Creativity and a Loaded RB Room

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I find myself wondering if and how there`s a way to scheme more than one of these RBs on the field at once? I suppose that would be somewhat " radical ", but that`s such an abundance of riches I would hope that there would be a way to take advantage of it. It`ll be interesting to see what kind of creative bent CBOB has. Helluva problem!!

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
It will be easy, just orbit motion one, rpo the dive to another, and swing it to the orbit guy, or have BY keep it off tackle opposite direction a few times to keep the guys honest. New age triple option.

You sell these guys on staying fresh with limited carries in college which allows them to shine when they’re on the field and prevent injuries from fatigue. It also allows you to find the ones willing to pick up blitzes.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
We got spoiled with Najee being the main man who got 90% of touches. He was in the perfect situation of being both an elite primary back, but also never having a back behind him who was good enough to take significant touches away from him. I expect our RB situation will look very different next year.

To answer your question, I don’t think CBOB will run too many creative sets. From what I’ve observed he’s always had a straight forward pro style offense. What we’ll likely see though is an RB by committee approach. I’d expect to see a lot of split carries between primarily Robinson and Sanders, and a variance of the younger guys mixed in. Then we’ll progressively shift our gameplan to whoever has the hotter hand through the game.

Of course there’s always the possibility someone develops like crazy and breaks out over the off season. But from what I’ve observed from our RB room, I’d expected touches to be spread across the group.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I find myself wondering if and how there`s a way to scheme more than one of these RBs on the field at once? I suppose that would be somewhat " radical ", but that`s such an abundance of riches I would hope that there would be a way to take advantage of it. It`ll be interesting to see what kind of creative bent CBOB has. Helluva problem!!
Emory Bellard says "Hello!"... :cool:

Reactions: bama2112 and bamaga

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
BhamBama (in the recruiting thread) compares him to a bigger version of Keilan Robinson and says he compares to REGGIE BUSH.

Talk about added another weapon to the arsenal!!!

Reactions: Con and The Ols

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
BhamBama (in the recruiting thread) compares him to a bigger version of Keilan Robinson and says he compares to REGGIE BUSH.

Talk about added another weapon to the arsenal!!!
It`s interesting to speculate as to whether we become more run oriented than we currently are. A bit more " old style" Bama football, even in this era of wide open? Of course, it all starts up front and what those guys do best as a unit.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
We used Drake and Henry at the same time quite a bit. We do a lot of those pop passes to the WR coming across where it's like a handoff but counts as a pass. With some of these RBs being speed/slasher types of runners, that would be a very effectie way to get them onto the field.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We used Drake and Henry at the same time quite a bit. We do a lot of those pop passes to the WR coming across where it's like a handoff but counts as a pass. With some of these RBs being speed/slasher types of runners, that would be a very effectie way to get them onto the field.
Tubafore above you is really right. When Saban has been asked about it, he's replied to the effect of which five star RB do you want to turn into a blocking back. When you put a Henry/Drake duo on the field, it's totally different. Drake was either a receiver or a decoy and that wasn't done very often...

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Tubafore above you is really right. When Saban has been asked about it, he's replied to the effect of which five star RB do you want to turn into a blocking back. When you put a Henry/Drake duo on the field, it's totally different. Drake was either a receiver or a decoy and that wasn't done very often...
Good chance we can run some of our 3s and 4s in the 2nd half if we can take control of the game early. When their Defense is tired, put in a speedy back like McClellan. He can take it to the house.

Reactions: Tenntiderman

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Wondering if any thought will be given to looking at Keilan Robinson at slot receiver? Guy is quick as a hiccup and supposedly has really good hands.
Of course I guess it depends on current depth at that position behind Bolden and the 2021 signing class. At least a couple of those WR look like slot types.

Last edited:

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Well Trey Sanders and Keilian Robinson have been out of football for a while, in the case of Sanders almost two years. I think at RB when you've been out of the game it's hard to get back your edge. I believe you'll see that next year in the NFL with many of those who opted out in 2020 will not make a team. Chances are after spring we will see at least one RB hit the portal.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
It's a small sample, but in a pretty good number of Kenyon's highlights, DH was on the field. Sometimes he blocked, and sometimes DH was the misdirect. I'm sure if we looked at the DH highlights, we would see plays where kenyon was on the field as the misdirect also:

Reactions: Con

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
With this many highled touted backs, I guess my natural feeling from watching football for 45 years, well since birth, is that we will lose 1 maybe 2 that don't pan out, so they'll go portal or just wash through the system. Knowing our record with injuries, I'd expect 1 more, maybe 2, to be limited in carries at any point. That narrows it down to really 2-3 good healthy guys. Easier choice for a starter in that crowd, and if given a big lead like we've had the past number of years, to numbers 2 and 3 remaining healthy backs, get a lot of carries in second halves.

Best case is no one gets injured, and no one feels like going elswhere, so we are just always incorporating two backs into the offense. One as a pure runner/blocker, one as a receiver, and maybe an additional one as a decoy. Now, we just have to convince Bryce Young to let the runners do the running.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I think we see more of a 3 back rotation like when Damien Harris started , Josh Jacobs and Najee rotated. I can see BRob starting and Jase and Camar rotating. Or Trey and Keilan or Roydell and Kyle or......

• Love
Reactions: FaninLA and The Ols

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.