Could SEC moves delay playoff expansion?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
No worries, I merged the threads.
Well, actually I do worry. This article could only be found under the older thread titled SEC (which I had already read) so before I posted the new thread I looked for PAC 12 in a title (it was not in that thread) and could not find it in any thread title. I suppose by the time I got thru reading EVERY thread to see if it is buried in one of them someone else would already have beat me to it, which happens a lot. Very frustrating.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Since what I think has no impact one way or another, I say, "The greatest happiness is to vanquish your enemies, to chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth, to see those dear to them bathed in tears, to clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters.” (Okay, except for the "clasping their women" part) The Genghis Khan of football conferences has spoken.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The format of the playoffs may depend on the size and number of conferences. So we should probably wait until all the realignment is settled until the playoffs are changed.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don’t get the big deal. Unless the other conferences are going to expand…

Anyway like I said earlier I don’t care one way or another. It seems every format we go to the SEC dominates. So whatever. It seems these people never figure out why that is.

Reactions: B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don’t get the big deal. Unless the other conferences are going to expand…

Anyway like I said earlier I don’t care one way or another. It seems every format we go to the SEC dominates. So whatever. It seems these people never figure out why that is.
I think it is about 2 things - getting a bigger piece of the economic pie, and inclusion in the CFP. Inclusion is important not because it will lead to wins, but because it gives a conference more credibility. The PAC's credibility has slipped more during the CFP era than ever before - not because they didn't win a championship but because they were not even considered a player.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think it is about 2 things - getting a bigger piece of the economic pie, and inclusion in the CFP. Inclusion is important not because it will lead to wins, but because it gives a conference more credibility. The PAC's credibility has slipped more during the CFP era than ever before - not because they didn't win a championship but because they were not even considered a player.
Well the problem is they cannot address the root cause.

The PAC 12 has not had anyone worth considering since 2014.

So I am to take it that keeping the amount of teams at 4 is going to somehow help the pac 12? They need to blow it out to 24 if they want any kind of guarantee and OU/Texas migrating to the SEC isn’t the reason why.

The proposed 12 team playoff with the top 6 conference champs getting auto bids is as close as they will ever get. It was going to make everyone a ton more money. Inclusion all but guaranteed.

No this is the proverbial child yanking up his ball and threatening to go home because he’s not happy that he’s the worst player on the court.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I mean, Washington did the make the playoffs in 2016, but I see your point. They weren’t actually a threat.
See we played them and I had forgotten.

I mean it’s been said a 1000 times but USC has to get good again somehow. And Helton isn’t the answer.

Don James era Washington was something to behold.

Oregon has had its runs. But they need to have USC be good again.

Reactions: LeBron47

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
See we played them and I had forgotten.

I mean it’s been said a 1000 times but USC has to get good again somehow. And Helton isn’t the answer.

Don James era Washington was something to behold.

Oregon has had its runs. But they need to have USC be good again.
USC needs someone that can sell Hollywood. I think despite what many think… firing Kiffin during probation may have been a program altering decision.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
If a team is not in the top 4 I can see no way they could win the Championship barring a miracle game. Just adding more teams will not fix the problem -- but as has been pointed out fixing the problem is not what is driving expanding the playoff. Inclusion and $$$ are the driving force. Whaaaaa. We want to feel good about ourselves so please, Mommy, make them include us.

LeBron47

1st Team
Aug 30, 2007
Just an opinion here but if there is no expansion the CFP will be between SEC, ACC and Big Ten… oh wait that’s what we have now… should rumors prove true with Clemson the it will just be between SEC and Ohio State for the four spots… if they want a chance at all they need to expand or die

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It seems to me that a 12-team playoff would be the height of insanity if you kill off the Big 12, Pac 12, and ACC into two monster conferences. I can see a Northern and Southern Conference (basically) where you have 2-4 teams in each that "playoff" - that's eight.

But TWELVE?

You can get there basically by sending Clemson and FSU to the SEC and USC/UCLA to the Big Ten.

You won't need 12 with that few teams.

A 17-game COLLEGE football season is the height of insanity until someone decides we need 18 games.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.