• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
4Q Basket,
NT18 addresses your question about vaccinated people being intubated upstream in this thread. I understood that he had never seen a vaccinated person get sick enough to be intubated.
I am definitely not "One Vaxxed Nurse", though at times I do think of myself as "One Vexed Nurse". :D

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
Memorial wins court order to deny controversial drug ivermectin as COVID-19 treatment

From Springfield, Illinois, and a judge who was less impressed by horse dewormer than a judge in Ohio.

"Anita Clouse said both she and her husband, a self-employed kitchen and bathroom remodeler who have been married 43 years and have three children, two grandchildren and one great-grandchild, decided not to get vaccinated.

The couple worried, based on their own research, that they would become sicker from the vaccine than from COVID-19, she said.

Anita Clouse said she contracted COVID-19 the same time as her husband, but her symptoms were mild. She remains unvaccinated and unconvinced about the benefits of a vaccine widely praised by medical authorities.

She said she and her husband don’t consider themselves political but are regular Fox News viewers and voted for President Donald Trump in November."

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Memorial wins court order to deny controversial drug ivermectin as COVID-19 treatment

From Springfield, Illinois, and a judge who was less impressed by horse dewormer than a judge in Ohio.

"Anita Clouse said both she and her husband, a self-employed kitchen and bathroom remodeler who have been married 43 years and have three children, two grandchildren and one great-grandchild, decided not to get vaccinated.

The couple worried, based on their own research, that they would become sicker from the vaccine than from COVID-19, she said.

Anita Clouse said she contracted COVID-19 the same time as her husband, but her symptoms were mild. She remains unvaccinated and unconvinced about the benefits of a vaccine widely praised by medical authorities.

She said she and her husband don’t consider themselves political but are regular Fox News viewers and voted for President Donald Trump in November."
Not political at all. :rolleyes:

Reactions: MobtownK and 92tide

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I’m curious as to the stats on intubation / ventilators.

What percentage of people who get go on ventilators eventually die?

What percentage of the people who go on ventilators and survive were vaccinated?

What percentage of the people who go on ventilators and die were vaccinated?

My intuitive guesses would be (1) at least half, (2) well over half, and (3) not many. But that’s pure conjecture on my part.

Are there any hard numbers?

Early on in NY that was as high as 88%. Two factors likely contributed the most to such a high number: a. most were elderly and b. they were treated with early ventilator intervention (and at high pressure settings) as ARDS patients had been treated previously. IIRC, a hospital in Chicago discovered HFNC and other high flow O2 therapies improved survival over mechanical ventilation.

Here is info from a more recent meta-analysis:

Measurements and Results: Sixty-nine studies were included, describing 57,420 adult patients with COVID-19 who received IMV. Overall reported CFR was estimated as 45% (95% confidence interval [CI], 39-52%). Fifty-four of 69 studies stated whether hospital outcomes were available but provided a definitive hospital outcome on only 13,120 (22.8%) of the total IMV patient population. Among studies in which age-stratified CFR was available, pooled CFR estimates ranged from 47.9% (95% CI, 46.4-49.4%) in younger patients (age ≤40 yr) to 84.4% (95% CI, 83.3-85.4%) in older patients (age >80 yr). CFR was also higher in early COVID-19 epicenters. Overall heterogeneity is high (I2 >90%), with nonsignificant Egger's regression test suggesting no publication bias.

In a quick search I did not find Vaxxed vs Unvaxxed rates of mortality in mechanically ventilated patients. Most everything I've seen still shows unvaccinated people still account for 90-99% of deaths.

Here's what ADPH said 8 days ago:

The message here is that if you are vaccinated you are much less likely to be hospitalized, end up on a ventilator, or to die.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I agree, though do not know the actual statistics - if the disease has progressed that far, the prognosis is not good.
4Q Basket,
NT18 addresses your question about vaccinated people being intubated upstream in this thread. I understood that he had never seen a vaccinated person get sick enough to be intubated.
I know only one person who went on a ventilator. It was a couple of weeks ago. He‘s one of those people who was braying like a donkey, “Ain’t nobody gonna tell ME what to do,” and was unvaccinated. He did survive. But he’s home now, and his previously un-vaxxed wife is having to use up her sick leave to take care of him — he’s still on a walker, and can’t do much of anything for himself.

The refusal of these people to think beyond their own noses is enough to make the Pope cuss a blue streak.

I am definitely not "One Vaxxed Nurse", though at times I do think of myself as "One Vexed Nurse". :D
Congratulations on being able to keep a sense of humor in extremely unhumorous circumstances.

It’ll help keep you sane — assuming you ever were in the first place. ;-)

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I know only one person who went on a ventilator. He was unvaccinated, and did survive. But he’s home now, and his previously un-vaxxed wife is having to use up her sick leave to take care of him — he’s still on a walker, and can’t do much of anything for himself.

The refusal of these people to think beyond their own noses is enough to make the Pope cuss a blue streak.

Congratulations on being able to keep a sense of humor in extremely unhumorous circumstances.

It’ll help keep you sane — assuming you ever were in the first place. ;-)

You sure do assume a lot from me. 🤪 :D

A sick sense of humor (par for the course in my field) and a sprinkling of hope here and there have kept me going. Good distractions like having a reason to change my name also have helped.

Glad that person survived. A high school acquaintance just went on BiPap. An old friend's son is scheduled for monoclonal antibodies and feeling miserable. Someone I've known for a number of years died this past week (unvaccinated, despite my pleas - those spreading disinformation have a "special" place in hell).

I cannot stress enough how important vaccination is. Dammit, vaccination is the best chance we have against this disease!

Somewhere close to half of the vaccinated that are dying are immunocompromised for one reason or another, which places them at much higher risk (obviously). They only comprise a few percent of the population (about 2.7% or so) and still account for half of the vaccinated COVID-19 deaths (despite about 53% of the total US population being vaccinated).

Can't say this enough:

Get flippin' vaccinated today!

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
There were only four intensive care unit beds available Tuesday in the entire state, out of nearly 400, the Republican governor wrote in a news release. There are more COVID-19 patients in ICU beds in the state "than ever before. The vast majority of them are unvaccinated," the release states.

"We are dangerously close to activating statewide crisis standards of care — a historic step that means Idahoans in need of health care could receive a lesser standard of care or may be turned away altogether," Little said.

• "In essence, someone would have to decide who can be treated and who cannot. This affects all of us, not just patients with COVID-19."

Alabama and a few other states are at or are approaching this level of crisis, thanks mostly to vaccine hesitancy and refusal. Simply put, this crisis would not exist if everyone who could be vaccinated was vaccinated. Full stop. There is no serious debate about this.

If "crisis care standards" that curtail and/or deny care are implemented then a serious conversation needs to take place regarding mandatory vaccination for every eligible person in those states. Actually, that conversation should be happening now and if those levels of crisis are reached than mandatory vaccination should be a given. No individual or group of individuals should have the unfettered power to threaten our entire medical system with collapse.

Conversations are already taking place regarding criteria for denial of care during such a crisis. Vaccination status should absolutely be taken into account in deciding who does and who does not have access to care in such a crisis. We cannot allow Purple Heart recipients to die from an easily treatable condition while a minority hold the entire system hostage, as recently happened. That is unconscionable.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
4Q Basket,
At my hospital about 10% of Covid patient's have had their shots. Those in ICU or being placed on vents drop down to 6-7%. Don't know their ages. They are not giving out that info.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Early on in NY that was as high as 88%. Two factors likely contributed the most to such a high number: a. most were elderly and b. they were treated with early ventilator intervention (and at high pressure settings) as ARDS patients had been treated previously. IIRC, a hospital in Chicago discovered HFNC and other high flow O2 therapies improved survival over mechanical ventilation.

Here is info from a more recent meta-analysis:

Measurements and Results: Sixty-nine studies were included, describing 57,420 adult patients with COVID-19 who received IMV. Overall reported CFR was estimated as 45% (95% confidence interval [CI], 39-52%). Fifty-four of 69 studies stated whether hospital outcomes were available but provided a definitive hospital outcome on only 13,120 (22.8%) of the total IMV patient population. Among studies in which age-stratified CFR was available, pooled CFR estimates ranged from 47.9% (95% CI, 46.4-49.4%) in younger patients (age ≤40 yr) to 84.4% (95% CI, 83.3-85.4%) in older patients (age >80 yr). CFR was also higher in early COVID-19 epicenters. Overall heterogeneity is high (I2 >90%), with nonsignificant Egger's regression test suggesting no publication bias.

In a quick search I did not find Vaxxed vs Unvaxxed rates of mortality in mechanically ventilated patients. Most everything I've seen still shows unvaccinated people still account for 90-99% of deaths.

Here's what ADPH said 8 days ago:

The message here is that if you are vaccinated you are much less likely to be hospitalized, end up on a ventilator, or to die.
I agree with you. The only thing I hope for is that they have not stopped trying to improve on what we have. Hopefully they are trying to make the shot better so we see fewer break through cases and possibly none in the future with an improved shot. Whether right or wrong some will look at Alabama's numbers and say 12,000 people got the shot and still got Covid. They won't look at the % of people just the numbers.

Reactions: NationalTitles18

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree with you. The only thing I hope for is that they have not stopped trying to improve on what we have. Hopefully they are trying to make the shot better so we see fewer break through cases and possibly none in the future with an improved shot. Whether right or wrong some will look at Alabama's numbers and say 12,000 people got the shot and still got Covid. They won't look at the % of people just the numbers.
I am surprised that neither Pfizer nor Moderna has a Delta booster at this point. The Delta variant is going to choke out all other variants in the world soon. That is what we need to be fighting - not the original Covid variant.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I am surprised that neither Pfizer nor Moderna has a Delta booster at this point. The Delta variant is going to choke out all other variants in the world soon. That is what we need to be fighting - not the original Covid variant.
I can't find it but I read an article just a couple of days ago saying that both Pfizer and J&J (those were the two mentioned, iirc) were working on it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I can't find it but I read an article just a couple of days ago saying that both Pfizer and J&J (those were the two mentioned, iirc) were working on it.
They are. I've read the same. They are also both working on a "universal," "Swiss Army knife" vaccine which would be effective against all strains of coronaviruses, which operate basically the same with different spikes. Right now, so long as the original vaccine stays effective against Delta, a booster of the same, with an ample supply, makes more sense...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.