Coaching Carousel 2021

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
If what I read is correct, he took a job that wasn't open. UM didn't have the guts to fire their coach, so Mario effectively did it for them.
I mean, that has nothing to do with Mario and everything to do with the clown show U Miami board of directors. This is what happens when you don't have an AD. Everything leaks.

They had commitments from major donors for massive donations -- if the coach was Mario.

So they kept Diaz around until they had landed their whale. It sucks for Diaz but I'm sure the $8mm buyout will assuage his hurt feelings.

Frankly if you can execute it privately I think this is a good approach. Too many programs fire their coach just because and don't necessarily end up doing better. I'm sure Auburn felt they had to fire Gus, for instance, but how are they feeling about Bryan Harsin right now? I'm guessing they'd be thrilled if he got hired away to Oregon.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I mean, that has nothing to do with Mario and everything to do with the clown show U Miami board of directors. This is what happens when you don't have an AD. Everything leaks.

They had commitments from major donors for massive donations -- if the coach was Mario.

So they kept Diaz around until they had landed their whale. It sucks for Diaz but I'm sure the $8mm buyout will assuage his hurt feelings.

Frankly if you can execute it privately I think this is a good approach. Too many programs fire their coach just because and don't necessarily end up doing better. I'm sure Auburn felt they had to fire Gus, for instance, but how are they feeling about Bryan Harsin right now? I'm guessing they'd be thrilled if he got hired away to Oregon.
I had not thought about that possibility...he would be a much better cultural fit there. And he does seem to be an excellent football coach...

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I had not thought about that possibility...he would be a much better cultural fit there. And he does seem to be an excellent football coach...
Yep, he's a northwest guy and there are rumors. Washington, too.

I think Harsin would welcome that and so would AU.

Reactions: Toddrn

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yep, he's a northwest guy and there are rumors. Washington, too.

I think Harsin would welcome that and so would AU.
I mean, I don't fear Harsin, so I'm not exactly wanting him to go.

But if it means Abruun is late to the table in finding a replacement HC, causing wailing and gnashing of teeth, I'm 100% for him heading to the PNW...

:)

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Mario Cristobal being hired at Miami might be the domino that fells Clemson (and Dabo) off its recent, lofty perch.

Hear me out.

FSU seems to be rising, perhaps not a meteoric rise but rising nonetheless. Napier will be as good or better on the recruiting trail than was Mullen. Cristobal could very well put Miami back on top of its conference within three years.

Clemson has made its run on the backs of recruits from the State of Florida. Nearly a fourth of their roster at any given point under Dabo has been Florida players.

I'd be willing to bet that's a significant increase over the percentage under Tuberville.

I'd also be willing to bet that increase was largely due to the decline of at least two, arguably all three, of the three major programs in the State of Florida.

If recruiting in Florida becomes more difficult for out-of-State schools like Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson - I'm putting my money on Clemson getting the short end of that stick...

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Mario Cristobal being hired at Miami might be the domino that fells Clemson (and Dabo) off its recent, lofty perch.

Hear me out.

FSU seems to be rising, perhaps not a meteoric rise but rising nonetheless. Napier will be as good or better on the recruiting trail than was Mullen. Cristobal could very well put Miami back on top of its conference within three years.

Clemson has made its run on the backs of recruits from the State of Florida. Nearly a fourth of their roster at any given point under Dabo has been Florida players.

I'd be willing to bet that's a significant increase over the percentage under Tuberville.

I'd also be willing to bet that increase was largely due to the decline of at least two, arguably all three, of the three major programs in the State of Florida.

If recruiting in Florida becomes more difficult for out-of-State schools like Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson - I'm putting my money on Clemson getting the short end of that stick...
Agree... It's a very interesting time for Clemson. Coming off their worst season since 2014, Venables is gone, Miami and Florida State figure to be on the upswing. It'll be very curious what they do.

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC

I agree most of this is on Miami, but Mario comes off looking bad in this to me also. From what I understand, Miami approached Mario and told him the job is yours if you want it, otherwise we stick with Diaz. If Mario turns them down, Diaz is still there. The way I see it, Maimi gave Mario the knife he used to stab Diaz with. I understand Mario really wanted the job, but there's a right way to do it.

• Facepalm
Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I agree most of this is on Miami, but Mario comes off looking bad in this to me also. From what I understand, Miami approached Mario and told him the job is yours if you want it, otherwise we stick with Diaz. If Mario turns them down, Diaz is still there. The way I see it, Maimi gave Mario the knife he used to stab Diaz with. I understand Mario really wanted the job, but there's a right way to do it.
In Mario's defense he's going back home to blood family, his alma mater and a ton of money. You can't blame him for Manny's poor performance and demise when not many thought he would turn the U around to it's hey day anyway. In these days of the fast spinning coaching carousel one has to jump on whenever and wherever they can and hope they don't get slung off when it gets off balance during the silly season. The early signing period and transfer portal has increased the carousel RPM and the braking system won't be repaired until it somehow slows.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

Hear me out.

Clemson has made a living off recruits from Florida and north Ga, particularly Atlanta. If FSU, UF and UM increase their ability to attract quality recruits there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth in Clemson. I believe Bama will be able to pull the 3-4 that we sign every year.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Hear me out.

It's a decent enough theory. One could even throw in "but UCF" to further support the point.

On the other hand, we've been hearing about this inevitable rise of both teams for damn near two decades now, too. FSU had a bump in 13-14 but was otherwise, well, less than their 90s run. And besides, wasn't Florida down at the end of the Zook era? Shouldn't - in theory - this have prevented the free fall of Miami and slower descent of FSU? All it took was Meyer to turn it all around for the future handbags.

In other words, I'm not saying you're wrong (and you may be proven right), but we've all been hearing this stuff ad nauseum for years. Hell, Texas has been gonna dominate the sport every year since Moses parted the Crimson Tide and Colt McCoy was born in a manger on Christmas Day. They've hired phenom after phenom and crickets.

Let's be honest: while we all know that every school cheats up to a point, Miami's rise coincided with teams being willing to steal a few bucks out of the offering plate while Miami was willing to send a mobster in after the collection to spray the room with bullets and walk out with the money. The very thing that gave them that advantage is gone forever with NIL - and at a time they're not doing so hot.

However, your point was about Clemson. And what I think will be interesting here is this: is Dabo a one-trick pony whose rise benefited from:
a) the implosion of FSU
b) the mediocrity of the ACC
c) over credit for a close game against Alabama in 2015
d) gaining the edge on recruiting with the close call

Many a coach has looked like a genius for a short period of time. Vince Dooley was the next Coach Bryant in 1982; go look at his post-1983 record, and it looks more like the pre-Herschel years.

Dabo may be more Dooley 1980-83 and Osborne 1993-97 than like Saban.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Let's be honest: while we all know that every school cheats up to a point, Miami's rise coincided with teams being willing to steal a few bucks out of the offering plate while Miami was willing to send a mobster in after the collection to spray the room with bullets and walk out with the money. The very thing that gave them that advantage is gone forever with NIL - and at a time they're not doing so hot.
I would argue that NIL actually greatly favors programs like Miami and USC that can sell glitz and glamor.

From what I've heard Miami has actually been ahead of the curve with NIL relative to Florida and FSU based on their interpretation of Florida law... I think it has a chance to be a recruiting boon for them.

Reactions: tideindc

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
It's a decent enough theory. One could even throw in "but UCF" to further support the point.

On the other hand, we've been hearing about this inevitable rise of both teams for damn near two decades now, too. FSU had a bump in 13-14 but was otherwise, well, less than their 90s run. And besides, wasn't Florida down at the end of the Zook era? Shouldn't - in theory - this have prevented the free fall of Miami and slower descent of FSU? All it took was Meyer to turn it all around for the future handbags.

In other words, I'm not saying you're wrong (and you may be proven right), but we've all been hearing this stuff ad nauseum for years. Hell, Texas has been gonna dominate the sport every year since Moses parted the Crimson Tide and Colt McCoy was born in a manger on Christmas Day. They've hired phenom after phenom and crickets.

However, your point was about Clemson. And what I think will be interesting here is this: is Dabo a one-trick pony whose rise benefited from:
a) the implosion of FSU
b) the mediocrity of the ACC
c) over credit for a close game against Alabama in 2015
d) gaining the edge on recruiting with the close call

Many a coach has looked like a genius for a short period of time. Vince Dooley was the next Coach Bryant in 1982; go look at his post-1983 record, and it looks more like the pre-Herschel years.

Dabo may be more Dooley 1980-83 and Osborne 1993-97 than like Saban.
The hate for Dabo on this board is ridiculous - you may not like him as a person but he knows how to run a highly successful college football program. He has won 2 National Championships - played for 2 more - and been in playoffs 6 times. Only Saban has done better in the past 8 years.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The hate for Dabo on this board is ridiculous - you may not like him as a person but he knows how to run a highly successful college football program. He has won 2 National Championships - played for 2 more - and been in playoffs 6 times. Only Saban has done better in the past 8 years.
Setting aside my feelings about him personally, I'm not sure he does. Let us see how he manages losing his assistants now that that has become a problem for him.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I would argue that NIL actually greatly favors programs like Miami and USC that can sell glitz and glamor.

From what I've heard Miami has actually been ahead of the curve with NIL relative to Florida and FSU based on their interpretation of Florida law... I think it has a chance to be a recruiting boon for them.
Except the reality is that they're not fighting an Alabama or Oklahoma or Notre Dame or several other programs with one weapon that that school is afraid to go that far - now.

I don't dispute what you're saying, I dispute it's uniqueness.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Setting aside my feelings about him personally, I'm not sure he does. Let us see how he manages losing his assistants now that that has become a problem for him.
I understand the board's overall pulse on Dabo, but it will be interesting to see what happens in the wake of Venerables leaving.

It will be real interesting if Dabo hits a home run with a new hire and they bounce back after one down year. It'll certainly take away the "argument" he can't rebuild a staff.

Reactions: UntouchableCrew

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Maybe, but they are in the same position as then. Are they certain they can get a replacement that is assuredly better than what they have?
Certainly a good point and I'd argue their job being less appealing right now than they realized is part of why they ended up with Harsin in the first place.

Reactions: UAH

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.