College Football Coaching Carousel - 2022 edition

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Shocked he lasted that long. He was awful there.
I remember hearing so many people thinking that he would do well at Georgia Tech. I didn't know anything about him, but it actually seemed strange that I heard so many "experts" say that he would have success there. He may be one of those guys who just does better as a coordinator.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I remember hearing so many people thinking that he would do well at Georgia Tech. I didn't know anything about him, but it actually seemed strange that I heard so many "experts" say that he would have success there. He may be one of those guys who just does better as a coordinator.
He had some middling success at Temple. 15-10 which isn't bad for Temple.

• Thank You
Reactions: teamplayer

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I wonder if GT will freak out and try to find another option coach to revert to?
I think that's part of their problem. Nothing says they have to be an option team. They don't have nearly the restrictions that the service academies do. Seeing Stanford, Northwestern, and even Notre Dame have varying levels of success tells me that Georgia Tech should be capable of achieving similar. But they went with Paul Johnson and the triple option. And once you go down that road and for so long as they did, then it becomes very difficult to turn it around and do something different. The recruiting has to be completely overhauled. You're better off going on probation for a couple of years.

Reactions: lowend

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I think that's part of their problem. Nothing says they have to be an option team. They don't have nearly the restrictions that the service academies do. Seeing Stanford, Northwestern, and even Notre Dame have varying levels of success tells me that Georgia Tech should be capable of achieving similar. But they went with Paul Johnson and the triple option. And once you go down that road and for so long as they did, then it becomes very difficult to turn it around and do something different. The recruiting has to be completely overhauled. You're better off going on probation for a couple of years.
Paul dabaxter Johnson was a good coach for them.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
They should look at Wake Forest...they could easily recruit like Wake. Yes, it is a tough academic school, but they have athletes who graduate all the time. No need to settle for mediocrity and a paycheck.

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
With the college football landscape as it currently exists… with regard to the transfer rules…this isn’t nearly the problem that it once was.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Given GT fired their coach AND AD and are now paying ~$12MM buyouts, what are they expecting from their football program? Obviously, Geoff Collins didn't get it done and they should have fired him after last season.

Going back to 2000...

They have had 6 seasons of at least 9 wins since 2020. (5 with 9, 1 with 11)
They only had three losing seasons since 2020 before Collins arrived (2010 @ 6-7; 2015 @ 3-9; 2017 @ 5-6)

They win 7 and lose 6 in a typical season (that's typical, not average). So, a break-even record and going to a low-end bowl game are expected.

Paul Johnson, Part Deux is what they need to be looking for. Run a multiple option high-octane offense with a smart, mobile QB, a bruiser at FB, some good RBs and a couple of talented receivers/TE. Play tough defense and win the games they're supposed to win and a couple of toss-ups. Be "competitive" with UGA; win some ATL metro recruits over UGA and I think the ramblin' wreckers would throw parties all night long. Alternatively, get the best smart players available and go high-octane west coast. Get some of the ATL metro big'ol'boys as lineman and one of the hot-shot QBs that's always available in the metro. Use NIL to get a kid who wants to be an engineer and sign'em up to STEM-oriented deals that are different than the typical marketing - sell a pizza or a truck - done at other schools.

I really don't know what more they could want?

Reactions: CB4

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.