Coach Saban goes off on programs buying players (A&M, Jackson State, and Miami mentioned)

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I had a lot of debates back and forth, but if you really dig down you are addressing an issue that's pretty dangerous to Alabama.

If A&M can spend ten times as much on NIL as Alabama, that does put Alabama in a situation that might not be sustainable.
They claimed what Bama did was unfair, but now they are spending money with abandon to create an unfair situation to other schools

they can rant all they want but Saban basically told the truth

Reactions: DzynKingRTR

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Deon decided to throw that card, huh?
And see I don’t like that, because, sure the #1 recruit going to an HBCU is a nice story, I was happy for him but you can’t tell me he went there for free, and if he didn’t, that’s fine!

At the same time though, Deion shouldn’t act like talking about HBCUs are off limits now, you start getting high profile recruits, you WILL be in the discussion and that’s part of it, you wanted to raise the profile of HBCUs? You got it now. Welcome to the big leagues Prime.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
And see I don’t like that, because, sure the #1 recruit going to an HBCU is a nice story, I was happy for him but you can’t tell me he went there for free, and if he didn’t, that’s fine!

At the same time though, Deion shouldn’t act like talking about HBCUs are off limits now, you start getting high profile recruits, you WILL be in the discussion and that’s part of it, you wanted to raise the profile of HBCUs? You got it now. Welcome to the big leagues Prime.
Deon has no defense for what is going on………. They paid that kid and can’t prove otherwise. He just threw the race card to shield himself so he can scramble to come up with some BS response…….. best he could do is admit it but he wont

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Well he isn't wrong. Probably shouldn't have said it, but he is not wrong.
Dude has an obligation to say it. Best coach in the game calling out in public exactly what is going on. He is saying it is not sustainable for most programs and yes, there are some blue bloods with deeper pockets than others. That said, Coach is the master. If this is going to be a wide open free for all then I imagine there are more ways than one to skin an NIL cat...ways yet to be determined. THAT is what he is saying.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'm sure some of you are right and this was just Saban telling a room full of boosters that they need to step up their spending. But I'm still surprised he did it with a camera on.

Jimbo's response will be interesting

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's one thing for a kid to pick another "prime time" school at the last minute, but does Deon really think anybody believes a kid would pick Jackson State over a traditional power on signing day without some $ incentive???

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I think what he's essentially pointing out is that

1) NIL was intended to simply allow star athletes to make money off their name and was specifically not supposed to be "pay for play" but schools (and really, boosters/collectives) have realized the NCAA is now toothless and are going to do whatever they want

and

2) He doesn't like it but if this is the way it's trending we'll win this way too -- if our boosters are ready to open up their checkbooks.

That said, I am surprised he mentioned/targeted schools by name. Accusing a division rival of "buying their entire team" is a pretty bold statement, and going after Jackson State and Miami seems odd.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
That said, I am surprised he mentioned/targeted schools by name. Accusing a division rival of "buying their entire team" is a pretty bold statement, and going after Jackson State and Miami seems odd.
Well, this is one of the reasons I love this Coach. EF Hutton. He knows how to get things off dead center and seems everything he said has either been reported or widely speculated. So, he says, let's talk about it.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.