Coach Saban goes off on programs buying players (A&M, Jackson State, and Miami mentioned)

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
The more I've thought about it, the more I'm glad he decided to kick this hornet's nest. Why do we care what everyone else thinks? They already hate Alabama.

It's a problem that needs to be fixed. They can spout off all they want to about the SEC's cheating, and us in particular with Albert Means and all of their insinuations. But lest we forget, only one conference folded in large part because of the cheating of its members, 90% of which resided in one state, one of which was the only team to ever actually receive the ncaa death penalty.
I agree. I think Coach Saban just put the process to "fix" or at least reign in NIL on the fast track.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
So Jimbo denies he's guilty and did it the right way, but he isn't smart enough to fix it?

If he told one truth he isn't smart. He really doesn't have a clue what happened behind the scenes with NIL contracts. That's exactly the vacuum needed for them to sign 7 five stars, which is historically unprecedented before NIL. Just claim you know nothing. Yeah Jimbo, we know you aren't smart.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
Does anyone else think that a team full of 18-20 year olds that are now considered "new money" could find a way to self-destruct? Most of these kids haven't seen anything close to the amount of money they may soon be getting. If a team doesn't have the structure in place to manage this new found "success" I can see it quickly getting out of hand. Flashy cars, extra cash, high end clothing, etc. No one is going to stay in and not show off all that. We're talking about 20-year old kids here.

What happens when you don't perform as expected and your NIL deal fades? How about when a non-starter has a higher NIL deal than a starter? I'm just saying...sometimes "new money" has a way of ruining things for themselves and others at times.

I don't know the details of how Saban and Bama manage this, but I'm confident in what they have in place to hopefully ensure this doesn't get out of hand.

• Thank You
Reactions: Con and bvandegraff

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
He is playing it by the book and not taking full advantage of the loopholes others are using to openly and directly recruit players for pay, YET.
If there are no consequences or specific rules and guardrails so to speak put into place then he is willing and preparing to adjust in order to compete and win.

He also gave a warning, much like the transfer portal, and referenced the possible effect to other university sports programs if college football becomes pay for play.

I said initially when this all started regarding the nil that is was like putting the cart before the horse and literally opening a pandora’s box. RTR

Reactions: Bidgoodman

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
That discussion about CNS leaving Bama for retirement...it just got more real.

Is this the kind of thing that pushes him out earlier? OR, does it make him fighting made and give him an extra few years to stay and fight?

Reactions: RollTide_HTTR

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Is this the kind of thing that pushes him out earlier? OR, does it make him fighting made and give him an extra few years to stay and fight?
I don't think it's going to push him out. It's another challenge to overcome. He relishes those.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Does anyone else think that a team full of 18-20 year olds that are now considered "new money" could find a way to self-destruct? Most of these kids haven't seen anything close to the amount of money they may soon be getting. If a team doesn't have the structure in place to manage this new found "success" I can see it quickly getting out of hand. Flashy cars, extra cash, high end clothing, etc. No one is going to stay in and not show off all that. We're talking about 20-year old kids here.

What happens when you don't perform as expected and your NIL deal fades? How about when a non-starter has a higher NIL deal than a starter? I'm just saying...sometimes "new money" has a way of ruining things for themselves and others at times.

I don't know the details of how Saban and Bama manage this, but I'm confident in what they have in place to hopefully ensure this doesn't get out of hand.
and don't forget the ladies

Reactions: rjtide

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Agreed. Its changed my opinion on it some. I wouldn't be surprised if he's very close to done.

Will be interesting to see what Saban says tonight on whatever radio show he's supposed to be on

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

Did I hear Jimbo say "he's never cheated?" I guess he's talking just about football?

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Trying to decide which thing works better to describe Jimbo/Prime: Shakespeare's "Methinks he doth protest too much" or Claude Rains being "shocked, SHOCKED" in Casablanca.

Jimbo is a doofus who will be completely unable to control the Chernobyl-like toxicity of his locker room when either A. his big-dollar recruits don't see the field right away and enter the portal or B. his proven starters/leaders see what these kids are getting paid without a single day's work in the program and enter the transfer portal.

I do have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying watching Jimbo get his panties into a total twist. Saban is now living rent-free in that empty little head of his.

Guessing Bryant-Denny will be like the Roman Colosseum if Bama builds a big lead (CNS ain't calling off the dogs this time).

Last edited:

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
Texas A&M violated the spirit of the NIL by creating collectives. They are like a current version of SMU in the 1980s. SMU had every player on salary now Texas A&M has emulated that model. Saban may be the last defense to restore sanity to college football.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
I think the concerns over the lack of big-money types in the state of Alabama may be overblown. I'm guessing that there are some seriously wealthy Bama alums/fans outside the state's borders, and Saban certainly has a national brand that would attract big $ if NIL continues in this fashion.

As others have said, I think Saban's ultimate goal is to get the NCAA to actually do its job for the first time in years. If he makes Jimbo and Neon Deion howl, that's just gravy.

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
Fisher sounds like the fox from Zootopia. You don't like the question you're asked, ask a different question and then answer that question.

"They bought their players, which is allowed but against the spirit of NIL."

"Did we break the rules? No. We didn't break any rules." Sounds like he's trying to spin the original comment to deflect from what was done.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
It's going to be interesting watching those 7, 5 stars turn the program inside out when they don't get their way.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.