Votes: 5 13.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm glad that I could slip into the immunocompromised crack and get the full strength booster instead of the 50%. That's one of the options they're discussing now in the face of Omicron. My wife got it too, for living with me. :) We're three months from the 4th shot. I'm sort of torn between trying to speed it up a bit and waiting to see if they have an Omicron-specific addition by March. They don't seem to be really sure as to what appropriate wait intervals are...
since my daughter got the full adult dose on shot number two, i'm hoping she has a little more uumph in her immunity ;)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
since my daughter got the full adult dose on shot number two, i'm hoping she has a little more uumph in her immunity ;)
I'm getting a little bit fed up with the hectoring by the WHO about boosters. It's become very apparent that it requires the booster to be completely inoculated, particularly with the Omicron variant. (And who knows how many follow-on variants.) The preaching runs that we should send it all overseas. BS! First, we've already sent more than all other countries combined. Second, in several instances, we've already exceeded the capacity of the sub-Saharan African countries, to administer the vaccines, given the logistics plus a degree of hesitancy which makes our population look downright eagerly accepting. There's more to it than just flooding countries with doses which won't be used. If anyone thinks that we have the vaccine, plus the personnel, to vaccinate, for example, the PRC, and all the other countries, they're fooling themselves, just as the WHO is fooling themselves. Their pronouncements have taken on the tenor of politically correct, but empty, statements. We're in the position of having to protect our own population against the world...

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I'm glad that I could slip into the immunocompromised crack and get the full strength booster instead of the 50%. That's one of the options they're discussing now in the face of Omicron. My wife got it too, for living with me. :) We're three months from the 4th shot. I'm sort of torn between trying to speed it up a bit and waiting to see if they have an Omicron-specific addition by March. They don't seem to be really sure as to what appropriate wait intervals are...
Last I heard about the booster, it was such a strong kick to the immune system that six months should be the minimum of its full protection…but that was before Omicron.
There are so many getting infected in those states I’d be shocked if they don’t have as-yet-unnamed variants floating around. The longer this virus stays active and the more it spreads, that is probably a given.
I think I’m goin to Kathmandu…🎼🤷‍♂️

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Last I heard about the booster, it was such a strong kick to the immune system that six months should be the minimum of its full protection…but that was before Omicron.
There are so many getting infected in those states I’d be shocked if they don’t have as-yet-unnamed variants floating around. The longer this virus stays active and the more it spreads, that is probably a given.
I think I’m goin to Kathmandu🎼🤷‍♂️
And that might land you right into the hotbed of a new variant. TBF, right now, I regard the boosters as our way of protecting ourselves against the rest of the world...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Just a note from the front lines here about what's on the horizon - expect 2022 to be the year that even if somehow Covid crests, you're going to wait longer to be seen/get care for anything non-emergent due to the same staffing reductions you're seeing at restaurants, etc. And just to be clear, this is NOT because of a huge outflow of anti-vaxxers in health care (very few of those - as is always the case - will actually follow through, it's all posturing and talk for the most part. Maybe 4-5%, still important but not 20).

However.....

I attended a leadership development course as a supervisor Thursday before last, and we were given the results of the company's research into employment future. It's NOT promising. Their own research of the entire company (not just my hospital) shows that within six months a full 30% of the health care work force (again for the company, not necessarily US wide) will leave their jobs, 40% of whom have no job lined up - and virtually none of this having anything to do with the vaccine.

At the same time, I ordered supplies again on Monday and AGAIN got an entire list of items that were immediately placed on "backorder." The list getting longer in and of itself is not surprising, it's usually maybe one week for now. However, multiple tests including albumin and (get ready) creatinine (which along with BUN is how they measure your kidney function) are not available until March 1, 2022. Same with High Sensitivity Troponins - which is the newly installed method that will do away with the diagnosis of "unstable angina" according to the inventors of the test.

On top of that, our supply consumption is going up quicker than I can measure it. We actually ran out of one reagent last week that assists with Electrolyte testing. I had to overnight it from Delaware to make sure we didn't run out the next day because you can't even have a lab without checking sodium, potassium, chloride.

I've begun waking up every night with multiple anxiety attacks over the job, probably because I actually do care about doing a good one. I've begun forgetting things, too - now granted, part of that is probably being 52 years old now, but you can probably suspect that really freaks someone like me out even more so than the average person.

And on top of that there is apparently a "lazy gap" or something developing proving what I've always suspected, that it doesn't REALLY (in most cases) make much difference whether one is the management or the labor - that's not what makes people good or bad in their handling of stuff. There ARE well-run companies who demonstrate their concern about employees, and there ARE very good employees - and the opposite is also true. We've gotten to the point several folks who are working are doing far less than their best - knowingly and willingly - not fatigue, just "you're not gonna fire me because you don't have anyone to replace me" mentality. I've gone behind folks as is my job and found they did something poorly or not at all, and the look on their face tells me they could care less if I have more work to do because of them.

All this to say that I doubt my hospital is the only one with these issues. One 75 miles up the road is in such dire straits they're offering a $20K sign-on bonus for a one-year contract because they had so many employees working 60-hour weeks. We got so bad that I had to leave the Iron Bowl right as we began the tying drive to work a 12-hour night shift. (I'm willing to do my part, but good Lord). Most hospital lab jobs offered right now are offering bonsues that START at $3K and go upwards to $30K (Texarkana).

All this to intersperse both my personal drama and the public drama playing out before us in one narrative and to tell you - don't be shocked if your appointments take longer for anything requiring a hospital or lab sendouts to one. (I cannot comment on private offices, I don't know).

My LOA begins Wednesday, which I will spend with my son on his 23rd birthday.
I've already set up appointments for the eye doctor and a full-fledged physical for everything wrong with me in mid-January (they had nothing left this year, which stinks for my deductible). I will also be abandoning (for that time anyway) social media, not defriending anyone but simply not posting for the period (both FB and Twitter). I'll take my annual sojourn to Duluth for Christmas (son going with me this year, too). And trying to find the value in small things, too.

Just be ready for health care to be worse for awhile is what I guess I'm saying.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Question @selmaborntidefan, was any of this avoidable, with or without the pandemic, or is this where the train has been heading for a long time now?

What needs to happen to improve the whole system? I know the pandemic has exacerbated some of these things but the staffing issues fascinate me. I know or have a acquaintance with so many that go to nursing school yet, I don't remember a time during my adult life when there hasn't been a shortage of nurses. Do these people never become nurses? Why has there been a shortage for so long?

Reactions: MobtownK

crimbru

1st Team
Sep 15, 2011
Brussels, Belgium
Wish my daughter in France could get the Moderna, but all they have available is Pfizer...
My wife and son went to the same place I did on Saturday and they received Pfizer but since then it’s been moderna at that center. Seems they are going with Pfizer until it runs out at each center then moving to moderna. Maybe it has to do with the storage conditions? My daughter went to a different place earlier and it was Pfizer but she said she’d be the last ones because they also said they were switching the next day.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My wife and son went to the same place I did on Saturday and they received Pfizer but since then it’s been moderna at that center. Seems they are going with Pfizer until it runs out at each center then moving to moderna. Maybe it has to do with the storage conditions? My daughter went to a different place earlier and it was Pfizer but she said she’d be the last ones because they also said they were switching the next day.
My daughter is all the way across, over in the Alps and, in their area, only Pfizer has been available so far. It's odd, since, in November, the high health authority in France recommended that only Pfizer be given to those under 18, because of the small myocarditis risk, but preferred Moderna for all over 18...

crimbru

1st Team
Sep 15, 2011
Brussels, Belgium
My daughter is all the way across, over in the Alps and, in their area, only Pfizer has been available so far. It's odd, since, in November, the high health authority in France recommended that only Pfizer be given to those under 18, because of the small myocarditis risk, but preferred Moderna for all over 18...
I wonder if it’s a supply issue for moderna when the data started pointing to a greater outcome? Has she looked around or can she only get vaccinated in he area? We vacationed on lake Annecy for 20 years. Is she near there? Incredible region and miss going there. I buy the regional cheeses here just for nostalgic reasons but eating them without the lake and mountains in view just isn’t the same.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Gov. Ivey spoke to the local Rotary club yesterday. When she started up about how she has the state suing on three fronts against vaccination mandates she was applauded by the audience.
These are supposed to be reasonable moderates and leaders of the community and they are cheering this? Good grief.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Gov. Ivey spoke to the local Rotary club yesterday. When she started up about how she has the state suing on three fronts against vaccination mandates she was applauded by the audience.
These are supposed to be reasonable moderates and leaders of the community and they are cheering this? Good grief.
these people are self-absorbed and delusional.

Reactions: B1GTide

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
due to the same staffing reductions you're seeing at restaurants
What's wrong with you lazy healthcare workers and not wanting to work? We are going to have to call in the boomers to pick up the slack just like we did at restaurants.

I will also be abandoning (for that time anyway) social media
You aren't going to miss it. One of the best decisions I ever made and haven't looked back. Even if you decide to go back, try uninstalling the apps from your phone so they only way to check is via PC.

Reactions: Con

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Question @selmaborntidefan, was any of this avoidable, with or without the pandemic, or is this where the train has been heading for a long time now?

What needs to happen to improve the whole system? I know the pandemic has exacerbated some of these things but the staffing issues fascinate me. I know or have a acquaintance with so many that go to nursing school yet, I don't remember a time during my adult life when there hasn't been a shortage of nurses. Do these people never become nurses? Why has there been a shortage for so long?
I'll touch on this.

Last day at work for awhile for me today so let me look at this with fresh eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.