Could the SEC stage its own college football playoff? It's all on the table at spring meetings.

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
An SEC playoff is the dumbest idea ever. Idiots are ruining college football.
Someone please tell me Sankey is not serious here, we already have a SEC playoff, it's called the regular season. And at the end of it we have a championship game. I can't believe Saban is for this.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
The meetings in Destin this week will be significant. I wish I could be a fly on the wall and listen to everything. I'd also like to know if Jimbo will talk to Coach Saban. :)

Reactions: The Ols

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Someone please tell me Sankey is not serious here, we already have a SEC playoff, it's called the regular season. And at the end of it we have a championship game. I can't believe Saban is for this.
The pro is that greater SOS means potentially better chances a single loss (or even two-loss) team makes the cut in the CPF.

Also means greater revenue for all the schools, and will likely be needed when the SEC has 16 teams.

Sankey's not stupid, but until it's explained otherwise it looks like this is financial decision.

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
Makes me wonder if the SEC might be in talks with a couple of other conferences in regards to breaking away from the NCAA and doing their own thing.
^ this!!! it is about power, which in turn is about money. The SEC does not need a majority of teams to have the majority of power, it needs the teams with money

Last edited:

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
Power 5 -- Top 15 Gross revenue 2018 fiscal year
1. Texas -- $156 million
2. Georgia -- $123 million
3. Michigan -- $122 million
4. Notre Dame -- $116 million
5. Ohio State -- $115 million
6. Penn State -- $100 million
7. Auburn -- $95 million
8. Oklahoma -- $94.8 million
9. Alabama -- $94.6 million
10. Nebraska -- $94.3 million
11. LSU -- $92 million
12. Tennessee -- $91 million
13. Wisconsin -- $90 million
14. Florida -- $85 million
15. Washington -- $84 million

This shows more than anything why Texas and Oklahoma are to be added to the SEC

Reactions: TideEngineer08

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Man, that article just leaves me with way too many questions.

My initial reaction is I'd love to see "more" SEC football, but I don't want that at the expense of us NOT participating in the CFP. Here's why:

While other conferences tend to think they are equal to the SEC, I love how we always prove we are the best most years (12 out of the last 16 NC have been won by the SEC). The CFP allows us to prove the SEC is usually the best conference with the best team in the country. But if we don't play in the CFP, this will leave the debate unanswered (at least in the minds of the general public).

Also, it could lead to a format of some kind of shared NC picture, much like we used to have in the poll era.

I think we need much more info to really know if this is a good thing or not.

Reactions: The Ols

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Sankey is simply throwing his weight around, attempting to get the rest of the conferences in line with the 12 team playoff.

He can go on about how the SEC is just fine with 4, and it is obviously, but this whole deal with Texas/OU and all the other commissioners getting their panties in a wad and putting the 12 team playoff on hold has really ticked him off.

You look at DawgAlum's list above. The SEC now has 8 of the 15 top grossing programs in the country, at least based on 2018 numbers. The only other conference with any clout is the Big Ten with 5. His threat to "take his ball and go home" is a real one that the rest of the country will have to listen to.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Sankey is simply throwing his weight around, attempting to get the rest of the conferences in line with the 12 team playoff.
I wouldn't be shocked if the B10 and SEC did something together to flex - both of them combined pretty much dominate the CFB landscape.

Gotta remember that roughly a year ago we were all blind-sided by Sankey inviting oky and texas to joining the SEC...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I wouldn't be shocked if the B10 and SEC did something together to flex - both of them combined pretty much dominate the CFB landscape.

Gotta remember that roughly a year ago we were all blind-sided by Sankey inviting oky and texas to joining the SEC...
The SEC, B1G, and the remnants of the B12 would be formidable. Clemson, FSU, Miami, USC, UCLA, Utah, and Oregon would follow soon after.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.