Conference Realignment Talk

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
To now, Notre Dame has made a conscious decision not to compromise its academic standards (at least, not a whole lot) in the name of winning football.

They have a moneyed alumni base, so how long they choose to stick to this model is anybody’s guess. FWIW, their former football coach sought other fields just a few months ago.

Given the self-imposed academic limitations, the Irish may or may not be relevant in the longer-term context of an NCAA playoff.

Regardless, that’s an entirely different question from being irrelevant to to the generation of revenue. Any conference, SEC included, would take Notre Dame in a nanosecond.
Oh, I agree. But if they miss this boat and try to keep going it alone, they could really be in trouble in as little as 5-10 years. This is the point I'm trying to make.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Well, I've actually gotten in the most trouble here when I was really concise and didn't fully explain myself.

If for instance I just go "you're wrong, Notre Dame is one of the best possible additions", it's probably even more irritating than having to read one of my books.:)

That and I can read fast and don't care enough if others do not, heh. Nevertheless I was trying to be somewhat merciful. I could write a volume of books about why Notre Dame is more valuable than Clemson and give 100 more data points.
Concision is definitely a skill that requires effort.

Johnny took a meandering path to his local grocer. One that is constantly criticized for its destruction of the American entrepreneurial dream and is one of the largest employers in the world.

Johnny went to Walmart

They both communicate the exact same action.
;)

Reactions: Padreruf

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Oh, I agree. But if they miss this boat and try to keep going it alone, they could really be in trouble in as little as 5-10 years. This is the point I'm trying to make.
Depends what you mean by relevant.

Regarding the NC, they struggle for a foothold now. The last several times in the playoff or the BCS, the Domers got destroyed — they weren’t truly competitive at that level.

But given their history, television base, and non-alumni rooting base, their ability to generate revenue lays waste to their recent W-L record.

Which brings us back around to our point of major agreement….Notre Dame’s athletic programs will never be more valuable than they are now.

How they play the next card will be most interesting indeed.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I'm not sure how legit this guy is, but he seems plugged in. Who knows. But...

He has plenty more. But essentially, the bullet points are as follows.

- The Big 12 has formally voted to pursue expansion and form a committee.
- Arizona, Arizona State, and Colorado are their Pac 12 targets who have also expressed interest and seem to be in lock step with their futures. Utah was a 4th target, but they seem to be much more "on the fence" regarding the Big 12. That may because:
- The ACC does not seem to be on board with this "loose alliance" with the Pac 12. In fact, they seem to be trying to find out if they can add Washington, Oregon, Stanford, and Utah without voiding their current Grant of Rights agreement, which would allow current ACC members to freely pursue other options.
- Notre Dame will not decide anything this year. Which means neither will the Big Ten.
- Washington State, Oregon State, and Cal?! seem to be trying to find out if the Mountain West Conference would provide them a landing spot in case the Pac 12 blows up completely. I guess Cal wouldn't give up football after all.
- Finally, there is little out there from the SEC. IMO, this is because there is nothing for the SEC to do unless the ACC is in danger of breaking up (can't allow their valuable properties to slip away to the Big Ten).
Sometimes it's not who you get, but who you block from getting them.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
So if you assume that Notre Dame is not an expansion candidate for the SEC and accept they ultimately in end up in the Big Ten, then the SEC essentially has more freedom to act, right? As long as Notre Dame is available the Big 10 will hold out. Something tells me Notre Dame will slow play the Big Ten like they have done for the 50 years.

The Big 10 maybe accumulating more viewers but they aren't doing anything imo to alter the competitive advantage the SEC has in outdoor sports.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
So if you assume that Notre Dame is not an expansion candidate for the SEC and accept they ultimately in end up in the Big Ten, then the SEC essentially has more freedom to act, right? As long as Notre Dame is available the Big 10 will hold out. Something tells me Notre Dame will slow play the Big Ten like they have done for the 50 years.

The Big 10 maybe accumulating more viewers but they aren't doing anything imo to alter the competitive advantage the SEC has in outdoor sports.
To get a gauge of what may happen, we really need to know what the end game is, and while there is a ton of speculation, no one really knows. Is it just continued economic domination? Or are the SEC and Big Ten really after a full withdrawal from the ncaa and the creation of a standalone playoff that only they are a part of?

If it is the former, then I think Notre Dame can and will continue to slow play the proceedings as you have stated. They have zero economic interest in changing their current stature, because they never have before. They are perfectly content with whatever money they are making and do not seem to be dissuaded by whatever the Big Ten and SEC are pulling down. The only thing that may trigger their move in this scenario would be if the SEC decides North Carolina, Virginia, and whatever other ACC schools can grow their own economic pie. If the ACC crumbles, then Notre Dame will have to move.

However, if the end game is the second scenario, and the Big Ten/SEC are planning a true breakaway, then Notre Dame cannot afford to get left off of the boat. But I would say that they still have some leverage in that scenario. Neither the Big Ten nor the SEC are likely to be willing to leave them behind.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Notre Dame in a conference may not be as valuable as an independent. In a conference, Notre is not likely to make it into a CFP. I can see Notre Dame suffering a fate similar to Nebraska in joining the Big 10 or SEC.

It also appears that Notre Dame is beholden to a unilateral decision-making perspective. Consensus and compromise in a conference, if history is an indicator, is not something they value, ala Texas. My perception is the Notre Dame leadership perceives themselves as even more elite than their Big 10 counterparts.

Reactions: dtgreg

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yeah, they did it every sport but football. No idea why football gets a pass.
That's not necessarily true.

The problem with all the other sports and the reason Notre Dame sought a conference home for them is scheduling. It become more and more difficult to fill out a schedule in those sports as an Independent. There were never any rules passed about restricting their access to the postseasons in those sports. At least, not in basketball for sure. Conference tournament winners got auto-bids yes, but there were at-large bids that they could get.

And the scheduling problem bled over into football as well and that's why they made deals with the Big East (3 games each year against Big East teams) and now the ACC with 5 yearly games with that conference. So they have long since been Independent in name only.

So back to the point... the real way to force Notre Dame into a conference is to limit their ability to schedule. That may well happen too, if the Big Ten continues to decimate the Pac 12, and then they and the SEC expand their conference schedules to 9 or even 10 games. Then it becomes more and more difficult for Notre Dame to fill out a respectable schedule, not only from an SOS standpoint, but an interest standpoint as well. Imagine Notre Dame only being able to find games against the likes of the service academies and Akron.

Reactions: dtgreg

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
That's not necessarily true.

The problem with all the other sports and the reason Notre Dame sought a conference home for them is scheduling. It become more and more difficult to fill out a schedule in those sports as an Independent. There were never any rules passed about restricting their access to the postseasons in those sports. At least, not in basketball for sure. Conference tournament winners got auto-bids yes, but there were at-large bids that they could get.

And the scheduling problem bled over into football as well and that's why they made deals with the Big East (3 games each year against Big East teams) and now the ACC with 5 yearly games with that conference. So they have long since been Independent in name only.

So back to the point... the real way to force Notre Dame into a conference is to limit their ability to schedule. That may well happen too, if the Big Ten continues to decimate the Pac 12, and then they and the SEC expand their conference schedules to 9 or even 10 games. Then it becomes more and more difficult for Notre Dame to fill out a respectable schedule, not only from an SOS standpoint, but an interest standpoint as well. Imagine Notre Dame only being able to find games against the likes of the service academies and Akron.
Actually basketball does have a rule that you have to be in a conference. No exceptions. I believe it was started to keep division 2 teams from just moving up and being independent, but written in a way that forced notre dame to join the big east for basketball only.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Notre Dame in a conference may not be as valuable as an independent. In a conference, Notre is not likely to make it into a CFP.
I think it's the opposite. Notre Dame is going to be forced to join a conference because the future look of a playoff won't include them if they don't. With these super leagues forming it's clear there won't be special privileges for ND. The teams that don't sign up are going to get left behind.

Reactions: bamamoss2

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I could write a volume of books about why Notre Dame is more valuable than Clemson and give 100 more data points.
I've no doubt you could. However, what would be the point of all that writing if no one is going to read them. ;)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I could write a volume of books about why Notre Dame is more valuable than Clemson and give 100 more data points.
1) there were no Four Horsemen of Clemson
2) nobody will ever make a movie called "Dabo Swinney: All-American" that has a future President in a supporting role
3) the manufactured "win one for the Gipper" myth is original and anything now would be a cheap copy
4) teams can no longer play for ties to win national titles
5) NBC became the Notre Dame Broadcasting Company, but CBS isn't doing that for Clemson
6) Notre Dame has cathedrals that burn in France named after their school while..
7) Clemson is Auburn with a lake
8) Clemson is nothing but Alabama Jr, four of their best coaches UA products
9) Notre Dame has Touchdown Jesus ("the Rock"); Clemson has a stone
10) Nobody including the players even knows the tune to the Clemson fight song.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.