COVID-19: Medical and Scientific Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
I'll throw this in - there are only two reliable stats at this point, hospitalizations and deaths. All else, particularly total number of cases and mortality rates are just numbers pulled from the sky. Anyone can make sense of the deaths compared to the flu deaths...
Good point. Total deaths per week have continuously fallen every week since the high in late April. They are now down 75-98% since then depending on using world o meter or CDC numbers. The CDC numbers are delayed a bit due to the way of the reporting, but either way they are down at last 75% since the height of deaths even while total infections have more than tripled.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
I'll throw this in - there are only two reliable stats at this point, hospitalizations and deaths. All else, particularly total number of cases and mortality rates are just numbers pulled from the sky. Anyone can make sense of the deaths compared to the flu deaths...

If you click here and then scroll to the daily deaths, you will see a chart with a steep decline of actual deaths as well as a projected continuation of further deaths.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

If you click here and then scroll to the daily deaths, you will see a chart with a steep decline of actual deaths as well as a projected continuation of further deaths.
This has been beaten to death. The youngsters are now contracting it through reckless behavior. Their survival rate is naturally higher. At the same time, older people are taking even more precautions. The death rate is going to take an unfortunate turn shortly. Now, this thread was started to avoid the political and be confined to scientific matters only. You need to be posting in the other thread. You're resting until we can talk...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
As for point 3, I clearly state the first is a ratio and it is listed without unit because that is how the site has it and the second is shown as a %, because that is how the site listed it. It never even occurred to me that someone would have trouble with different units especially when both I and the sites so clearly list them.

4.Although there are variances year to year, the mortality rate from the Flu is generally around .1%. The figures I quoted from the CDC put it 20 times lower for covid for those under 50. I put deaths at 10-20 because of the uncertainty of the upcoming Flu season, but in retrospect I should have instead worded it as this " If the CDC's %'s hold (they continue to fall every update iow less death), then the Flu will be 20 times deadlier than covid for those under 50".

5. Which calculation would that be? (other than the clarification above)
I am going to address this because I said I would and I do not want people getting wrong information that is not challenged.

3. Self explanatory. 0.004 is 0.4%.

4. These number have no basis in fact. You have to have the number infected and the number that died to calculate and compare. That is simply not possible at this time and your method is severely flawed.

5. Generally speaking, most of them when your interpretation is added.

You are cherry picking the data to fit your preconceived notions and that is not how science is done. You are misrepresenting the scenario data from the CDC as actual numbers when they are not.

I have not had the opportunity to dig into the CDC's claim that 10x the official number have been infected. That is their estimation - that much is true. How accurate that estimation turns out to be is questionable. To state it as if it were fact is...dubious, at best.

I am generally avoiding preprint publications due to the very high number of poor to very poor "studies" and article being published. That has caused this thread to turn into a slow trickle. With few exceptions the preprint articles are really not worth discussing since they are so poor in quality and are often turning out to be quite flawed. Those that I post I place the disclaimer that it is preprint at the least, and at times I've delved further into the problems therein.

My two biggest problems with your posts are the cherry picking and misinterpretation of the data.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I’ve seen reports that some of the border states resurgence could be attributed to both legal and undocumented immigrants.

Where are the author's facts? Where is his evidence? He posits a theory, derides someone else for their "lack of evidence", yet offers none of his own. Terrible article.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
  • Where are the author's facts? Where is his evidence? He posits a theory, derides someone else for their "lack of evidence", yet offers none of his own. Terrible article.
    The New York Times has an article that was updated recently that addresses this. Noticed that I said “some.” I agree that a bunch of Texans with the “mah rights” mindset have set Texas back with their non masks wearing ways, but you can’t discount all the factors including bar hoppers, stupid coaches conducting practices then having everyone huddle up at the end (I witnessed this first hand while walking in the park), and immigration.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

• The New York Times has an article that was updated recently that addresses this. Noticed that I said “some.” I agree that a bunch of Texans with the “mah rights” mindset have set Texas back with their non masks wearing ways, but you can’t discount all the factors including bar hoppers, stupid coaches conducting practices then having everyone huddle up at the end (I witnessed this first hand while walking in the park), and immigration.
This story is totally different than the one you posted before. The NY Times makes it clear that these are American citizens and legal residents coming back from Mexico. The other article suggested that illegal immigrants were sneaking into America and taking beds away from Americans. The purpose of that article was to deflect, pointing toward this expressed question:

Are covid-infected Mexican and Central American citizens or others, with no legal status, illegally crossing the border to take beds and care — at U.S. taxpayer expense — that American citizens suffered terrible economic lock downs to free up for Americans?

Reactions: NationalTitles18

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

Quote:
"Finally, concomitant steroid use in patients receiving hydroxychloroquine was more than double the non-treated group. This is relevant considering the recent RECOVERY trial that showed a mortality benefit with dexamethasone." The steroid dexamethasone can reduce inflammation in seriously ill patients.

The bolded is probably the most important line in the article, but this is also important:

Rosenberg also pointed out that the Detroit paper excluded 267 patients -- nearly 10% of the study population -- who had not yet been discharged from the hospital.

IOW, the study has some weak points.

It may be worth doing more studies. I'm not convinced for or against at this point but the studies have so far not been overwhelmingly favorable. The one preprint study that showed harm was withdrawn when the database provider refused to release the raw data for verification.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and B1GTide

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

Quote:
"Finally, concomitant steroid use in patients receiving hydroxychloroquine was more than double the non-treated group. This is relevant considering the recent RECOVERY trial that showed a mortality benefit with dexamethasone." The steroid dexamethasone can reduce inflammation in seriously ill patients.

The bolded is probably the most important line in the article, but this is also important:

Rosenberg also pointed out that the Detroit paper excluded 267 patients -- nearly 10% of the study population -- who had not yet been discharged from the hospital.

IOW, the study has some weak points.

It may be worth doing more studies. I'm not convinced for or against at this point but the studies have so far not been overwhelmingly favorable. The one preprint study that showed harm was withdrawn when the database provider refused to release the raw data for verification.
It is profound to me that this far into this global pandemic with it literally ablaze in the United States there is no voice within the CDC providing guidance on treatment protocols on a national basis. From a practical standpoint the life or death of infected individuals depends on the location of testing and treatment. There literally should be no question that this crisis has been, and still is, being fumbled incredibly badly at the national level requiring reexamination of every position within the CDC and of course the executive branch. Then there is WHO??? Count me as completely dismayed at where we sit as a nation today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.