Coaching Carousel 2021

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Has Orgeron ever been considered a good "coach"? I'm talking legitimate, on-field, tactical ability. I know he's always been a hell of a recruiter - and that can mask a multitude of deficiencies in actual ability considering how important it is - but does he have (or has he ever had) any actual coaching chops?
I think all those that believe he is a good coach go back to his 6-2 record @ USC after Kiffin was fired, and then point to the Brady-Burrough year.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Jimbo is not going to LSU, Freeze is highly doubtful. Kiffin, in spite of his arrogance, is a good coach, and with the talent in LA, MS, and Texas he would have LSU competitive most every year. I saw an article last night that said, Fisher, Joe Brady, and Gus would be in the running. I too will lay in a supply of popcorn for the "Coaching Search on the Bayou".

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Agree on Jimbo.

Regarding Freeze and Kiffin, I agree that the fanbase might want them.

But each has exhibited behavior in the past that would present elevated risk for a school already up to its neck in Title IX criminal investigations and civil suits. So I’m not so sure the AD or president would go for either.

A swing through a couple of LSU boards shows a nasty division between the fanbase, and how the fanbase views the administration.

Thing is, if you think about who would realistically come to Baton Rouge, the pickings are pretty slim. As much of a buffoon as O is, going out on the market to replace him is no easy task.

If they do fire O (and they should, though I’m not convinced they will), I’ll buy popcorn to watch the ensuing movie.
More of a joke, but I think they may be more open to Kiffin. Freeze may be too toxic right now, but Kiffin might not be.

But they will ultimately get someone like Matt Campbell or Fickell unless Michigan and USC come open

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think all those that believe he is a good coach go back to his 6-2 record @ USC after Kiffin was fired, and then point to the Brady-Burrough year.
I think his tenure at USC granted him another chance at a HC position, but I was thinking somewhere like South Carolina at best. I didnt know LSU would be crazy enough to hire him.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
We hired Shula, any difference? Home town boy done good.
LSU wasn’t on probation or in the middle of a scandal that involved a coach and a girl named destiny. Yes the LA governor did apply pressure on LSU in terms of funds after they canned Miles but you can’t tell me that there were no better options out there.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think you guys are not giving Jimbo enough consideration at LSU. He doesn’t have to be second fiddle. He runs the state. Tons of talent.

And they will match money that A&M throws. I think he would take it. We shall see

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I don't know how to link it, but I just watched a video of 2 sports guys talking on another site. Apparently this summer at a camp, Coach O was fishing with his sons. An LSU fan yelled at him that he better win all the games this year... about 10 minutes later, Coach O comes back to this camp site area and verbally says stuff to this guy, trying to get a confrontation started. Someone recorded the audio and a quick video on their phone. Turns out, one of the people there was an LSU booster. The audio was turned in to the administration just recently and they are looking into it.

This incident, along with the one video at UCLA this weekend, along with the sexual harassment stuff, with the losing season last year, and his character, etc.... this is probably it for Coach O (especially if LSU loses more games this year). Even some fans on the LSU site are tired of his antics. I think if Lane Kiffin or Hugh Freeze take his place next year, LSU will become a real threat again quickly.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I think you guys are not giving Jimbo enough consideration at LSU. He doesn’t have to be second fiddle. He runs the state. Tons of talent.

And they will match money that A&M throws. I think he would take it. We shall see
So if Jimbo signs the extension about to be offered (he may have already signed it) what would his buyout look like, if he has one?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

IDK it would depend on if LSU or Tulane have the specialty care that his son needs.

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
I don't know how to link it, but I just watched a video of 2 sports guys talking on another site. Apparently this summer at a camp, Coach O was fishing with his sons. An LSU fan yelled at him that he better win all the games this year... about 10 minutes later, Coach O comes back to this camp site area and verbally says stuff to this guy, trying to get a confrontation started. Someone recorded the audio and a quick video on their phone. Turns out, one of the people there was an LSU booster. The audio was turned in to the administration just recently and they are looking into it.

This incident, along with the one video at UCLA this weekend, along with the sexual harassment stuff, with the losing season last year, and his character, etc.... this is probably it for Coach O (especially if LSU loses more games this year). Even some fans on the LSU site are tired of his antics. I think if Lane Kiffin or Hugh Freeze take his place next year, LSU will become a real threat again quickly.
Well, the LSU fan should have not bothered Coach O during private time with his sons.

Reactions: FaninLA

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.