Coaching Staff Changes

buckeyeFB_

Bamanation Citizen
Jun 24, 2019
I tend to exclude Applewhite from the bad hire categories mostly because he was young and he was dealing with Shula players. His other jobs were Texas and Houston. He did okay at Houston until Tillman Ferritta wanted to stick it to Lane Kiffin and hire Applewhite as HC instead. Applewhite has more gotten jobs he really probably wasn’t prepared for, but apparently a lot of people see some promise in him.

As for the worst OC IMO it is Nuss. In 2012 we were lucky not to have 3 losses because of that ding bat. We were far and away the best team in the country but we got in needless dog fights because he couldn’t help himself. LSU everyone remembers AJ to TJ, but no one recalls AJ being totally ineffective while Eddie was totally gashing them. aTm everyone probably remembers Johnny more but Nuss called a horrible game and made a Pete Carroll SB 49 call at the end. Georgia was just as bad as LSU. UGA could not stop the run all day but we spent the entire 1st half passing for some odd reason. Then the 2013 Auburn game is squarely on him. Yes blame Cade Foster all you want but he wasn’t the genius trying to run TJ Yeldon up the middle with a stacked box why AJ and Cooper are having the day of their lives.
Fair point regarding Applewhite. He was also part of Saban's very first staff, which makes it a little different from a situation where Saban was replacing a coach who had departed.

See I obviously don't watch every Alabama game and my most clear memory of Nuss was him calling a great game against ND in the 2012 title game, so it's interesting to hear your recounts of him.

81usaf92

Hall of Fame
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Fair point regarding Applewhite. He was also part of Saban's very first staff, which makes it a little different from a situation where Saban was replacing a coach who had departed.

See I obviously don't watch every Alabama game and my most clear memory of Nuss was him calling a great game against ND in the 2012 title game, so it's interesting to hear your recounts of him.
If you watch the 2012 LSU and 2012 SECCG you could see both teams didn’t belong on the field with us but we had a very odd gameplan in both on offense that prevented us from running away with it. The 2013 Auburn game was his crowning achievement of incompetence. Just one year later Kiffin torched that same defense with Blake Sims and Amari Cooper. AJ and Amari were unstoppable that day in 2013 but we took the ball out of AJ’s hands for dumb runs.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Wait - did dude quit an on-the-field position to come be an analyst for Saban? If so, that's one of the most impressive gets I've seen to date!
It looks like that is exactly what happened.
Gutsy move on his part. Undoubtedly took a pay cut, and is taking the long view on building a career. Kudos to him.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

He also singlehandedly cost us the loss to TAMU that year and a perfect season with his play calling inside the aggie 3 yard line.

Latest threads