Coleman Coliseum renovation talks underway as Alabama construction moves forward

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
That is a lot but they are talking about totally gutting it and basically starting over.
I haven't read the article yet, but for that kind of money, it would seem that you could tear down Colemen and build a new one... :cool:

(There must be more to it than just a renovation of Coleman.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tide Rev

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I haven't read the article yet, but for that kind of money, you can tear down Colemen and build a new one... :cool:

(There must be more to it than just a renovation of Coleman.)
I doubt it. Auburn's was built in 2010 for $86M. Construction prices are dramatically different than 10 years ago.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Well, something has to be done and just hope they hop to it. Ask Nick how important facilities are to a program.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
The problem with this plan is the word "renovation". The team deserves a brand new modern facility on a new piece of land, not this continuing to put lipstick on a pig mentality. Coleman is a dump IMO and needs to be dumped. If they were to build a completely new arena, they wouldn't have to play an entire season on the road.

I will never understand the attachment to Coleman. I get it with BDS but, not Coleman. Build a new arena and move on!

Reactions: imauafan

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
The problem with this plan is the word "renovation". The team deserves a brand new modern facility on a new piece of land, not this continuing to put lipstick on a pig mentality. Coleman is a dump IMO and needs to be dumped. If they were to build a completely new arena, they wouldn't have to play an entire season on the road.

I will never understand the attachment to Coleman. I get it with BDS but, not Coleman. Build a new arena and move on!
Coleman is so structurally sound that they don't see the need in knocking it down. Also, athletics loves the location.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
This is long overdue and I hope they are making the right decision with the renovation instead of building a new basketball arena. It irks me that we are wasting so much time and money on the BDS "upgrades" that could have been used on other facilities instead.
It is not wasting time or money with BDS. The football program makes all the money that finances every single one of our other men and women's sports. All of our other competitors are sinking millions into their football programs and we have to stay ahead of them (Saban's thoughts). I am ready for the Coleman renovations also but we are certainly not wasting money or time with BDS upgrades.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I doubt it. Auburn's was built in 2010 for $86M. Construction prices are dramatically different than 10 years ago.
Yeah, plus we have indoor plumbing to maintain, so that to adds to our renovation expenses... :ROFLMAO:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Considering this option they obviously dont want to share a venue off campus with the city. That option would lower the cost considerably in building a new arena.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
It is not wasting time or money with BDS. The football program makes all the money that finances every single one of our other men and women's sports. All of our other competitors are sinking millions into their football programs and we have to stay ahead of them (Saban's thoughts). I am ready for the Coleman renovations also but we are certainly not wasting money or time with BDS upgrades.
They are redoing a football weight room that was built 4 years ago for football. Football does not carry the load for Basketball. it makes money albeit not nearly as much as football. Yes our competitors are putting money into their football programs, but they are also investing in basketball. Florida is has just redone their arena. Ole miss, and Auburn have nearly new arenas'. We have a 50 year old dinosaur who just won't die which is at best the 5th beast arena in the state. We are spending crazy money on a stadium that in reality is too big for today's fans. Byrne is looking to the future with social media areas and better food, but at some point someone with common sense has to say enough is enough. I just don't see how we can continue to spend literally hundreds of millions on football to the detriment of other sports. Don't get me wrong, it is not just Alabama, it is almost every SEC school.

As far as cost, anyone who has ever dealt with UA Construction and Administration understands that it is going to be double what it is anywhere else or in the private market. The system is ridiculously rigged. UA's administration lives in their own little bubble and has no concept of real costs on a private business level.

I heard state the "pro forma" didn't work for basketball and a new building. I disagree. It will work if you use it for gymnastics. concerts, conferences, and basketball. We need to let Athletics know how we feel and maybe they will finally get something actually done, instead of building another spa for football.

Reactions: Trey1121

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.