Coach Saban goes off on programs buying players (A&M, Jackson State, and Miami mentioned)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Defense tactic, turns it racial and suddenly it’s big mean whit guy picking on HBCUs. While it’s more than likely true (big time recruits don’t typically shun large schools to go to HBCUs), it was still a tactical error on Saban’s part.
I suppose one could counter that Saban understood it would really get people talking so that's why he did it. Kind of like being willing to sacrifice a pawn, you are giving something up but there is more at stake. It could be he just sees this issue as so vital that he needed to do all he could to make it a national conversation.

It certainly was risky though, and it's hard for me not to take it as a somewhat ominous sign. The Miami guy for instance already announced that he was paying 10 million per year, and while that's across the entire athletic department, when you compare that to the 3 million number Saban cited, it does show how things will by necessity escalate.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
This is one game Saban can't win in the longer term because Alabama and all the rich folks in Alabama can't beat oil money. Every time we fill our gas tank we put more money into Texas. We all need electric cars or we are screwed. But Saban's not wrong and everybody knows it. Jimbo sounds just like Freeze when he was questioned, the lowder they protest they are innocent the more guilty you know they are. When Texas A&M hired Jimbo they did so knowing he would be all in to buy players.

Reactions: GboyBama

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I think I have said this before but it seems there is an easy way to fix this. If the NCAA is serious about getting boosters out of "buying players" and restricting this to what would be considered legitimate NiL deals there are a couple of things they could do with rules that would likely hold up in court.
1) Any NiL deal OFFERED (offered, not necessarily signed or accepted) is binding for 1 year regardless of where the player decides to go to school. This would eliminate these big money boosters from offering ridiculous sums of NiL to "come to A&M and College Station Cadillac will give you $1M to put your face on a billboard". Those deals would have to wait until the player was actually signed since College Station Cadillac would not want an Alabama player on their billboard ;).

2) Schools must publish a list of NiL deals for all players. Who they are with and the purpose/nature of the NiL deal. Deals are subject to audit for legitimacy of the source funds. That would prevent Joes Plumbing in Bryan, TX, who grossed $250K in 2021, from giving a $500K NiL deal to someone because in 2022 they suddenly have a new angel investor, AggieBoosters, LLC, who coincidently invested $500K in their business to be used for "marketing".

Point here is - if I can think of this, so can the NCAA and their lawyers. They talk a big game but until they show me something I will continue to believe that they have no real desire to control this.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
This issue just got a great big dose of 'sense of urgency'. Boosters buying players is no longer a well-guarded secret. I really don't understand why this is so hard to police. Fairly easy to see who is using NIL as a recruiting tool and that boosters are involved. Isn't that still a major NCAA violation? My take is that this is really about calling out the NCAA for their inaction.

Wonder if that's what happened with our TE recruit that went to Miami.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Part of the reason Saban may be dropping this media bomb is that if recruiting turns into an arms race of money, we will severely lose to aTm and the Longhorns and it won't ever be close, ever.

Notre Dame will also begin its ascension back up the pecking order as well. The amount of money they have is SIIIIIIIIIIICK!!!

Reactions: GboyBama

Patton

1st Team
Nov 10, 2021
And ponder this. CNS has had a boatload of players and young men both successful on the field and the classroom,and some NOT as much.At Toledo,sparty,LSU,and in TitleTown. Young men of all walks of life. From Will Anderson to Eyabi Anoma. From Bryce Young to Blake Barnette.From Jonathan Allen to Antonio Alfano.From Julio Jones to Slade Bolden.From Cam Robinson to Amari Kight.From Donta Hightower to Ben Davis.From Patrick Surtain to Josh Jobe.From Najee to Kamara.And well over a hundred or more Coaches. And these were just Alabama Alumni.

Have you EVER heard of 1 player/Coach/Organizational person make ANY accusations towards Coach about EVER conducting business in the program with its members(Including players) that was NOT done above reproach?....EVER????

The only time you hear it comes from other places and BOZOs like Knoxville,as an example.So if you believe that the "Code of Silence" is so strong at Alabama with past players,Coaches,and staff and nobody would "dare" break this code and say something. I yell ********e.

What I say is this. Coach Saban is so secure in how he has conducted his business he doesnt give a rat's ass about how Fisher, Phat Phil or all the other people and places that suffer from TIDE envy,reacts and responds to what he is saying. Nail? Meet hammer.And sure. He is undoubtedly trying to protect his "gameplan" and formula for how he has been so successful.And he isnt saying anything negative about NIL used in a proper way. After all,BY had a million locked up after a year on campus.And he is worth it.Coach just has a problem with securing young players before they step foot at College Station by giving 25+ young men millions of bucks EACH before you really know if they can play or not.

And like I have said. I forget how many so-called "5-star" D-Linemen out of HS A+M just hired for big money.Maybe 5 I believe.But I wouldnt trade Isaiah Hastings,Big Jaheim Oatis,and future All-American Khurtiss Perry for all 5 of them,plus a couple of the 4-Stars....RTR

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
What I am sure Saban understands but most of the buffoons like Jumbo & company do not is that all of this money going into these booster club LLC's will ultimately come out of the pocket of the University's booster donations and will end up hurting facilities and the lower tier sports. If I am giving $1M a year to Alabama do you think I am going to start give $1M to Alabama and $1M to Bama Boosters, LLC? Seriously doubt it...

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Something Saban said that no one has mentioned, and I have to paraphrase….
Someone in this room will go pay big money and bring in a kid to sign. You walk in the stadium strutting about it. They turn out not to be that good and never get on the field. Then you get mad and refuse to help the program any longer.
Again, that’s the best I can remember the gist of what he said.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I'm sure we'll get a response from Jimbo either today or tomorrow. Oct 8 should be very interesting and has me wondering if Saban and Jimbo will even shake hands before or after the game.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I'm sure we'll get a response from Jimbo either today or tomorrow. Oct 8 should be very interesting and has me wondering if Saban and Jimbo will even shake hands before or after the game.
And I'm certain we don't have to "wonder" if Saban really cares, one way or the other. Most of these coaches' "friendships" are candy shell thin and probably better described as cordial enemies.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think what we all know is ANY set of rules will be abused/broken by some.

CNS explained how NIL is supposed to work and he exposed how it is being abused.

I profess to know nothing about how to fix it, but I'm wondering if one solution is the NIL money goes into a trust fund and it's not available until a player has played in a fixed number of games. At least this way, a person has to earn it on the field playing for the school. NIL implies a person's "name" is recognizable enough to make money off of it. Sounds like CNS is calling out NIL deals being made off of "potential" or "recruiting stars" not actual success on the field.

Reactions: Snuffy Smith

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

CNS explained how NIL is supposed to work and he exposed how it is being abused.

I profess to know nothing about how to fix it, but I'm wondering if one solution is the NIL money goes into a trust fund and it's not available until a player has played in a fixed number of games. At least this way, a person has to earn it on the field playing for the school. NIL implies a person's "name" is recognizable enough to make money off of it. Sounds like CNS is calling out NIL deals being made off of "potential" or "recruiting stars" not actual success on the field.
Whatever lack of parity there was/is in college football, if there's not some tight framework quickly put in place on the NIL and I'd also say transfer portal, there will be even more of a lack of parity. Because the schools that can pay the most NIL's will also be able to not only get the top kids out of HS, but also lure away kids that started off at another program (WR from Pitt) that have developed into a 5 star player via both the NIL and transfer portal.

I think Saban sees that as well and is pressing the "red button" now. We've gotten two studs via the transfer portal, RB from Ga Tech and the lineman from Vanderbilt. But not because of enticing NIL deals. If these NIL deals are kept in the wild wild west format, we won't be able to compete.

Reactions: BamaMoon

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006

I think you are right, these kids are getting paid off of a HS career, not earning the NIL at the collegiate level. When the whole thing started I saw all of the Bama players who just got to campus, signing on to some deal to play video games online with random people. I was thinking, you are never going to get on the field, this is going to take so much of your time because you are making money at it, that you are going to skip out on studying the playbook and voluntary training needed to get on the field and in essence, the big paycheck of the NFL.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.