Coach Saban goes off on programs buying players (A&M, Jackson State, and Miami mentioned)

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
It's also just incredibly stupid, or if one is cynical corrupt.

Saban already listed Alabama's legit NIL numbers. Only 25 guys got any NIL deals (which makes sense, how many people can name 26 current Alabama players?) and that totaled 3 million. For arguably the most talented roster in college football.

The thing is once you get away from the biggest stars, you get to the point that it isn't even worth the resources of drawing up a contract. That's why about 65 guys on scholarship got no deal at all, because it's not worth the resources to bother.

Now ask yourself which high school athlete could possibly be worth a legit NIL? May be a few in the entire nation? All this could possibly be is some sort of corrupt Texas high school football shenanigans.
This misses the point. At the beginning I thought NIL would be players endorsing restaurants, car dealers and such. Now it's just money for signing the LOI. There are a few guys who will endorse a business but mostly the collective money is just cash for showing up. There is no return on investment because there is no investment. I'm not sure about this because I heard it on the radio, but a caller remarked that the NIL deals cannot have any stipulations regarding length of stay or performance incentives in the contract. If they give you money, it's yours even if you are kicked off the team that year. If you throw 25 tds you get more money, none of that. This is a mess I and several other guys here saw coming. Wait till next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: dtgreg

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Use to be a certain high school coach would go and scout the inner city programs, find the players he liked, find an apartment complex that accepted section eight government subsidized housing in the district, then find someone in the booster club to employ one or both parents/legal guardians.

NIL for high school athletes? For certain high school coaches this would be a “Merry Christmas” moment.

Reactions: dtgreg

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Great article by Jess on Coach Saban and the NIL. I truly believe that Jess has taken up the mantle of the late, great Cecil Hurts and i am grateful to be able to read thoughtful and intelligent commentary.
A fantastic article. The main thought I had as I finished reading, was that weak men create hard times. The ncaa, and a lot of these big time football programs, are led by weak men. So now we've got huge mess that will either be cleaned up by strong people like Nick Saban, or the weak people will "win" and the sport will be destroyed.

Perrett4Bama

All-American
Aug 28, 2001
Panama City, Florida

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
"According to the release from an official with the Pa. High School Football Coaches Association, White was told by Texas A&M that his Name, Image and Likeness money would be withheld if he participated in the Memorial Day event."

Wait, I thought Jimbo said.... nevermind 🤣🤣🤣
Just proves Saban correct when he said these kids needed agents. Contracts have fine print...

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
If they decide to leave NIL as it is, I’m not really sure we would have to worry about falling behind the Texas schools, or anyone for that matter. I understand that lots of schools have access to more money than Bama does, but look at our facilities and our staff now. We are the standard for all of college football. The same rich people who could pay for Texas NIL collectives have been available all along to support their program. I’m sure they’re facilities are awesome but it’s not like they’re way ahead of what we have.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If they decide to leave NIL as it is, I’m not really sure we would have to worry about falling behind the Texas schools, or anyone for that matter. I understand that lots of schools have access to more money than Bama does, but look at our facilities and our staff now. We are the standard for all of college football. The same rich people who could pay for Texas NIL collectives have been available all along to support their program. I’m sure they’re facilities are awesome but it’s not like they’re way ahead of what we have.
It goes back to what Crimsonaudio says. There are limits to what these billionaires are going to spend. They did not become billionaires, or millionaires, by dropping money on games that did not provide returns on investment. Paying college players provides ZERO ROI to a booster, except to his ego.

Tell me if the booster who brought Eric Dickerson to SMU still thinks it was worth it.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Never miss an opportunity to bag on Bama/Saban for not supporting the rest of college football in Alabama.

Talk about taking a hit in strength of schedule. It would be applauded when we play them, but then blasted as a weak schedule when it is all over. We get crucified every year for playing the cupcake before Auburn.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Talk about taking a hit in strength of schedule. It would be applauded when we play them, but then blasted as a weak schedule when it is all over. We get crucified every year for playing the cupcake before Auburn.
The bold is incorrect.

Here's my answer to the Tuskegee coach - build a team worthy of being on the same field as Bama and we'll talk. Otherwise stop begging for attention.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Never miss an opportunity to bag on Bama/Saban for not supporting the rest of college football in Alabama.

So you want your players to get embarrassed on National TV by Alabama’s 3rd string for what?

I watched Auburn play Alabama State twice in the past 4 years and I turned that channel like two drives in because it was so bad so like what’s the purpose of him wanting that game other than the University cutting Tuskegee a check for the beat down?

Reactions: Con

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
So you want your players to get embarrassed on National TV by Alabama’s 3rd string for what?

I watched Auburn play Alabama State twice in the past 4 years and I turned that channel like two drives in because it was so bad so like what’s the purpose of him wanting that game other than the University cutting Tuskegee a check for the beat down?
He wants the money

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.