Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I am quoting the last few posts from the previous thread so discussion may continue:

Don't say anything about the population being larger now unless you also acknowledge that many more would be dead with 1918 technology.
My mom went and received her booster shot last week. She’s in the age bracket that the FDA says that is necessary. I’m a Republican that is fully vaccinated and I want one as well. The FDA is against this. For whatever reason. Hell, I’ll get one a month if I need to. What are your opinions? I’m asking this as a serious question. I’m completely a pro vaccine person.
I am asthmatic and I will get it in December. My doctor recommended me to do it and that is good enough for me.
I'm a healthcare worker and hoping to get one next month.

As for the advisory committee... their job is to look at the evidence and determine the need, safety, and efficacy. They feel they lack evidence for a booster for those not at higher risk. I'm good with that so long as it's based on the evidence, which it appears to be.
I want to add that they appeared to focus on the original goal of reducing/mitigating the harms of COVID (severe disease/hospitalization and death) and did not attempt to expand the goal to mitigating the spread of COVID-19. That is frustrating to see since that goal was picked to speed up the roll out of the vaccine and ignores the need to reduce spread as much as possible. In other words, I'm not entirely happy with their decision and hope that in the future they will change their focus to cover infection and transmission as well. We have much more data in that regard now. Frankly, I feel they felt a need to be seen as independent from the WH and I feel that likely played into their decision as well - which is also frustrating.

• Thank You
Reactions: DzynKingRTR

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
My wife and I are fully Vaxed. We got the Moderna Shots. We are both over 65 and plan to get a Moderna booster, if and when it becomes available. Meanwhile we have been taking a Dr's recommended variety of Vitamins and Minerals for 1 1/2 years now. FWIW: We are both blood type 'O', and we have avoided crowds. From what I was given to understand last year, Type 'O' blood slightly tilts the scale in our favor.
I don't know if there is anything to the blood variety, but as long as it favors both of us we are willing to believe.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
bamamc1 said:
My mom went and received her booster shot last week. She’s in the age bracket that the FDA says that is necessary. I’m a Republican that is fully vaccinated and I want one as well. The FDA is against this. For whatever reason. Hell, I’ll get one a month if I need to. What are your opinions? I’m asking this as a serious question. I’m completely a pro vaccine person.

@bamamc1 - While I am no longer a republican, my husband and I are both biologists - he is conservative & in healthcare. This is beyond political for us both.

Me, him, and our oldest have all been vaccinated. My youngest 2 aren't eligible yet.
Husband has discoid lupus, my son who's too young to be vaccinated yet has intermittent asthma (he's been sick now for a week and croupy - no covid - sounds terrible), & I have 3 chronic conditions - 2 of which are kind of inflammatory response type illnesses. None of us are considered "immune compromised."

I'll be seeking booster shots for all of us and have it on the calendar already when it's time. I'm hoping to see it included in our annual flu shots in the future & have already talked to the doc about my youngest 2.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Reactions: B1GTide and Jon

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
On a good note, here in GA we are trending downward on case count for this 4th wave. We peaked Aug 31st and have been sharply falling since. I still think by Halloween we will be back to whatever "normal" is for an endemic delta variant.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I (and my wife) got in on the Moderna immunocompromised "window" for the full dose (not the half-strength booster). Addressing the side effects, for both of us, the side effects were a bit less than with the second shot. In each instance, my reactions were worse than hers by far. I hope that's a sign that the meds which placed me in the immunocompromised category originally didn't sabotage my protection. My impression of the half Pfizer booster dose and the planned Moderna booster are "enough to do the job." I suspect that administering a full 3rd shot doesn't really help that much in the antibody titer (all the immune cells they can measure now), so a half dose saves a lot of vaccine. I posted this mainly because of hearing about numerous "bootleg" 3rd shots being given, by which I mean shots given by docs and pharmacists outside the guidelines. I think there have been enough of those and my category given to conclude that a full 3rd dose is unlikely to be damaging...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
On a good note, here in GA we are trending downward on case count for this 4th wave. We peaked Aug 31st and have been sharply falling since. I still think by Halloween we will be back to whatever "normal" is for an endemic delta variant.
Dad was in the ER yesterday in Cumming. Fell and bruised his hip, he's fine. The ER took him right back no wait and he said it was relatively calm. He'd know, he is known by most in that ER now as he gets there quite often at this point

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

On a GoFundMe page that has reaised over $11,000 for her funeral, a loved one also shared the new, which is 'devastating to everyone that knew her.'

'Kristen was a beautiful and amazing woman but more than that she was a phenomenal mother who always, ALWAYS put her children first,' she wrote.

• Thank You
Reactions: B1GTide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.