COVID-19 Vaccine Issues and New Poll

If a Vaccine is Safe and Effective Will You take it?

• Yes

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • No

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Only if my healthcare provider recommends it

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Is Slauoi one of Trump's minions? Honest question as I know nothing about him.

Yes.

Trump Administration Announces Framework and Leadership for 'Operation Warp Speed'
On Friday, the Trump Administration announced the appointment of Moncef Slaoui as chief advisor and General Gustave F. Perna as chief operating officer of Operation Warp Speed (OWS), the administration's national program to accelerate the development, manufacturing, and distribution of COVID-19 vaccines, therapeutics, and diagnostics (medical countermeasures).
Dr. Slaoui is a venture capitalist and, formerly, Chairman of Global Research and Development and Chairman of Global Vaccines at GlaxoSmithKline, where he led the development of five major novel vaccines.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
Soo... in trying to get my husband a vaccine... the Mobile Health Department is now out, I ended up fb messaging them because phones always tied up, and not sure when they'll get more. The Moderna and Pfizer sign up sheet for an appointment with a hospital provider has changed their requirements...
Now an MD or hospital worker, but not other HC workers. I'm going to call Infirmary tomorrow to at least get clarification.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Soo... in trying to get my husband a vaccine... the Mobile Health Department is now out, I ended up fb messaging them because phones always tied up, and not sure when they'll get more. The Moderna and Pfizer sign up sheet for an appointment with a hospital provider has changed their requirements...
Now an MD or hospital worker, but not other HC workers. I'm going to call Infirmary tomorrow to at least get clarification.
Nobody seems to know. The HH CEO said last Tuesday they had no idea when the next shipment would arrive and it made it impossible to plan. Another hospital admin told me today they hope to receive word tomorrow on when they'll get more...

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and MobtownK

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

FDA Statement on Following the Authorized Dosing Schedules for COVID-19 Vaccines

For Immediate Release:January 04, 2021Statement From:
Commissioner of Food and Drugs - Food and Drug Administration
Stephen M. Hahn M.D.
Director - Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER)

Peter Marks M.D., PhD.
Two different mRNA vaccines have now shown remarkable effectiveness of about 95% in preventing COVID-19 infection in adults. As the first round of vaccine recipients become eligible to receive their second dose, we want to remind the public about the importance of receiving COVID-19 vaccines according to how they’ve been authorized by the FDA in order to safely receive the level of protection observed in the large randomized trials supporting their effectiveness.
We have been following the discussions and news reports about reducing the number of doses, extending the length of time between doses, changing the dose (half-dose), or mixing and matching vaccines in order to immunize more people against COVID-19. These are all reasonable questions to consider and evaluate in clinical trials. However, at this time, suggesting changes to the FDA-authorized dosing or schedules of these vaccines is premature and not rooted solidly in the available evidence. Without appropriate data supporting such changes in vaccine administration, we run a significant risk of placing public health at risk, undermining the historic vaccination efforts to protect the population from COVID-19.
The available data continue to support the use of two specified doses of each authorized vaccine at specified intervals. For the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, the interval is 21 days between the first and second dose. And for the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, the interval is 28 days between the first and second dose.
What we have seen is that the data in the firms’ submissions regarding the first dose is commonly being misinterpreted. In the phase 3 trials, 98% of participants in the Pfizer-BioNTech trial and 92% of participants in the Moderna trial received two doses of the vaccine at either a three- or four-week interval, respectively. Those participants who did not receive two vaccine doses at either a three-or four-week interval were generally only followed for a short period of time, such that we cannot conclude anything definitive about the depth or duration of protection after a single dose of vaccine from the single dose percentages reported by the companies.
Using a single dose regimen and/or administering less than the dose studied in the clinical trials without understanding the nature of the depth and duration of protection that it provides is concerning, as there is some indication that the depth of the immune response is associated with the duration of protection provided. If people do not truly know how protective a vaccine is, there is the potential for harm because they may assume that they are fully protected when they are not, and accordingly, alter their behavior to take unnecessary risks.
We know that some of these discussions about changing the dosing schedule or dose are based on a belief that changing the dose or dosing schedule can help get more vaccine to the public faster. However, making such changes that are not supported by adequate scientific evidence may ultimately be counterproductive to public health.
We have committed time and time again to make decisions based on data and science. Until vaccine manufacturers have data and science supporting a change, we continue to strongly recommend that health care providers follow the FDA-authorized dosing schedule for each COVID-19 vaccine.
The FDA, an agency within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, protects the public health by assuring the safety, effectiveness, and security of human and veterinary drugs, vaccines and other biological products for human use, and medical devices. The agency also is responsible for the safety and security of our nation’s food supply, cosmetics, dietary supplements, products that give off electronic radiation, and for regulating tobacco products.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is what happens when we allow social media to brain wash our populace. It undermines our educational system. We are becoming a third world country in more ways than one.

Reactions: MobtownK and Bamaro

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
who could have known this kind of thing would happen when you put incompetent morons in charge of things

• Sad
Reactions: UAH and MobtownK

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
who could have known this kind of thing would happen when you put incompetent morons in charge of things

I have heard it could be as much as a year before they have everybody vaccinated. It is an absolute cluster right now.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
At the rate we are going now, I'm not sure they can possibly give the 2nd dose according to the does schedule. What happens if someone can't get a 2nd dose? Do they have to start over when available again?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
At the rate we are going now, I'm not sure they can possibly give the 2nd dose according to the does schedule. What happens if someone can't get a 2nd dose? Do they have to start over when available again?
Vaccine deliveries are increasing at the state level week over week, so I don't see that being a problem. The total numbers are lower than expected, but they are still increasing.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I wondered the same thing. I may be able to get the first shot this week or next. I saw a timeline the other day on how the Moderna develops. Of course, each person's immune system is unique, but they estimates you would build up immunity up in the 80s (still higher than any flue shot) by the time you receive the second shot, which should boost you up to mid-90s. If this is accurate, it wouldn't be the end of the world if you never received the second shot. Anyway, it's uncertain just how long the immunity lasts. If it wears off in a year or less, then obviously you would have to start over, as with a flu shot...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Part of the debate now is that the second doses, to my understanding, are being held back so they will be available to those who received the first dose.

As far as missing the scheduled time for the second dose - the recommendation is to simply get the second dose and NOT to begin all over again. This is in keeping with most other similar dosing schedules when a scheduled dose is missed.

Administration
The mRNA COVID-19 vaccine series consist of two doses administered intramuscularly:

• Pfizer-BioNTech (30 µg, 0.3 ml each): three weeks (21 days) apart
  • Moderna (100 µg, 0.5 ml): one month (28 days) apart
Second doses administered within a grace period of ≤4 days from the recommended date for the second dose are considered valid; however, doses administered earlier do not need to be repeated. The second dose should be administered as close to the recommended interval as possible. However, there is no maximum interval between the first and second dose for either vaccine.

Last edited:

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
I called around this morning... 2 hospitals are only giving to their employees, 1 is out till the 14th, the other takes no one after December 15th. Infirmary is not taking anyone at the moment, but making up a new vax schedule hopefully this afternoon - they said to call back then.

Health Department notifications have been on for near a year, so if they get some I'll go that route.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I called around this morning... 2 hospitals are only giving to their employees, 1 is out till the 14th, the other takes no one after December 15th. Infirmary is not taking anyone at the moment, but making up a new vax schedule hopefully this afternoon - they said to call back then.

Health Department notifications have been on for near a year, so if they get some I'll go that route.
At least the elderly can get vaccinated down south. Up here it will be quite a while before anyone outside of a long term care facility gets vaccinated in the general population.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
At least the elderly can get vaccinated down south. Up here it will be quite a while before anyone outside of a long term care facility gets vaccinated in the general population.
True - although not elderly, I'd like to get him a shot in the 1a group he qualifies for among us since he sees high risk patients.
Unfortunately, unless work is advocating for you, or you have your own personal secretary to make calls tracking one down, then it's hard to find...

Reactions: B1GTide

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Part of the debate now is that the second doses, to my understanding, are being held back to they will be available to those who received the first dose.

As far as missing the scheduled time for the second dose - the recommendation is to simply get the second dose and NOT to begin all over again. This is in keeping with most other similar dosing schedules when a scheduled dose is missed.

Administration
The mRNA COVID-19 vaccine series consist of two doses administered intramuscularly:

• Pfizer-BioNTech (30 µg, 0.3 ml each): three weeks (21 days) apart
  • Moderna (100 µg, 0.5 ml): one month (28 days) apart
Second doses administered within a grace period of ≤4 days from the recommended date for the second dose are considered valid; however, doses administered earlier do not need to be repeated. The second dose should be administered as close to the recommended interval as possible. However, there is no maximum interval between the first and second dose for either vaccine.
Tony, do you know if there's any qualitative difference between the two doses?

Reactions: NationalTitles18
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.