College Softball World Series

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
Just watched Oklahoma beat Northwestern, what a dominating performance. They remind me of the dominant teams Bama has had in football recently. Just make their opponents look horrible. One girl in their lineup had a batting average under 300 and she came in at 293. They had four hitters over 400 and one more close to it. Get your act together Bama or you will be left behind.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
If Florida is in the world series, there is no way in the world BAMA shouldn't be there. With the current mutiny going on in Tuscaloosa though, it doesn't surprise me that we're not there.

Reactions: Blindside17

HSV_1969

Scout Team
Feb 28, 2011
Color me out of touch, but " current mutiny "......?
Referring to the fact that 6 players jumped in the transfer portal within two days of the last game. Some posters have also alluded to there being some behind the scenes issues that are not public knowledge.

BamaHoops

3rd Team
Jan 13, 2019
Will be interesting to see what happens next year. By any standard our team underperformed this year. Too much time preaching "mudita" and not enough time (or expertise) coaching hitting. Based on our talent level and early season performance there were obviously locker room issues once SEC play started. Murphy must adapt. For those who have only recently followed Bama softball - Murphy walked out on Bama about 10 years ago. Of course Habetz went with him for a day or so - they are joined at the hip. But after a few days they said they were staying at Bama.

Everyone - including some close to the program - wonders what Habetz' expertise is. Certainly not hitting. She's kind of a "rah-rah" clapper. Reality is unless Murphy commits some sort of heinous crime he's at Bama until he retires. You can't fire a coach with as much success as he's had. But the future will be much less successful unless he adapts to the changes in the game. Power is the name of the game these days.

Last edited:

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Texas won the right to be the team demolished by Oklahoma in the WCWS. Game 1 score: 16-1, OU wins. They also hit multiple home runs. Gorilla ball is now the way in softball.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Texas won the right to be the team demolished by Oklahoma in the WCWS. Game 1 score: 16-1, OU wins. They also hit multiple home runs. Gorilla ball is now the way in softball.
The only way to beat Oklahoma is to have two arms they haven’t seen and a competent offense.

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
Yelp that was over before it got started good. I agree Gorilla ball is in and unfortunately Bama is way behind in that category.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yelp that was over before it got started good. I agree Gorilla ball is in and unfortunately Bama is way behind in that category.
Well we best just get used to it. Alabama is about to be on a steep decline barring a crazy transfer portal class. Arkansas, Auburn, and LSU WILL be ahead of Alabama as programs if the current trajectory continues as is.

Sensation77

Scout Team
Sep 18, 2006
Gallatin, Tennessee, United States
I know exactly the reason
I get it, but how is he causing power hitters to not hit for power? Is he changing their swing? Their approach at the plate? I know he's a small ball guy, but what is he doing to cause girls to not hit HR's? He's the "hitting coach", but I guarantee these girls are seeing their private hitting instructors this Summer. What is the change when they get back on campus?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I get it, but how is he causing power hitters to not hit for power? Is he changing their swing? Their approach at the plate? I know he's a small ball guy, but what is he doing to cause girls to not hit HR's? He's the "hitting coach", but I guarantee these girls are seeing their private hitting instructors this Summer. What is the change when they get back on campus?
For 5-6 years now we have been in an obvious decline in hitting. I don’t know how much obvious it can be, but Murphy has been so damn hard headed in replicating the Arizona style of hitting while everyone else has gone more to what Oklahoma and UCLA does. What has kept us up is pitching and one or two hitters. Had Auburn not got caught with a scandal with their assistant coach then Auburn probably never gives back the state to us. This is 100% an Alabama coaching issue, and one that must be fixed.

As for private hitting coaches… Well let’s just say one our best hitters of all time would get on a plane after a weekend series and would skip hitting at Alabama when she got back just where Murphy couldn’t get in her head.

This is no longer a debate… he either changes or we continue to slip further and further into the SEC. Personally I believe he needs to go for other reasons, but he is never going to change. We are going to have 3 slappers next year and our season will be based around Montana throwing and how good Shipman and Prange can hit in clutch situations. Buckle up because it’s probably going to be a bumpy ride next year as well.

Sensation77

Scout Team
Sep 18, 2006
Gallatin, Tennessee, United States
For 5-6 years now we have been in an obvious decline in hitting. I don’t know how much obvious it can be, but Murphy has been so damn hard headed in replicating the Arizona style of hitting while everyone else has gone more to what Oklahoma and UCLA does. What has kept us up is pitching and one or two hitters. Had Auburn not got caught with a scandal with their assistant coach then Auburn probably never gives back the state to us. This is 100% an Alabama coaching issue, and one that must be fixed.

As for private hitting coaches… Well let’s just say one our best hitters of all time would get on a plane after a weekend series and would skip hitting at Alabama when she got back just where Murphy couldn’t get in her head.

This is no longer a debate… he either changes or we continue to slip further and further into the SEC. Personally I believe he needs to go for other reasons, but he is never going to change. We are going to have 3 slappers next year and our season will be based around Montana throwing and how good Shipman and Prange can hit in clutch situations. Buckle up because it’s probably going to be a bumpy ride next year as well.
I'm definitely not trying to debate. I was genuinely asking for my own curiosity. You are spot on that hitting has declined, while other programs have excelled. It's crazy that a player would fly back like that to see their own instructor, but that tells me all I need to know about what is going on. Something absolutely has to change, or the regression to the mean will be dramatic.

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States
Overall he isn't a small ball guy. He sees an 8th grader hit a HR and offers her. That player tops out and we have her for 4 years. You don't have to be a big girl to hit HRs. Take KB Sides for example. In 4 years at Bama (442 ABs she hits 3 HRs). In 1 year at Arkansas (189 ABs) she hits 13 Hrs. There isn't anything wrong with small ball. You have to have players that can bunt. With the new rule on slapping. You shouldn't have a batter go up just about every time and slap. We had a lot of potential last year, they were just young. We didn't develop as hitters and that's on Murphy. Now take Hemphill. She was lazy everywhere except at the plate. (I also realize that if she hadn't caught last year, we wouldn't have gone to the WCWS, but that's also on Murphy for mis recruiting catchers) If I was coaching against her. I would pitch her inside, let her jerk 2 foul. Then I would pitch her outside. Try to strike her out or walk her. He can only pinch run for her once unless you take her out of the game. My point is who would you rather have at bat for their Sr year. KB with 13 HRs or Hemphill with 14 HRs. KB could slap, bunt, hit for power, steal bases and wasn't a weak spot on defense. Hemphill was a one tool player.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Overall he isn't a small ball guy. He sees an 8th grader hit a HR and offers her. That player tops out and we have her for 4 years. You don't have to be a big girl to hit HRs. Take KB Sides for example. In 4 years at Bama (442 ABs she hits 3 HRs). In 1 year at Arkansas (189 ABs) she hits 13 Hrs. There isn't anything wrong with small ball. You have to have players that can bunt. With the new rule on slapping. You shouldn't have a batter go up just about every time and slap. We had a lot of potential last year, they were just young. We didn't develop as hitters and that's on Murphy. Now take Hemphill. She was lazy everywhere except at the plate. (I also realize that if she hadn't caught last year, we wouldn't have gone to the WCWS, but that's also on Murphy for mis recruiting catchers) If I was coaching against her. I would pitch her inside, let her jerk 2 foul. Then I would pitch her outside. Try to strike her out or walk her. He can only pinch run for her once unless you take her out of the game. My point is who would you rather have at bat for their Sr year. KB with 13 HRs or Hemphill with 14 HRs. KB could slap, bunt, hit for power, steal bases and wasn't a weak spot on defense. Hemphill was a one tool player.
Well here is the thing. I think there would be far less Murph defenders and optimists had Corey Myers not be revealed to having inappropriate relationships with the players. Because Clint myers made Murph and Tim Walton look like dinosaurs in that 4 years and Mickey is about to do it again.

I don’t know why Murphy never adjusted to Auburn exposing him, and I don’t know why we have so many that believe he is going to change.

HSV_1969

Scout Team
Feb 28, 2011
Personally I believe he needs to go for other reasons
You have alluded to Murphy having committed inappropriate things that have not been made public in this and other posts. If this is a valid concern, it should be made public. So, why not bring forward the information?

Reactions: Tide Rev

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.