Coaching Carousel 2021

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

A bit more info ... but not much: Harsin says it needed to be done.

Still a head-scratcher all things considered for a position coach early-season firing and now paying him $600k payout. Of course, Awburn has this Fire'em + Pay'em process down pat. Probably just a one-click button in the awbie HR system now.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I wonder why Harsin just didn't move him to another staff position?. If he is going to be paid at least get something out of him.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
A bit more info ... but not much: Harsin says it needed to be done.

Still a head-scratcher all things considered for a position coach early-season firing and now paying him $600k payout. Of course, Awburn has this Fire'em + Pay'em process down pat. Probably just a one-click button in the awbie HR system now.
Isn’t it somewhat contradictory to say “Williams did a good job for us” at the same time you’re firing him? 😉
Like saying to a girl “Hey you’re kinda cute…in an ugly sort of way”.
I don’t have any insider info, but the only thing I can think of that would push Harsin to make this decision four games into your first season as head coach would be “friction” between he and Williams or between Williams and others on staff.

If it is simply a situation where Cornelius isn’t making progress with wide receiver group to your liking, for the sake of continuity, most make that change at season’s end.

I know Harsin denies any problem among the staff, but why would you bring it up or address it if there is nothing to address?

Just very strange.

Last edited:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I wonder why Harsin just didn't move him to another staff position?. If he is going to be paid at least get something out of him.
Could be that Coach Cornelius “Everywhere But Vanderbilt” Williams was so well-traveled Horsin feared him entering the assistants transfer portal and absconding with that new high-powered Barn offense to…where else but UCF in what would’ve been a blatant act of creative espionage.

Personally longing for the headline that would’ve been the perfect West Georgia coda to the story:
“Horsin Hearsin’ Help to Greener Pasture”…

• Haha
Reactions: seebell and CB4

CoolBreeze

Registered
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Heard an auby on a WJOX show yesterday alluding to "loyalty" and how Harsin's Utah culture guys weren't meshing with the SEC guys they have on staff. Said something relating to insubordination but they all think they have the inside scoop so nevermind.

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Isn’t it somewhat contradictory to say “Williams did a good job for us” at the same time you’re firing him? 😉
I don’t have any insider info, but the only thing I can think of that would push Harsin to make this decision four games into your first season as head coach would be “friction” between he and Williams or between Williams and others on staff.

If it is simply a situation where Cornelius isn’t making progress with wide receiver group to your liking, for the sake of continuity, most make that change at season’s end.

I know Harsin denies any problem among the staff, but why would you bring it up or address it if there is nothing to address?

Just very strange.
I read on another board that it may have been a verbal conflict b/w Bobo and Williams during the game about the WR routes and which WR should be playing. At least, that is supposedly part of the story.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
There's a lot behind the scenes that we do not know...he must not have been 100% behind Harsin...that's the primary reason you do this at this stage in the season. This doesn't bode well for Harsin being a long terms HC at Auburn...

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Just very strange.
[/QUOTE

Using the world "strange" when talking about Auburn is not strange at all.

Reactions: CB4

lowend

1st Team
Feb 20, 2005
I feel like an established coach coming in either needs to bring their entire staff or none of them. Bringing some guys from the old staff on the other side of the country and trying to mesh local, Southern guys with that has got to be incredibly difficult.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Yep, Harsin needed coaches with SEC ties and coaches like Williams who has extensive knowledge of high schools and coaches in Alabama for recruiting purposes. I suspect the coaches he brought from Boise State had close times with him there and knew how to implement his system. Sounds good on paper, but it doesn't always make for a stable and efficient staff.

Last edited:
Reactions: seebell

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Im thinking he's just a sacrificial lamb in response to restlessness from some barn boosters over the lackluster play of the team, or what Graytide alluded to. However from what I've seen the WR play is not their problem--its' mainly been the Oline and QB play.

Tony Franklin had some very interesting comments on it if you can catch his latest podcast. Recall that he was fired by Tuberville midseason back in 2008.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Im thinking he's just a sacrificial lamb in response to restlessness from some barn boosters over the lackluster play of the team, or what Graytide alluded to. However from what I've seen the WR play is not their problem--its' mainly been the Oline and QB play.

Tony Franklin had some very interesting comments on it if you can catch his latest podcast. Recall that he was fired by Tuberville midseason back in 2008.
What did Franklin say? :unsure: