Coaching Carousel 2021

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Mark Stoops would be a fool to leave Kentucky for Oklahoma, and Cristobol would be a fool to leave Oregon for Miami. Just hope LSU is foolish enough to hire O'Brien, probably not gonna be that lucky though.
O'Brien is a genius and lsu would be lucky to have him. It would be a bummer but we would somehow move on and find a new OC. O'Brien might even take Marrone with him and we should insist on it.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
It increasingly feels like LSU misplayed their hand and have botched this. They went big game hunting and struck out, and the obvious choice in their own backyard went to UF without receiving any interest from them, presumably out of ego.

If they end up with Bill O'Brien I think that's a huge whiff. I won't be sad to see him go.

OU seems to have been blindsided by Riley's departure -- it's clearly been in the works for awhile and it seems like this is going to do serious damage to their 2022 and 2023 recruiting classes which compounds itself because they haven't had great recruiting classes recently and have been doing a lot with the transfer portal. I did some lurking on a few OU boards and they are very upset. Scattershot on who they want, everyone from Urban Meyer to Lane Kiffin to Cristobal.

One of the takeaways from this coaching cycle is that I'm not sure the meatgrinder that is the SEC is as appealing to everyone as it has been historically. If guys can contend for titles elsewhere with an easier road why not. Everyone will mock Riley for being scared of the SEC but I honestly think USC is a top five job and plenty of people would rather live in SoCal than Norman.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
12b1uli55bzin1gk2hx1nexum2

7 potential candidates for the Oklahoma job.
Outside of Fickell, who I don't think will take the job that's a pretty uninspiring list.

Matt Campbell is a great coach but better served for a lower profile job that doesn't require elite recruiting. Heupel obviously makes some sense but OU fired him as OC and there were UCF fans ready to drive him to the airport when he got the UT job.

Reactions: seebell

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
SC is a private school; so they don't have to release Riley's deal details. But; hearing 8 years for $100mil. This is getting CRAZY.
Wow.

It's interesting -- most of the other "big names" who were rumored for LSU/USC this year (namely James Franklin and Mel Tucker) got mega extensions. Riley not getting one should have been a tip off.

I wonder if he gave OU a chance to match that or if he was always looking to move on.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
SC is a private school; so they don't have to release Riley's deal details. But; hearing 8 years for $100mil. This is getting CRAZY.
Not really. If he invigorates the fan base, USC President Folt will end up telling folks the same thing Dr Witt said if hiring Saban at the unheard of rate of $4m/year in 2007: "Nick Saban is the best financial investment this university has ever made. We have made an investment that's been returned many fold."

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Wow.

It's interesting -- most of the other "big names" who were rumored for LSU/USC this year (namely James Franklin and Mel Tucker) got mega extensions. Riley not getting one should have been a tip off.

I wonder if he gave OU a chance to match that or if he was always looking to move on.
Rumors are that they did match it, but Riley still bolted.

Doubt we'll ever know the truth as OU will undoubtedly deny that they tried to keep him but couldn't (as any school would).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.