Politics: Congressional Aprroval Rating Hits 9%

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Averaged with that of GW, it gives the American Government an approval rating of about 17%!

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
So we, as a nation, choose two members from this Congress to be our major nominees for President???!!! :puke:

Brilliant!

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Rich(Bayou) is definitely right--whoever wins the presidential election, America loses....BTW, this will be the first sitting senator to be elected president since JFK....

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
so let me get this straight:
congressional approval is 9%
over 90% of congressmen get re-elected
our 2 main contenders for the presidency are from this congress.

Wahhhhhh hahahahahahahaha we are already a nation of sheeple that are functionally brain damaged.

I think Mencia says it best: Dee de dee!!!!!!!!!!

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
And the leaders are Congress, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reed are from what party? And they think that they can do a better job than someone who has a pitiful approvall rating but that is twice as high as their rating.

I

It's On A Slab

many people would put forth the argument that a congress that does nothing is the best congress of all.
There is some merit to that.

But I would like to see a veto-proof majority so Congress can finally start doing the will of the people....as in extricating us from Iraq.

Bush/McCain seem to want us there for 50-100 years. McCain even is on record, though he didn't really say what he actually said in the well-received video. ;)

derf

Apr 19, 2008
WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get the dogs under the porch and the kids in the house! Congress is in session!!!!

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Historically, the approval ratings for congress are almost always lower that that of the president. There are members of each party that will support a president from their party no matter what, wether they're being impeached for lying about boinking an intern or mismanaging a war and running up huge deficits.

On the other hand, congress as an entity is not identified as strictly Democratic or Republican like a president is. It has no base. Therefore, congress is much more susceptible to fluctuations based on the general national mood. If the mood is bad, somebody is still going to think the president is doing a good job. But, if the mood is bad very few will think the congress is doing a good job. Basically, the people being surveyed do not identify in any way with the congress as a whole.

The ratings are at or near historical lows for congress and the president, but it's not really surprising or unprecendented that the ratings for congress are lower than that of the president.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
But I would like to see a veto-proof majority so Congress can finally start doing the will of the people....
I would contend that congress stopped doing the will of the people when it realized it was smarter to do the will of big business instead. No matter what you do, you have a great chance of being re-elected by an ignorant voter population. However, you only get big corporate money if you do what they want. No wonder congress cares more about big business than caring about their constituents- big businesses are the only ones giving or taking something away based on how a congressman votes.

Crimson Pig

1st Team
Nov 29, 2004
Politics just seems to be one of those too-big-for-the-average-joe endeavors. I, for example, would love to get into politics and change things. But that simple fact would keep me out from the inside. Sabotage is a dirty dirty thing, and we all know politics is no bed of roses.

Not only that, but I can't afford it. I come from a lower-middle class family. Also, I'm not at <insert insanely expensive college that even GW Bush can graduate from> so...that doesn't help me at all either. I would start small, but even then...it's just a game that's not easy enough to get into, so it keeps those that would do well out of it.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
I would contend that congress stopped doing the will of the people when it realized it was smarter to do the will of big business instead. No matter what you do, you have a great chance of being re-elected by an ignorant voter population. However, you only get big corporate money if you do what they want. No wonder congress cares more about big business than caring about their constituents- big businesses are the only ones giving or taking something away based on how a congressman votes.
I hope that you include Big Union and groups like the Sierra Club since they are two of the biggest contributors to politicians.

CrimsonCT

Suspended
Dec 5, 2005
Palo Alto, CA
Politics just seems to be one of those too-big-for-the-average-joe endeavors. I, for example, would love to get into politics and change things. But that simple fact would keep me out from the inside. Sabotage is a dirty dirty thing, and we all know politics is no bed of roses.
Noble gesture, but I would put money that you'd change your tune after a few years, just like every one else who's tried. Not many enter politics with the intention of being a manipulative bastard unworthy of an ounce of trust.

The day politics became a career choice is the day our government stopped working by the people, for the people. It has instead morphed into a self-serving entity impenetrable to public opinion and ignorant of public need. It exists independent of any administration, concerned only with its own perpetuity and power. Democracy seems only to intensify the darker half of human nature and elevate it to an anthropomorphized construction that does not care at all for the people it deigns to serve. It instead interacts only with other governments that have similarly divorced themselves from their citizens in all but word, and operate on a level intentionally incomprehensible to the layman. The entire system of governance, of glorified fiefdom and servitude, has long passed its period of usefulness. Our has abandoned its created purpose, and I cannot think of any return that does not involve violent revolution.

The founding fathers tried to write a modified set of Asimov's Laws into this constitution to protect its citizenry. It didn't work.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.