Link: Conferences can now pick two best teams for Championship game

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Aside from 3-5 games the B1G championship has been pretty boring.

Wisconsin vs MSU 1st year
MSU vs Ohio St
Iowa vs MSU

I think the two best conference championship series by far are the SEC and Big XII
And Iowa vs Sparty was two "very mediocre" teams that wound up winning the division based on a fluke game (Ohio State-Sparty) and a schedule that enabled Iowa to avoid the three best teams in the B1G. Oh and the win over Harbaugh on the botched last play, too.

Remember, they lost their "bowl games" by a combined total of 67 points.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
And Iowa vs Sparty was two "very mediocre" teams that wound up winning the division based on a fluke game (Ohio State-Sparty) and a schedule that enabled Iowa to avoid the three best teams in the B1G. Oh and the win over Harbaugh on the botched last play, too.

Remember, they lost their "bowl games" by a combined total of 67 points.
The B1G is not looking forward to 2024 when ESPN will undoubtedly air the SECCG in prime time and the B1G will either go against the BIG XII or ACC for a time slot.

Aside from the change in commentating, sizing up the B1G champ, and the colors there really is no reason to watch the B1G championship. It’s one great division and one of the worst other divisions. The Big XII Atleast has entertaining games for the most part.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It doesn't matter too me, Bama has always done it's talking on the football field, when we're at our best no other football team has a chance in college football..

Reactions: mrusso

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I greatly prefer a schedule in which main rivalries are protected and the rest are rotated such that all conference opponents appear on the schedule within a 4 year period. Without divisions, this is possible.

Grant each team 3 protected rivalries, and rotate the rest in whatever fashion.

Our obvious ones would be Tennessee, Auburn, and LSU. For Auburn, imagine Georgia, Alabama, and maybe Florida, reigniting a rivalry that was ended in the mid-90s when the SEC dropped the 5-2-1 format for 5-1-2.

For Georgia, give them Florida, Auburn, and maybe Tennessee.

LSU could get Alabama, Ole Miss, and Texas A&M.

Texas could get OU, A&M, and maybe Arkansas.

Arkansas would get Texas, Mizzou, and maybe A&M.

I guess that gives A&M the trio of Texas, LSU, and Arky. Whatever. I could do this all day long. I'd gladly take a modest 6 figure salary to come up with various scenarios.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I greatly prefer a schedule in which main rivalries are protected and the rest are rotated such that all conference opponents appear on the schedule within a 4 year period. Without divisions, this is possible.

Grant each team 3 protected rivalries, and rotate the rest in whatever fashion.

Our obvious ones would be Tennessee, Auburn, and LSU. For Auburn, imagine Georgia, Alabama, and maybe Florida, reigniting a rivalry that was ended in the mid-90s when the SEC dropped the 5-2-1 format for 5-1-2.

For Georgia, give them Florida, Auburn, and maybe Tennessee.

LSU could get Alabama, Ole Miss, and Texas A&M.

Texas could get OU, A&M, and maybe Arkansas.

Arkansas would get Texas, Mizzou, and maybe A&M.

I guess that gives A&M the trio of Texas, LSU, and Arky. Whatever. I could do this all day long. I'd gladly take a modest 6 figure salary to come up with various scenarios.
Isn’t our longest running opponent MSU?
Also, isn’t there a rivalry between LSU and Arkansas?

Just curious.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.