Coach Saban goes off on programs buying players (A&M, Jackson State, and Miami mentioned)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't think I've commented before but I won't review 22 pages to see if I have. The interesting thing to me is that Fisher issued a "non-denial denial." He never denied working out a tailor-made NIL deal for each player. He just said that he didn't cheat. Well, in CNS' eyes, that's "buying players." That, unfortunately, is really not against the rules at the moment. Saban, likewise, didn't really back down, just said that he shouldn't have named names (that's correct - he shouldn't have). Saban never said that it was "cheating" under the present rules. He just stated the truth, that it's buying players. I'll pay attention to Fisher when he says that they didn't work out an NIL payout number for each players...

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
I don't think I've commented before but I won't review 22 pages to see if I have. The interesting thing to me is that Fisher issued a "non-denial denial." He never denied working out a tailor-made NIL deal for each player. He just said that he didn't cheat. Well, in CNS' eyes, that's "buying players." That, unfortunately, is really not against the rules at the moment. Saban, likewise, didn't really back down, just said that he shouldn't have named names (that's correct - he shouldn't have). Saban never said that it was "cheating" under the present rules. He just stated the truth, that it's buying players. I'll pay attention to Fisher when he says that they didn't work out an NIL payout number for each players...
I would love to see Jimbo take a polygraph test when asked the question about what he knew. He’s had a Nick Saban complex for years. Without Saban and Bowden, he would probably be selling real estate or cell phones in West Virginia.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
So most people agree that what A&M did was not illegal, just unethical. What if buying players like that is made illegal in the very near future? Would there be an immediate investigation of A&M? Would they face consequences (like being ineligible for post-season play) or would there simply be no punishment since they bought the players before it was made illegal? Perhaps nobody really knows for sure but these are questions I wonder about.

Reactions: The Ols

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So most people agree that what A&M did was not illegal, just unethical. What if buying players like that is made illegal in the very near future? Would there be an immediate investigation of A&M? Would they face consequences (like being ineligible for post-season play) or would there simply be no punishment since they bought the players before it was made illegal? Perhaps nobody really knows for sure but these are questions I wonder about.
I don't think there will be any consequences to them for what they've done so far...

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
We may think he is calculating in his comments. His detractors will think he is whining and double down. If anything advances his retirement, it will be NIL. When the kids we need to win championships no longer perceive the development that coach offers as the primary benefit, he will be done. And Bama will need to figure out how it will compete in the new landscape where it's just a blue sky market.
I've thought from the beginning that the NIL would be the death of college football.

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
1. The nzaa has zero teeth and or any way to in reality enforce anything anymore.

2. Saban apologized for naming names only and jimbub did not deny paying players just that he and his staff did not pay anyone they simply just outworked everyone else. 😂😂😂

3. Saban himself stated that there are rules in place that prohibit and or deter this type of activity for coaches and staff but boosters are creating collectives to takes advantage of this loophole presented by the way the rule is worded. Saban is trying to respect the so called spirit of the rule, or his interpretation, and to do it the way he feels is the correct way. He basically put them on notice stating that if teams are going to be allowed to exploit this loophole without consequences then he may no longer be able to respect the rule either.

4. Saban is too old and has been around too long and has built enough clout, respect, and reputation credit that he probably does not really care what the “talking heads” say, he is going to express his feelings and damn the consequences, hence the apology for naming specific names and not retracting what he said.

5. Most would probably agree that Saban is a pretty smart guy and did not get to where he is without having some good insight and adaptability. He specifically talked about the early signing period, the cfp and its affect on bowl games, the transfer portal and now nil. He has been pretty much right on with his assessments. Maybe they should at least entertain some of his concerns.

6. He wants the kids to be able to build a brand for themselves and make money via nil but in his opinion the right way. There needs to be a more defined process and or rules that are more clearly written and enforced with negative consequences if these rules are broken. This would help to create what he called, “parity”, not a free for all who is the highest bidder type scenario. If it becomes the wild wild west then college football as a whole probably will suffer and with it other non-revenue generating programs at universities that are highly dependent on their football programs and it’s revenue contribution. There is a big picture and the nzaa has been a “cart before the horse” type organization when decisions have been made recently especially around the nil situation. They should be and should have been better prepared. RTR

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I’m seeing Spurrier back Saban. I’m seeing Sankey ban Kiffin from commenting (given Kiffin’s propensity for foot-in-mouth whenever he has a microphone in his face, and Kiffin’s previous comments on aTm recruiting, I can’t blame Sankey on that call), I’m seeing Sankey decry ”straight,” as opposed to, “direct,” payments to players, and Chris Fowler and Paul Finebaum back the truth of Saban’s comments.

After an ill-considered initial hoo-hah (not surprising in today’s sound bite world), Is anyone else sensing a shift in public perception in Saban’s favor and away from Jimbo’s excessive protesting?

Late Add: It’s seeming to be a bit parallel to the Chris Rock / Will Smith dustup. Consensus is that Rock probably shouldn’t have told the joke (parallel to Saban probably shouldn’t have named names, just pointed out the issue), but Smith’s reaction, like Fisher’s, was way more than what was warranted.

Last edited:

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
How in the hell did these deals get done without direction from fisher’s staff ? That’s all you need to know
Right there.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
How in the hell did these deals get done without direction from fisher’s staff ? That’s all you need to know
Right there.
Bingo. This is precisely what Saban is frustrated about. He didn't call it cheating - I will - but if the staff is arranging NIL deals, which is the only way it can happen unless everyone A&M offered a scholarship to was also offered NIL money, then it has to be stopped as it's literally no different than the school telling boosters which recruit to give how much money to in order to entice them to play.

If the NCAA is truly going to go after teams who violated the rules - which ATM did, though I'm not holding my breath - ATM will get hammered over this.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Bingo. This is precisely what Saban is frustrated about. He didn't call it cheating - I will - but if the staff is arranging NIL deals, which is the only way it can happen unless everyone A&M offered a scholarship to was also offered NIL money, then it has to be stopped as it's literally no different than the school telling boosters which recruit to give how much money to in order to entice them to play.

If the NCAA is truly going to go after teams who violated the rules - which ATM did, though I'm not holding my breath - ATM will get hammered over this.
This is why I see Coach building a collective where every player gets the same amount. And it’s going to be staggering. Then each kid that can earn additional outside of the collective will. But I have a feeling what he’s able to generate internally will be more than enough to compensate anyone. So they can focus on football

So now you get paid as a player, and you get access to the goat. He’ll come out on top

Which I think in turn, will result in banning collectives wink wink

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia

This X 1000!

Reactions: BamaFanInTally

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
This is why I see Coach building a collective where every player gets the same amount. And it’s going to be staggering. Then each kid that can earn additional outside of the collective will. But I have a feeling what he’s able to generate internally will be more than enough to compensate anyone. So they can focus on football

So now you get paid as a player, and you get access to the goat. He’ll come out on top

Which I think in turn, will result in banning collectives wink wink
Yes…….. another “Saban” rule…….. I hope Saban burns them down

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.