Coach Saban goes off on programs buying players (A&M, Jackson State, and Miami mentioned)

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
You can be sure that Coach Saban is going to build a prototype NIL Process in place including a collective. It will not have borders. It will not have special amounts for certain players. I’m guessing he’s going to grow it to where it’s so big, that every player on the team makes out.

In my years of watching Coach Saban, I’ve never seen him not pose questions to the world that he already didn’t have an answer for. I promise you he’s about to create a beast out of this. The quote about all the players being paid the same is one that no one’s really talking about, and I think it’s part of his plan.

This way signing with Alabama has a clear understanding of what you were going to be a part of. But we do not pay more for one position versus another, or one player versus another. Outside of the collective you can earn money not dictated by Bama. But within the collective, you’re all the same, and it’s going to be healthy

Last edited:

Patton

1st Team
Nov 10, 2021
I believe Tony Mitchell is the Alabama kid who just visited A+M and then wanted to know what the Tide would give him in comparison to what A+M has offered. Plus of course James Smith and Russaw want to know how much a school and Alabama will pony up for their services.With those demands before the issue is rectified,I am sure that CNS will just stay away from those types of guys for the near time being.But you kind of have to believe that these kinds of things happening right now,in real time,along with Addison, is what finally set him off to finally say "OK" boys..Gloves off....

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
What if an aggie fan tries to slap CNS? It would hit the fan then. They might have have to call off this years game. Honey, where's the popcorn.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Alabama has no billionaires (neither does MS).
Texas has 48. Florida has 44.

Alabama has about 95,000 households that can be considered millionaires.
Texas has 650,000. Florida has 500,000.

If it's a spending race then Alabama is in trouble. A billionaire could spend 1/10th of 1% of a $billion and that would be enough to give each recruit $40,000. That's pocket change.
I agree. The folks who fund these giant NIL deals are the ultra wealthy

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Trying to decide which thing works better to describe Jimbo/Prime: Shakespeare's "Methinks he doth protest too much" or Claude Rains being "shocked, SHOCKED" in Casablanca.

Jimbo is a doofus who will be completely unable to control the Chernobyl-like toxicity of his locker room when either A. his big-dollar recruits don't see the field right away and enter the portal or B. his proven starters/leaders see what these kids are getting paid without a single day's work in the program and enter the transfer portal.

I do have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying watching Jimbo get his panties into a total twist. Saban is now living rent-free in that empty little head of his.

Guessing Bryant-Denny will be like the Roman Colosseum if Bama builds a big lead (CNS ain't calling off the dogs this time).
coach saban when ty simpson looks over to the sideline in the late 4th quarter

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
This is one game Saban can't win in the longer term because Alabama and all the rich folks in Alabama can't beat oil money. Every time we fill our gas tank we put more money into Texas. We all need electric cars or we are screwed. But Saban's not wrong and everybody knows it. Jimbo sounds just like Freeze when he was questioned, the lowder they protest they are innocent the more guilty you know they are. When Texas A&M hired Jimbo they did so knowing he would be all in to buy players.
True--Alabama can't compete against Texas oil money. We have the oil and natural gas but have not tapped its full potential.

Alabama can't beat Texas 0 percent state income tax which is also an incentive with NIL now in place. Players will go to Texas to save money in taxes too. Vote for a governor candidate that will expand Alabama's energy production and will eliminate the state income tax via energy revenues. Keep Bama football alive. I hate politics but we need our football. We got to find someone who will keep us in the game. Any suggestions?Gov debate

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
jimbo did not deny anything that saban said about the collective, nil, agreements, paying players etc. he just said that they did it the proper way legally with hard work and then deflected saying saban was attacking children. Leveraging nil loopholes in order to recruit players for pay may not technically be illegal, since jimbo or his staff did not directly do the bidding, but dressing a dog in a cat suit doesn’t make him a cat.

Saban just called everyone out and put them on notice. He is trying to do it in a way that he feels is the intent of the nil, that players should make money but not to use the nil as a direct recruiting tool creating a pay for play scenario. Simply put he just let them know that if that is the way they want to play and there are no consequences or rules established then he is more than willing and capable.

I ponder that when and or if there is a lot more transparency regarding all of this nil money and agreements then some people may regret what they have said. RTR

HSV_1969

Scout Team
Feb 28, 2011
I'm not an NCAA rules expert, but as many in this thread have pointed out, these collectives seem to me to obviously break rules as I think they are written.

Now, a HS senior can be told, if you sign with our university, our collective will guarantee that you get endorsement deals of $X. That seems to me to be a blatant violation of NCAA rules.

As Saban has pointed out, NIL was intended to allow players to profit from their situation after they had "created value for themselves" by becoming famous as a contributing player for a University. (i.e. Bryce Young could be paid to be in a "Heisman house" Nissan ad while still a student athlete at UA, or Montana Fouts could have financial gain from a clothing line at a Tuscaloosa store).

This may be a side-bar to the thread, but also, how is something like the Charlie Batch's offer to Caleb Williams not an NCAA violation? He announced on twitter an offer of $1M to Williams to come to Eastern Michigan.

Charlie Batch offers Caleb Williams $1 million to play at Eastern Michigan - Sports Illustrated

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
True--Alabama can't compete against Texas oil money. We have the oil and natural gas but have not tapped its full potential.

Alabama can't beat Texas 0 percent state income tax which is also an incentive with NIL now in place. Players will go to Texas to save money in taxes too. Vote for a governor candidate that will expand Alabama's energy production and will eliminate the state income tax via energy revenues. Keep Bama football alive. I hate politics but we need our football. We got to find someone who will keep us in the game. Any suggestions?Gov debate
I just don’t think it’s gonna come to that. I think they are eventually gonna regulate this and it will even itself out.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
jimbo did not deny anything that saban said about the collective, nil, agreements, paying players etc. he just said that they did it the proper way legally with hard work and then deflected saying saban was attacking children. Leveraging nil loopholes in order to recruit players for pay may not technically be illegal, since jimbo or his staff did not directly do the bidding, but dressing a dog in a cat suit doesn’t make him a cat.

Saban just called everyone out and put them on notice. He is trying to do it in a way that he feels is the intent of the nil, that players should make money but not to use the nil as a direct recruiting tool creating a pay for play scenario. Simply put he just let them know that if that is the way they want to play and there are no consequences or rules established then he is more than willing and capable.

I ponder that when and or if there is a lot more transparency regarding all of this nil money and agreements then some people may regret what they have said. RTR
^^^^^^^
This.

I had not actually listened to the clip of what Saban said until a few minutes ago. Everyone is focusing in on him calling out TAMU and Prime Time. What is getting overlooked in this is his last sentence, which comes right after the "We didn't buy one player" "... but I don't know if we are going to be able to sustain this in the future because more and more people are doing it."

So yeah - Saban just put them on notice. If we have to, we can play the same game.

Reactions: MILEHIGHTIDE

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Sankey about to put Bama and 8&4 (yes that's now official) back to back at Media Days.....

Aside from a few bizarre school choices, suddenly inflated recruiting classes, and hysterically defensive coaches, we have yet to see the full impact of unregulated NIL, especially the unintended consequences. I mentioned toxic locker rooms, but what will these big-money contributors do when their bought-and-paid-for players hit the portal along with all the money they poured into them? Sue them?

And what will a coach (especially a doofus like Jimbo) do when a preferred walk-on clearly beats out a big-money freshman for a starting DB spot? You don't think the coach will suddenly be under pressure from the boosters to play the kid they bought, especially when that kid threatens to transfer? and when the scorned walk-on goes public with how he lost his starting spot because the coach caved to the boosters? I'm not sure some of these collectives will get their money's worth...

One thing's for sure, I bet Byrne lets the PA director play "Take the Money and Run" before the 8&4 game this time.

Last edited:

Methylred

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 29, 2006
A lot of people seem to think that CNS is firing a warning shot before going all in on a completely unconstrained NIL system and beating them at their own game. I think that couldn't be further from the truth.

Alabama simply can't compete in such a scenario. Sure, the desire is there but the money isn't. Not even close.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

The 0% is only applying to whatever fraction of their games are played in the state of Texas. I guarantee the states will be going after this - deeming it to be earned over 12+ games and wanting their piece of whatever portion of that is "earned" during the game in their state.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
In my years of watching Coach Saban, I’ve never seen him not pose questions to the world that he already didn’t have an answer for. I promise you he’s about to create a beast out of this. The quote about all the players being paid the same is one that no one’s really talking about, and I think it’s part of his plan.
So you're saying CNS thinks thru everything he says and doesn't shoot from the seat of his pants?

We just saw the opposite in Jimbo...how many times did he say "despicable?" He must think that's a classy word or something.

Jimbo acted like the "kid" who thinks he's caught his daddy in a discrepancy and has a legitimate point only to learn they really don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Prediction: Jimbo just bit off more and said more than he planned to say and he'll live to regret it. Blindly denying and taking shots at the character of the most respected coach in NCAA football might not work out as well as his smug confidence thinks. Jimbo thinks he's got a leg up on CNS somehow and it showed in this "protest conference."

Jimbo's about to find out he's playing checkers and CNS is playing chess.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.