Coaching Staff Changes

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
One of those things that make you go "Hmmmmmm", right? Sark decision or others already meddling in the on field decision making process?

Given the history at UTw, I would tend to think the latter.
What I read on this made it sound like Sark was ready to do the hire, but major backlash because Stoops is an "Oklahoma" guy made him retract it. Sounded like they are already trying to control Sark.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
What I read on this made it sound like Sark was ready to do the hire, but major backlash because Stoops is an "Oklahoma" guy made him retract it. Sounded like they are already trying to control Sark.
That’s what it sounds like to me as well......... his time there won’t be fun with them making all his decisions for him

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Don’t know if it has been mention but looks like Mike Stoops will be joining Sark in Texas coaching LB’s. So Strong (Jags), Milwee (Texas) Applewhite (South Alabama) Jones (Arkansas State) and now Stoops are just a few of the analysts/ancillary staff to be replaced, not to mention the on field coaching positions.
Looks like Eddie Gran will fill an offensive position, although it’s not certain what role (per Cole Cubelic). Could be an analyst or RB coach.

Hmmmmmm. What happened here? Did Coach Sark make someone MAD that donates lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to UTw?

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Imagine being a head coach and getting ready to run a program, only to be told you will run it the way the boosters want it...... a recipe for disaster
And that is why many Alabama fans said that Sark may be stepping into a quagmire in Austin and it may not a healthy place to get back into a HC position. Yes, I wanted to keep him but I sincerely like him and wanted him to go somewhere he will succeed outside the SEC.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Imagine being a head coach and getting ready to run a program, only to be told you will run it the way the boosters want it...... a recipe for disaster
The arrogance of some fans and boosters really astounds me.

I mean, I get it... .a little. I was pretty young during Gene Stallings tenure at Alabama. Somehow, despite the success I started taking him for granted. I got it in my head that someone else could do it as good or better and by the time he was gone I was fairly ambivalent.

I then got to see what bad coaching really looks like. This type of arrogant ignorance seems to permeate some of these boosters, and I see it spilling over sometimes to Alabama supporters as well. I've seen people say they are tired of seeing Saban doing this and that, they're fed up with something that was said, what ever and it's like seriously? Best head coach ever and you're still complaining? You can't just go alright, I'm following his lead because he knows more about this than anyone ever, nope, still complain. Don't tell me what to do coach...

I guess it just goes back to college sports making people feel really entitled to how the process should be run. They're used to being treated a certain way, to having certain influence, and if you even scold them a little they act like someone wronged them horrendously. It has to suck terribly to deal with that.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Did Marrone say that or was that simply 4Q's guess? I didn't read the article.
Yeah, me either... :unsure:
The post reads as if it's 4Q's assumption (which I'd agree with). IOW, I'd not worry about it as I highly doubt Marrone said that.
Marrone did NOT say his time was limited. Likewise, the author of the article neither said nor implied it.

It’s still, however, my expectation that he will be the Alabama OL coach for no more than two years..

Reason is, Marrone has been a college head coach. He’s been an NFL OC, and has been an NFL head coach twice. He’s spent decades in the NFL in other capacities.

That’s not the profile of someone who would be content as a long-time college OL coach.

I’m also guessing (hoping) that Saban got a 2-year verbal commitment from him. Not legally enforceable, but reneging on a promise to Saban isn’t exactly the way to resurrect a college or NFL coaching career.

It’s also possible that Marrone has had enough of being The Man, has plenty of money now, and just wants to develop OLs. And he might truly believe that today. But after a coach possessing the competitive spirit needed to build that resume has some time to de-compress from a setback, it’s hard for him not to want back in the big chair.

We’ll see. I think he’s a great hire. Even if he moves on after a few years, it’s not like we’ve had great continuity in that spot since Stoutland left for the Eagles. Hasn’t seemed to hurt recruiting.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
The arrogance of some fans and boosters really astounds me.

I mean, I get it... .a little. I was pretty young during Gene Stallings tenure at Alabama. Somehow, despite the success I started taking him for granted. I got it in my head that someone else could do it as good or better and by the time he was gone I was fairly ambivalent.

I then got to see what bad coaching really looks like. This type of arrogant ignorance seems to permeate some of these boosters, and I see it spilling over sometimes to Alabama supporters as well. I've seen people say they are tired of seeing Saban doing this and that, they're fed up with something that was said, what ever and it's like seriously? Best head coach ever and you're still complaining? You can't just go alright, I'm following his lead because he knows more about this than anyone ever, nope, still complain. Don't tell me what to do coach...

I guess it just goes back to college sports making people feel really entitled to how the process should be run. They're used to being treated a certain way, to having certain influence, and if you even scold them a little they act like someone wronged them horrendously. It has to suck terribly to deal with that.
I don’t care how many championships he wins, he should still let the second string run the offense instead of just handing the ball off 😄

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I`ve always believed that that was one of the very first things with which Mal Moore made certain that CNS would have no need to concern himself.
Well, I’ve always felt that if you have enough faith in someone to do the job you hired them to do, let them do the job without interference until they prove they are no longer capable of getting it done........otherwise, why hire them?

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Well, I’ve always felt that if you have enough faith in someone to do the job you hired them to do, let them do the job without interference until they prove they are no longer capable of getting it done........otherwise, why hire them?
One of the unique aspects of college athletics is that it is so very much about more than a logical path to success. Though pride plays a part in almost all of life, it is an overwhelming feature of college sports. Thus, your "why hire them" question, while completely valid, loses a lot of it effect in college sports because so many boosters are about many things associated with success, rather than just being satisfied with achieving success - IMO, most of those are bad things related to pride. E.g., I want to be visible, I want to know my voice is heard, I have inside access, I, I, I...

One of Saban's wisest and most important achievements is minimizing this effect in his program. It is one of the greatest accomplishments of the Alabama program and especially its boosters - denying themselves to let him alone to focus on the path to success. They have given a lot without many of the typical perks - they should be appreciated and lauded.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.