COVID-19 Vaccine Issues and New Poll

If a Vaccine is Safe and Effective Will You take it?

• Yes

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • No

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Only if my healthcare provider recommends it

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Sort of an open-ended question or else I'm not quite understanding the question. Can you be more specific?
Yeah, I wasn't being too clear. What I'm asking, since I'm not that knowledgeable about vaccines, particularly novel ones, is whether or not the booster shot is made up just of the same mRNA nanoparticles - just fewer of them - or is there some other difference. BTW, the rather rapid buildup figures I heard were, I think, on NPR. I've been unable to find them again. However, IIRC, the buildup of immunity was noticeable by ten days and was 90% complete by the booster. I was startled, TBF. I think they based it on antibody counts. I'll keep looking...

Reactions: NationalTitles18

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Yeah, I wasn't being too clear. What I'm asking, since I'm not that knowledgeable about vaccines, particularly novel ones, is whether or not the booster shot is made up just of the same mRNA nanoparticles - just fewer of them - or is there some other difference. BTW, the rather rapid buildup figures I heard were, I think, on NPR. I've been unable to find them again. However, IIRC, the buildup of immunity was noticeable by ten days and was 90% complete by the booster. I was startled, TBF. I think they based it on antibody counts. I'll keep looking...
They are the exact same in constitutional terms. I pulled up the briefing document on the pfizer vaccine. There's a definite boost in efficacy, neutralizing antibody titer, and cell immunity responses after the second dose. BETWEEN dose 1 and 2 efficacy is 52% but jumps WAY up at least seven days after the second dose.

Table 11. This didn't show as I'd hoped, so you'll have to go to the link to see it.

The early onset of protection is readily apparent in Figure 13, which displays cumulative incidence for the first COVID-19 occurrence after Dose 1 among all vaccinated participants based on Dose 1 all-available efficacy (modified intention-to-treat) population. Disease onset appears to track together for BNT162b2 and placebo until approximately 14 days after Dose 1, at which point the curves diverge, with cases steadily accumulating in the placebo group, while remaining virtually flat in the BNT162b2 group.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Reactions: NationalTitles18

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
I called around this morning... 2 hospitals are only giving to their employees, 1 is out till the 14th, the other takes no one after December 15th. Infirmary is not taking anyone at the moment, but making up a new vax schedule hopefully this afternoon - they said to call back then.

Health Department notifications have been on for near a year, so if they get some I'll go that route.
Got an appointment for my husband for later this month with Infirmary - the only day they are open to outside providers. It was listed as the Pfizer vax, but if they have the Moderna instead, that's fine too. I feel grateful that he's now on a list and in the system.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
My daughter had the Pfizer shot last week and said her arm and shoulder were really sore for one day (more than any flu shot she had) and that was all she noticed. Don't know if the soreness was due to the vaccine itself or the shot giver. Son-in-law had shot yesterday and he hasn't complained about it.
Follow up to above: My daughter has fever, aches, and chills with the second vaccination. Same thing with another doctor in her office.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
SIAP- educators in Alabama are getting the vaccine (Moderna). My wife signed up on Monday, and I thought it would be a little while before she got it. She gets her first shot today. Barring a reaction, she will get the second around Feb 5th.

ETA- it‘s 28 days not 21 like Pfizer’s vaccine. So her next one will be on February 11.

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
With the bits and pieces that I hear now about the 2 vaccines available at this time, I'm getting confused as to the expected results of these vaccines. We hear about mid 90's efficacy but does this refer to immunity or reduction of severity or some combination of both. What should we reasonably expect from them?

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
With the bits and pieces that I hear now abbout the 2 vaccines available at this time, I'm getting confused as to the expected results of these vaccines. We hear about mid 90's efficacy but does this refer to immunity or reduction of severity or some combination of both. What should we reasonably expect from them?
Actually it's a combination. Pfizer broke down the numbers into the ones who tested positive, 172 IIRC, and a larger group, 3604, IIRC, and modified their claims to read something to the effect that their vaccine either protected entirely or made the infection much milder. This has been true of flu vaccines for decades. With this definition, they reached 95%. It's important to note that the "mild symptom" group did not test positive. Dr. Peter Doshi, who has been very critical of other vaccines, flu and malaria, for two, has written that the 3600+ should be grouped in as failures and thus the success rate is 19%, rather than 95%. You can Google him, if your want...

• Thank You
Reactions: Bamaro and B1GTide

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
With the bits and pieces that I hear now abbout the 2 vaccines available at this time, I'm getting confused as to the expected results of these vaccines. We hear about mid 90's efficacy but does this refer to immunity or reduction of severity or some combination of both. What should we reasonably expect from them?

One article I found helpful. It’s about the Moderna vaccine but also has some information about the Pfizer too.

Reactions: B1GTide

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
So do we even know the delivery schedule of the remaining doses of the 300 million doses the tax payers have paid for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.