Coach Saban goes off on programs buying players (A&M, Jackson State, and Miami mentioned)

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Exactly.

And I'll reiterate - Bama has the money to play this game, as there are real-world limits as to how much money boosters will throw at football, regardless of how much collective wealth they have.

This was just another in a series of warnings - and if CFB doesn't pay attention, they will be whining again in a few years when Bama pulls the #1 class every year.

Bimbo is honestly too stupid to recognize this. He's not Ed-waterhead-Orgeron stupid, but he's not intelligent enough to see the writing on the wall here.
Exactly what I was thinking as well! :cool:

FaninLA

2nd Team
Jul 9, 2019
Cantonment, FL
I confess that I have not been following the legal aspects of NIL, just the associated fallout in recruiting. I am not a lawyer, but I know a couple of them. 😁

Would it not be possible for the NCAA to say that in order to participate in our sanctioned sports activities, you have to be an amateur athlete, as defined by the NCAA. Getting paid to advertise for Joe’s Plumbing? Sorry, we no longer consider you an amateur athlete. These athletes are only providing value to these booster/collectives if they are participating in NCAA sanctioned events.

Am I missing something here? How the NCAA defines who may participate in their sanctioned sports seems like a way to handle this. Just like they suspend or expel those who fail drug tests. Or are associated with gambling.

Sorry, I am probably missing some of the legal findings that invalidate my supposition. And I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn Express or have my morning coffee! 🤪

It is also possible that I am incredibly naïve!

Reactions: AlexanderFan

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I confess that I have not been following the legal aspects of NIL, just the associated fallout in recruiting. I am not a lawyer, but I know a couple of them. 😁

Would it not be possible for the NCAA to say that in order to participate in our sanctioned sports activities, you have to be an amateur athlete, as defined by the NCAA. Getting paid to advertise for Joe’s Plumbing? Sorry, we no longer consider you an amateur athlete. These athletes are only providing value to these booster/collectives if they are participating in NCAA sanctioned events.

Am I missing something here? How the NCAA defines who may participate in their sanctioned sports seems like a way to handle this. Just like they suspend or expel those who fail drug tests. Or are associated with gambling.

Sorry, I am probably missing some of the legal findings that invalidate my supposition. And I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn Express or have my morning coffee! 🤪

Thank you for phrasing this question. We only know these kids because of the market created by the NCAA. Why not just say that players can have no ties to any boosters of the school they sign with?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

NCAA vs. Alston, et al...

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
The "Gentlemen" who went to college 150 years ago and played sports to "keep the American Male tough, like his esteemed forefathers" decided then that "ringers" were all a part of gamesmanship. We still have the pure sport: it's called Intramurals.

We could go back to one-platoon football and get rid of the big guys and decrease the roster and save money and... but we LIKE being the feeder for the NFL. We're doing exactly what we want to do.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.