. Alabama can't do it to that extent.

Mke4Bama

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2006
Cullman (Good Hope)

denver

All-American
Nov 11, 2017
I hope Saban said this to spur the NCAA into taking some actions to bring some structure to the whole NIL/Transfer portal wild west. Its a bold move to call it out but it needed to be said. Hopefully, other coaches will support Saban and maybe even some AD's with balls will too. Its not a sustainable model for CFB, so rapid changes need to be made to restore some semblance of order.

Reactions: GP for Bama

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I hope Saban said this to spur the NCAA into taking some actions to bring some structure to the whole NIL/Transfer portal wild west. Its a bold move to call it out but it needed to be said. Hopefully, other coaches will support Saban and maybe even some AD's with balls will too. Its not a sustainable model for CFB, so rapid changes need to be made to restore some semblance of order.

• Haha
Reactions: Bazza

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This is one game Saban can't win in the longer term because Alabama and all the rich folks in Alabama can't beat oil money. Every time we fill our gas tank we put more money into Texas. We all need electric cars or we are screwed. But Saban's not wrong and everybody knows it. Jimbo sounds just like Freeze when he was questioned, the lowder they protest they are innocent the more guilty you know they are. When Texas A&M hired Jimbo they did so knowing he would be all in to buy players.
Oh, he knows that. That's the exact reason he's speaking up...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Not sure he did……. Maybe in delivery, but he pretty much said what everyone knows
When you're someone as big as Nick Saban. Delivery is all that matters. Most people aren't going to care about your actual point if you give them sound bites to go off on. He was too specific in this case IMO

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
When you're someone as big as Nick Saban. Delivery is all that matters. Most people aren't going to care about your actual point if you give them sound bites to go off on. He was too specific in this case IMO
There are reports linking Prime’s player to a large NiL deal and I’m sure if you look you can see the A&M players deals as well. It should be fairly easy to link the players to booster owned businesses. He essentially acknowledged what everyone knows, now the accused may feel the need to vindicate themselves. The louder they protest with no substance the more guilty they sound.

• Thank You
Reactions: CoolBreeze

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
As we've noted over the years, CNS is always speaking to someone when he makes comments in a PC.

While it sounds like he calling out Jimbo and Deon, he's really calling on the NCAA to step up and govern for once!

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
There are reports linking Prime’s player to a large NiL deal and I’m sure if you look you can see the A&M players deals as well. It should be fairly easy to link the players to booster owned businesses. He essentially acknowledged what everyone knows, now the accused may feel the need to vindicate themselves. The louder they protest with no substance the more guilty they sound.
But he's not some random reporter. He's a coach in direct competition. And arguably the greatest to ever do it. This is something you see Kiffin do not something you expect Saban to do.

I personally think he should have stayed away from specifics.

Reactions: GP for Bama

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
The problem is that there's a lot more money in Texas than in Alabama. Alabama is one of the handful of states without a single billionaire. TAMU and Texas have much deeper pockets and can afford to buy players. Alabama can't do it to that extent.
And if one doesn`t think CNS knows that, well........

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
But he's not some random reporter. He's a coach in direct competition. And arguably the greatest to ever do it. This is something you see Kiffin do not something you expect Saban to do.

I personally think he should have stayed away from specifics.
If the greatest college coach of all time can’t call out this nonsense, then who can? Out of control NiL deals is a big deal. Saban obviously loves college football enough to take the point on this. People had to be named.

Notice Jimbo didn’t deny it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.