Coaching update: Saban hopes third time is a charm for Steele

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I wish we'd all move on past this stuff about Sabans 3-4 over/under scheme. We quite literally ran the 1-4-6 and the 2-3-6, each, more than we ran the 3-4 last year. We probably only ran the 3-4 20-25 times the ENTIRE season - it is our LEAST used alignment of any of the alignments we have. The nickel player was tied for second on the team in tackles, and the dime player had more tackles than all but one of our DL.

Our base defense is a 4-2-5, with two primary personnel groupings. One that's 2DL, 2OLB (mostly on LOS) and 2ILB with the 5dbs and the other that's 3DL, 1OLB (still typically lined up on the LOS) and 2ILBs with the 5DBs. It's just a myth that Saban's held onto the 3-4 with a death grip all these years.

Now there are philosophical things that might not have changed that maybe could, i.e. are we a two gap hold and react team or are we a one gap attack team. Or do we hold onto the complex pattern matching back end, or do we simplify this into more man and zone concepts. Even on these points though, we did appear to be doing more one gap fits the last couple of years than we had in the past, so Saban is a lot more flexible and adaptable to coordinator tweaks and changes than folks give him credit for.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I hope he does a great job for us and stays onboard for a few years.
If - IF - the defense improves from last year (pretty much at all, I think), KS will stick around as long as it doesn’t regress, until his replacement is ready.
He only has one or two years to lock in his state retirement (early) - can’t even believe as much as these guys make that’s even an issue, but it was reported.

Reactions: alabama mike1

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
If - IF - the defense improves from last year (pretty much at all, I think), KS will stick around as long as it doesn’t regress, until his replacement is ready.
He only has one or two years to lock in his state retirement (early) - can’t even believe as much as these guys make that’s even an issue, but it was reported.
If there's a replacement. It's all conjecture at this point.

• Thank You
Reactions: oskie

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Question concerning staff on defensive side of ball: Steele is listed a DC with no position assignment. Usually the DC has LB assignment as well. Austin Armstrong is listed as ILB coach. There is no specific coach assigned to safeties. Will T-Rob handle safeties in addition to CB’s or will CNS handle the responsibilities? Or are there still other moves yet to be made?

Last edited:

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
I heard today that Armstrong’s father-in-law is Andalusia’s head coach Trent Taylor. They have one of the top RBs in the state for next year.

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: Con

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.