Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
interesting. i heard some discussion yesterday with an emory epidemiologist and he was saying it wasn't necessary except for immunocompromised folks. he basically said, the way out is to get unvaccinated folks vaccinated

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Mr Pepper said, “I will do as I can to encourage folks to wear a mask as well as get vaccinated because I can say it is terrible,” he told The Post. “This virus is NOT, Republican, Democrat, Libertarian or Independent. It is its very own thing that is destroying our country but people still bring [politics] into it when they should not.

Now that's some high quality gaslighting right there!
The virus isn't partisan, but right now there's only one political party making opposition to vaccination a litmus test, too. I would have less problem with the bold IF he would have said, "I was guilty of this, and I was wrong." It would have been just fine.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
The virus isn't partisan, but right now there's only one political party making opposition to vaccination a litmus test, too. I would have less problem with the bold IF he would have said, "I was guilty of this, and I was wrong." It would have been just fine.
Agreed, but he's playing it off like it's "the other side" doing it - probably because of the criticism he's receiving. He's an idiot. The citizens of his area would be wise to kick him to the curb if he lives through this.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
A friend of mine (female) and I were texting last night, and she said she had a question but didn't want to offend me. I assumed it was going to be a relationship question, big mistake and ego on my part.

Here's what you need to know about her: master's from Iowa St in kinesiology, thesis approved, always thin, always healthy. No smoke, no drink, etc. A true specimen of 60-year old health whose father recently died at 92 and her monther is still kicking at the same age. Grew up on a farm so eats a lot of grown food when she's there.

So then she drops the bomb:
"Since you work in the lab, why are you so convinced the vaccine is safe?"

I responded:
"Since you don't work int he lab, why are you so convinced it ISN'T?"

She then went with something about the risks of mRNA vaccines, and I just set it aside with a rhetorical question. Eventually, it got into something about her not trusting the guvment, a position that I can at least agree with IF you mean "I don't believe crap politicians say."

But these folks drink tap water approved by the government.
They buy food at the store approved by the government.

Trust me, if the guvment wanted you dead, they're not dependent on a vaccine to pull it off.

She then later said she had seen this vaccine and politics and yadda yadda divide folks, so she hoped I wouldn't hold it against her. I don't. At least she lives so far back in the rural Midwest woods she rarely sees anyone other than family. But my level of tolerance for excuses is way, way down.

Btw - I'm off for ten days and doing not much but sleeping late and a few doctor appointments. I'm gonna do a paperwork run on Sunday night and order some supplies but do no bench work. A rural lab in northern Montana called me about being the lab supervisor, but I told them as inviting as that sounds - and BELIEVE ME, some quaint time in a small place sounds almost like paradise right now (I may take Tony up on his recommendation) - I told them I need some serious rest and would not be a good fit anywhere right now.

Every morning lately I feel my brain empty and get a brief headache and then feel like my guts are full of something.

Get the shot so we can stop wearing the mask.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Agreed, but he's playing it off like it's "the other side" doing it - probably because of the criticism he's receiving. He's an idiot. The citizens of his area would be wise to kick him to the curb if he lives through this.
Oh, I agree with that minimizing of consequence. The fact that both political parties do at times do sleazy things has become the mantra to cloak that right now only one is acting like absolute turds on this thing. It was at least POLITICALLY understandable when Der Fuhrer was in office, but this is a party whose idea of "conservative" means "we don't move past the last guy who was President."

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
you get the government you vote for. these folks voted for a smug 18 year old douche bag for a relatively important government position and now here we are.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
you get the government you vote for. these folks voted for a smug 18 year old douche bag for a relatively important government position and now here we are.
I'm reminded here of one of Bill Engvall's standup jokes about the 19-year old kid got elected mayor in Oklahoma. Which was a funny joke, but it actually happened (John Tyler Hammons).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I see that the committee has recommended it for 65 & up and special cases, which sounds reasonable. What bothers me is that this "vaccinate the unvaccinated" is easy to say and almost impossible to pull off. We are down to the hard core, or almost. That makes the phrase empty and it's just as empty to say that it's immoral for us to be boosting when the rest of the world isn't vaccinated. At present, we can't even begin to make a dent in the rest of the world, whether it would be beneficial to us or not. If we are at the hard political core who won't be vaccinated, then why not boost, even though it wouldn't accomplish as much? I'm suspicious that the committee was influenced by the "morality" argument and pressure. I'm probably influenced by hearing of my first personally-known death from breakthrough last night...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I see that the committee has recommended it for 65 & up and special cases, which sounds reasonable. What bothers me is that this "vaccinate the unvaccinated" is easy to say and almost impossible to pull off. We are down to the hard core, or almost. That makes the phrase empty and it's just as empty to say that it's immoral for us to be boosting when the rest of the world isn't vaccinated. At present, we can't even begin to make a dent in the rest of the world, whether it would be beneficial to us or not. If we are at the hard political core who won't be vaccinated, then why not boost, even though it wouldn't accomplish as much? I'm suspicious that the committee was influenced by the "morality" argument and pressure. I'm probably influenced by hearing of my first personally-known death from breakthrough last night...
pretty much what i was saying to the radio in the car yesterday

Reactions: B1GTide

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
September 17, 2021
"The Population is Shrinking"

“The state population is shrinking, and we have never seen that happen before in the history of Alabama.” That’s what Dr. Scott Harris told reporters on Wednesday. In 2020, Alabama’s death rate exceeded its birth rate for the first time ever, and it is expected to do the same in 2021. Last December, an average of 52 Alabamians died of Covid-19 every single day and that number rose to 68 per day in January. Then, as vaccinations ramped up and cases dropped, deaths declined. By May, only 3 Covid deaths per day were reported in Alabama. Delta’s arrival this summer changed that.
During the last 4 days, 370 Alabamians reportedly died of Covid-19, including 192 today, and 13,048 people in our State have now died overall. Our per capita death rate in the last 7 days is up 110% from the prior week and we are virtually tied with Florida and Mississippi for the highest death rate in the nation. This should surprise no one. For weeks, our state hospitals have been forced to provide more intensive care than they have the space or staff to handle.
Rising hospitalizations lead to rising deaths - and, like Alabama, the rest of the Deep South is besieged with Covid hospitalizations. Those states with the most per capita Covid hospitalizations in the last 14 days are: Kentucky (58/100K); Georgia (56/100K); Alabama (55/100K); Florida (52/100K); West Va. (51/100K); S.C. (50/100K); Tennessee (48/100K); Texas (48/100K); and Mississippi (42/100K).
There is a stunning contrast between the South and the rest of the country in terms of Covid deaths. In a study of CDC data between 1999-2019, published by Fortune magazine, cancer deaths per 100K population varied by a factor of 1.5 from the highest of any state (Mississippi) to the lowest (Utah). Deaths by heart disease varied by a factor of 1.9 from the highest (Oklahoma) to the lowest (Hawaii). In the last 6 months, however, per capita Covid deaths in Florida (highest) have exceeded those in Vermont (lowest) by a factor of 8.4. That is a staggering difference. If Florida and Texas had Covid mortality rates equal to Vermont’s, they would have collectively saved 23,000 lives since March 1 alone.
Death, of course, is a lagging indicator and, like a wildfire, the Delta variant constantly needs new wood to burn. As more Alabamians get vaccinated, there are hopeful signs that the variant may be running out of wood. Since my last letter on Monday, we have seen 14,541 new cases - 3,944 on Tuesday, 3,651 on Wednesday, 3,972 on Thursday and 2,974 today - down from 16,630 cases for the same 4 days the prior week.
Our hospitalization rate has also improved this week - 2,223 patients in 105 hospitals, including 53 children (21.2 per hospital) - down nearly 15% compared to the prior week. UAB Hospital is currently treating 115 Covid patients, a drop from 126 patients two days ago. Yet, there remain over 725 Covid patients in intensive care units throughout the State, out of a total of 1,580 ICU patients overall. Alabama is tied with Kentucky, West Va. and Georgia for the highest per capita ICU occupancy rate in the nation.
Any examination of hospitalization and death in this pandemic must end with the observation that vaccination is the key to survival. Although breakthrough infections do occur, 88% of all hospitalized Covid patients in Alabama are unvaccinated and that percentage has remained constant. Moreover, a new nationwide study of hospital records, published in Research Square, found that, among those cases severe enough to require hospitalization, there is a significant qualitative difference if you’ve been vaccinated. Roughly 57% of the vaccinated patients in the study were considered “soft” hospitalizations, meaning they need only minimal treatment and leave the hospital relatively quickly. That's compared to only 45% of unvaccinated patients who fall in the “soft” category.
Today, an FDA panel voted to recommend against booster shots for younger adults, but supported boosters for seniors aged 65 and older. This vote is further confirmation that vaccines work as intended. Vaccines are not an impenetrable shield and their efficacy begins to wane over 6-8 months. But, they go a long way to prevent severe infection and, most of all, they keep you alive. The totals:
9/5 - 2,162
9/6 - 2,566
9/7 - 2,672
9/8 - 4,791
9/9 - 4,367
9/10 - 4,800
9/11 - 4,494
9/12 - 1,794
9/13 - 2,792
9/14 - 3,944
9/15 - 3,651
9/16 - 3,972
9/17 - 2,974

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
September 17, 2021
“The state population is shrinking, and we have never seen that happen before in the history of Alabama.” That’s what Dr. Scott Harris told reporters on Wednesday. In 2020, Alabama’s death rate exceeded its birth rate for the first time ever, and it is expected to do the same in 2021. Last December, an average of 52 Alabamians died of Covid-19 every single day and that number rose to 68 per day in January. Then, as vaccinations ramped up and cases dropped, deaths declined. By May, only 3 Covid deaths per day were reported in Alabama. Delta’s arrival this summer changed that.

During the last 4 days, 370 Alabamians reportedly died of Covid-19, including 192 today, and 13,048 people in our State have now died overall. Our per capita death rate in the last 7 days is up 110% from the prior week and we are virtually tied with Florida and Mississippi for the highest death rate in the nation. This should surprise no one. For weeks, our state hospitals have been forced to provide more intensive care than they have the space or staff to handle.
Rising hospitalizations lead to rising deaths - and, like Alabama, the rest of the Deep South is besieged with Covid hospitalizations. Those states with the most per capita Covid hospitalizations in the last 14 days are: Kentucky (58/100K); Georgia (56/100K); Alabama (55/100K); Florida (52/100K); West Va. (51/100K); S.C. (50/100K); Tennessee (48/100K); Texas (48/100K); and Mississippi (42/100K).
There is a stunning contrast between the South and the rest of the country in terms of Covid deaths. In a study of CDC data between 1999-2019, published by Fortune magazine, cancer deaths per 100K population varied by a factor of 1.5 from the highest of any state (Mississippi) to the lowest (Utah). Deaths by heart disease varied by a factor of 1.9 from the highest (Oklahoma) to the lowest (Hawaii). In the last 6 months, however, per capita Covid deaths in Florida (highest) have exceeded those in Vermont (lowest) by a factor of 8.4. That is a staggering difference. If Florida and Texas had Covid mortality rates equal to Vermont’s, they would have collectively saved 23,000 lives since March 1 alone.
Death, of course, is a lagging indicator and, like a wildfire, the Delta variant constantly needs new wood to burn. As more Alabamians get vaccinated, there are hopeful signs that the variant may be running out of wood. Since my last letter on Monday, we have seen 14,541 new cases - 3,944 on Tuesday, 3,651 on Wednesday, 3,972 on Thursday and 2,974 today - down from 16,630 cases for the same 4 days the prior week.
Our hospitalization rate has also improved this week - 2,223 patients in 105 hospitals, including 53 children (21.2 per hospital) - down nearly 15% compared to the prior week. UAB Hospital is currently treating 115 Covid patients, a drop from 126 patients two days ago. Yet, there remain over 725 Covid patients in intensive care units throughout the State, out of a total of 1,580 ICU patients overall. Alabama is tied with Kentucky, West Va. and Georgia for the highest per capita ICU occupancy rate in the nation.
Any examination of hospitalization and death in this pandemic must end with the observation that vaccination is the key to survival. Although breakthrough infections do occur, 88% of all hospitalized Covid patients in Alabama are unvaccinated and that percentage has remained constant. Moreover, a new nationwide study of hospital records, published in Research Square, found that, among those cases severe enough to require hospitalization, there is a significant qualitative difference if you’ve been vaccinated. Roughly 57% of the vaccinated patients in the study were considered “soft” hospitalizations, meaning they need only minimal treatment and leave the hospital relatively quickly. That's compared to only 45% of unvaccinated patients who fall in the “soft” category.
Today, an FDA panel voted to recommend against booster shots for younger adults, but supported boosters for seniors aged 65 and older. This vote is further confirmation that vaccines work as intended. Vaccines are not an impenetrable shield and their efficacy begins to wane over 6-8 months. But, they go a long way to prevent severe infection and, most of all, they keep you alive. The totals:
9/5 - 2,162
9/6 - 2,566
9/7 - 2,672
9/8 - 4,791
9/9 - 4,367
9/10 - 4,800
9/11 - 4,494
9/12 - 1,794
9/13 - 2,792
9/14 - 3,944
9/15 - 3,651
9/16 - 3,972
9/17 - 2,974
I have always heard about that rich elite group of people that want population control. I never believed it for years but there may be something to this after all. Oh well, Roll Tide against the gators!

Reactions: Padreruf and Toddrn

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yep. Here you go:

The doses that younger, healthier Americans would consume getting boosted could have much greater impact if authorities sent them abroad to countries that are struggling to keep up with demand for vaccine, Gruber, Krause and their co-authors wrote. “The limited supply of these vaccines will save the most lives if made available to people who are at appreciable risk of serious disease and have not yet received any vaccine.”

“Even if some gain can ultimately be obtained from boosting,” they added, “it will not outweigh the benefits of providing initial protection to the unvaccinated.”
Sending the doses overseas was mentioned...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
September 17, 2021

9/5 - 2,162
9/6 - 2,566
9/7 - 2,672
9/8 - 4,791
9/9 - 4,367
9/10 - 4,800
9/11 - 4,494
9/12 - 1,794
9/13 - 2,792
9/14 - 3,944
9/15 - 3,651
9/16 - 3,972
9/17 - 2,974
You know, before you write, you should learn to read. He didn't say the population was shrinking. He said deaths exceeded births. Apparently, the writer assumed the population was stationary otherwise. In that same year tens of thousands of new residents moved to the Huntsville area. Before the growth of the Huntsville area and Baldwin County, the population was shrinking, despite the fact that births were exceeding deaths. People were born here and leaving here. Now, they're dying here too - and leaving the same areas of the state they were before...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
You know, before you write, you should learn to read. He didn't say the population was shrinking. He said deaths exceeded births. Apparently, the writer assumed the population was stationary otherwise. In that same year tens of thousands of new residents moved to the Huntsville area. Before the growth of the Huntsville area and Baldwin County, the population was shrinking, despite the fact that births were exceeding deaths. People were born here and leaving here. Now, they're dying here too - and leaving the same areas of the state they were before...
In fairness to Frank, Dr Harris did say it, though you are correct about total population growth.

“The state population is shrinking, and we have never seen that happen before in the history of Alabama,” Alabama State Health Officer Dr. Scott Harris said Wednesday.

• Thank You
Reactions: MobtownK

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Pardon my ignorance but despite these idiots voting no to the widespread availability of a Pfizer Booster, does that mean I can not get a Booster at all when I would be due for one in Feb?

I could give a rat's behind if a Booster has FDA approval or Advisory committee approval.... I want to get a Booster so that I am as protected as possible.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Pardon my ignorance but despite these idiots voting no to the widespread availability of a Pfizer Booster, does that mean I can not get a Booster at all when I would be due for one in Feb?

I could give a rat's behind if a Booster has FDA approval or Advisory committee approval.... I want to get a Booster so that I am as protected as possible.
If you are 65 or older or have a high risk condition or possibly a high risk job you can qualify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.