Coach Saban goes off on programs buying players (A&M, Jackson State, and Miami mentioned)

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
I think Coach Saban knew exactly what he wanted to say and didn't think of it as a mistake to name Texas AM. If he hadn't named someone specific it wouldn't have created a stir anything like it did. Probably wouldn't make news past a random article or 2. Maybe this is exactly what he wanted. Bring it right to the forefront. I can't really think of situations when he wasn't in total control of his words. Even his rants seem planned and directed. I think this puts pressure on Jimbo.
I agree 100%. Its the world we live in, where this sort of public attention is what it takes to get any kind of action. There's no telling what Saban and other coaches have said prior to this through proper channels, and heard crickets.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I agree 100%. Its the world we live in, where this sort of public attention is what it takes to get any kind of action. There's no telling what Saban and other coaches have said prior to this through proper channels, and heard crickets.
After reading the article about Sankey’s comments I’ve envisioned a conversation between he and Saban before all this that went something like, “Either you say something privately, or I’ll say something publicly.” Saban wasn’t bluffing either.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think Coach Saban knew exactly what he wanted to say and didn't think of it as a mistake to name Texas AM. If he hadn't named someone specific it wouldn't have created a stir anything like it did. Probably wouldn't make news past a random article or 2. Maybe this is exactly what he wanted. Bring it right to the forefront. I can't really think of situations when he wasn't in total control of his words. Even his rants seem planned and directed. I think this puts pressure on Jimbo.
A good example is I saw a quote from Kirby about NILs that was actually from a few days before Saban's comments. No one even discussed it really because he didn't name names and it didn't create a stir. Saban's comments were enough to even have Kirby's comments brought back to light.

He did what he had to do to get people's attention.

Bama was also slightly disfunctional at the time as well
The defense was absolutely terrible that game. If the defense plays like that again we have more to worry about than A&M...

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
A good example is I saw a quote from Kirby about NILs that was actually from a few days before Saban's comments. No one even discussed it really because he didn't name names and it didn't create a stir. Saban's comments were enough to even have Kirby's comments brought back to light.

He did what he had to do to get people's attention.

The defense was absolutely terrible that game. If the defense plays like that again we have more to worry about than A&M...
I don’t think the defense will be like that again

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
JT throws a little shade at JimBob:
During an interview with Taylor Zarzour on SiriusXM, Thomas was asked, “Nick Saban has a 24-hour rule (for celebrating). How long is the ‘Justin Thomas celebrate the PGA Championship’ rule?”
“Yeah, I got a 24-hour rule,” he said. “I’m not sure what Jimbo Fisher’s rule is, but I guess he’s got to win something first before he figures out his rules. I don’t know. I’m playing next week so we’ll enjoy it, but, at the same time, we’re in the middle of a very, very big stretch this season. So, it is great to be able to spend this time with my team but it is back to work.”

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
JT throws a little shade a JimBob:
During an interview with Taylor Zarzour on SiriusXM, Thomas was asked, “Nick Saban has a 24-hour rule (for celebrating). How long is the ‘Justin Thomas celebrate the PGA Championship’ rule?”
“Yeah, I got a 24-hour rule,” he said. “I’m not sure what Jimbo Fisher’s rule is, but I guess he’s got to win something first before he figures out his rules. I don’t know. I’m playing next week so we’ll enjoy it, but, at the same time, we’re in the middle of a very, very big stretch this season. So, it is great to be able to spend this time with my team but it is back to work.”
That’s not a little bit of shade. That’s eclipse worthy

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
This entire episode has revealed Jimbob for the scab he really is man. If I were an 8T4 fan I'd be sleeking out the back door...embarrassing.

BhamToTexas

All-SEC
Dec 25, 2020
This entire episode has revealed Jimbob for the scab he really is man. If I were an 8T4 fan I'd be sleeking out the back door...embarrassing.
They don't see it that way at all. They see:
"I am so sick of Saban I am glad someone finally stood up to him."
"Saban tries to bully everyone but he can't bully our guy."
"Saban is scared he sees us coming so he is trying everything."
"I always knew Saban was dirty, Jimbo said so."
"See Jimbo said we only gave out 1 NIL deal, everyone else is lying."
"We got that great class because A&M is better than everyone because of thumbs and class rings and cheers and the number 12 and male cheerleaders at midnight and stuff."

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
As if this NIL can of worms isn't enough

It's also just incredibly stupid, or if one is cynical corrupt.

Saban already listed Alabama's legit NIL numbers. Only 25 guys got any NIL deals (which makes sense, how many people can name 26 current Alabama players?) and that totaled 3 million. For arguably the most talented roster in college football.

The thing is once you get away from the biggest stars, you get to the point that it isn't even worth the resources of drawing up a contract. That's why about 65 guys on scholarship got no deal at all, because it's not worth the resources to bother.

Now ask yourself which high school athlete could possibly be worth a legit NIL? May be a few in the entire nation? All this could possibly be is some sort of corrupt Texas high school football shenanigans.

BhamToTexas

All-SEC
Dec 25, 2020
All this could possibly be is some sort of corrupt Texas high school football shenanigans.
Of course, just think how many parents will move their HS "star" to Texas to make money. Could only help the in state universities too right?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.