Could we be headed to the Cotton Bowl?

BAMA 22 HEISMAN

1st Team
Dec 13, 2009
I know I am probably thinking way to outside the box, but any chance of us making the Cotton bowl? Looking at Jerry Palms predictions, if it is at large choice and at large choice, why wouldn't they choose Bama over Memphis? Maybe it is as simple as the Citrus bowl chooses before the Cotton, but I am not well versed on the ins and outs of how each bowl chooses their teams and in what order. Well in looking at the asterisk, it looks like Memphis has already accepted the bid?

1575784671368.png

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I know I am probably thinking way to outside the box, but any chance of us making the Cotton bowl? Looking at Jerry Palms predictions, if it is at large choice and at large choice, why wouldn't they choose Bama over Memphis? Maybe it is as simple as the Citrus bowl chooses before the Cotton, but I am not well versed on the ins and outs of how each bowl chooses their teams and in what order. Well in looking at the asterisk, it looks like Memphis has already accepted the bid?

View attachment 5077
They are required to take the highest G5 if they break into the Top 25.

How it works:

1) The AQs (Rose and Sugar) have protected matchups. If the Rose and Sugar are Semi finals the the Cotton and Fiesta fill that void

2) The Orange Bowl has a spot if there is either ACC champ/ Notre Dame or a worthy ACC alternate/Notre Dame team to take the spot. My guess is Notre Dame represents the ACC here.

3) the committee fills the remaining NY6 Bowls

4) non NY6 Bowls choose the remaining matchups in order of importance.

My guess

Sugar: UGA vs Baylor
Rose: Oregon vs Penn St
Cotton: Auburn vs Memphis
Orange: Florida vs Notre Dame.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017

View attachment 5077
Where is Notre Dame? How about we play them in the Orange?

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Who does Bama have a better chance of beating in a bowl, Michigan or Minnesota? I have not watched Michigan this year but know they have 3 loses. I watched Minnesota once for about 30 minutes. Hopefully our team will be motivated regardless.

I hope LSU, UGA, and Auburn lose their bowl games. I will pull for the other SEC teams to win their bowl games.

Reactions: Bazza

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Where is Notre Dame? How about we play them in the Orange?
With the committee dropping us behind 4 SEC teams after losing to Auburn, Do you really think they are going to reward us with a NY6 bowl game. The only way we get into a NY6 bowl at this point is if they drop UGA like a sack of potatoes as well. It is very unlikely, and I believe they are outright punishing us for a crappy schedule at this point.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
With the committee dropping us behind 4 SEC teams after losing to Auburn, Do you really think they are going to reward us with a NY6 bowl game. The only way we get into a NY6 bowl at this point is if they drop UGA like a sack of potatoes as well. It is very unlikely, and I believe they are outright punishing us for a crappy schedule at this point.
Maybe the blowout win over GA will have the committee reconsider where it has Alabama ranked. Probably not. If they do not, a NY6 bowl is not possible.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The ESPN experts have us in the Citrus vs Michigan, and Auburn vs Minnesota in the Outback.

Georgia vs Baylor in the Sugar, and Florida vs Virginia in the Orange.

That two East would make it over us, and Virginia as well, is asinine.

Reactions: Bazza

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The ESPN experts have us in the Citrus vs Michigan, and Auburn vs Minnesota in the Outback.

This is exactly why automatic qualifiers for an extended playoffs is the stupidest idea among a bunch of stupid ideas. The bowl tie-ins forces these terrible match-ups.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is exactly why automatic qualifiers for an extended playoffs is the stupidest idea among a bunch of stupid ideas. The bowl tie-ins forces these terrible match-ups.
For Playoffs... Hell no
For NY6.... I think its a good idea as long as its worthy teams. The reason being is that it is beyond stupid to have a G5 team get to go to the Sugar or Rose Bowl and beat a team that has no motivation to be there, and start claiming "We are deserving of a playoff shot next year".

• Thank You
Reactions: ALA2262

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
For Playoffs... Hell no
For NY6.... I think its a good idea as long as its worthy teams. The reason being is that it is beyond stupid to have a G5 team get to go to the Sugar or Rose Bowl and beat a team that has no motivation to be there, and start claiming "We are deserving of a playoff shot next year".
I would rather have a G5 team than a 4 loss Virginia team. There should at least be some kind of clause that prevents a team with 4 losses.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA

Vriginia is now a 4 loss team, and got completely destroyed yesterday. Why are they even considered for the Orange Bowl?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.