Dabo disses SEC depth

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
LMBO!
Found Mr.Butt R. Hurt right here... lol
Lighten up Francis. We tend to call them as we see them around here. I am not a consensus guy but the consensus is what it is. Dude is flapping his gums and we are simply reacting, nothing more...nothing less.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Lighten up Francis. We tend to call them as we see them around here. I am not a consensus guy but the consensus is what it is. Dude is flapping his gums and we are simply reacting, nothing more...nothing less.

I don't think Dabo is responding to the SEC fans as much as he's responding to media talking heads stirring the pot. I've seen (from time to time on FB) online articles by Saturday's Down South where Finebaum or some internet hack had some quote about Clemson winning the title and taking a shot or two. They do what they do and that's create controversy or they'd be part time employees. Dabo's just not mature enough to ignore it. He seems to have to respond to every shot people way beneath him take.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't think Dabo is responding to the SEC fans as much as he's responding to media talking heads stirring the pot. I've seen (from time to time on FB) online articles by Saturday's Down South where Finebaum or some internet hack had some quote about Clemson winning the title and taking a shot or two. They do what they do and that's create controversy or they'd be part time employees. Dabo's just not mature enough to ignore it. He seems to have to respond to every shot people way beneath him take.
Clemson fans continue to call Finebaum and go after him for doing what he does. He made the correct statement a few weeks ago - they don't know how to handle winning because they are too accustomed to being "little ol' Clemson."

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Saban uses the media to communicate to his players = Brilliant!
Swinney uses the media to communicate to his players = Blasphemy!

Some of you kill me with your obsessive dislike for Dabo in spite of the fact that the guy has won 2 national championships, nearly won a 3rd, and was in the playoffs a 4th time. If CNS retires every one of you that is hating him now would be absolutely ecstatic if we could get him.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Would you rather play our schedule or theirs?
Saban uses the media to communicate to his players = Brilliant!
Swinney uses the media to communicate to his players = Blasphemy!

Some of you kill me with your obsessive dislike for Dabo in spite of the fact that the guy has won 2 national championships, nearly won a 3rd, and was in the playoffs a 4th time. If CNS retires every one of you that is hating him now would be absolutely ecstatic if we could get him.

TiderinAZ

1st Team
Sep 20, 2015
Carefree, AZ
I really like Dabo, he’ll always be an Alabama guy to me. But I am curious to see how he coaches as the “front runner”, rather than the underdog. You know the saying “it’s easier to climb the mountain, than it is to stay on top of it”. This is the thing that has impressed me most about cns, his ability to maintain success.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Fact is, the SEC is NOT what it was during the consecutive titles won era, which is all he was saying.
"Coach Dabo Swinney isn't buying that Alabama was worn out from the grind of a more rigorous schedule and wasn't as well-rested as Clemson a year ago in the College Football Playoff National Championship Game."
The season will wear all teams down; but if you consider what the actual argument is/was -- Bama wasn't as well rested as Clemson -- take a look at how they each ended their seasons:
Bama:
LSU - 10-3 - Final rank of 6 - won bowl
MSU - 8-5 - lost bowl
Citadel - 5-6
Auburn - 8-5 - won bowl
Georgia - 11-3 - Final rank of 8 - lost bowl
Oklahoma - 12-2 - Final rank of 4 - lost in CFP

Combined record of 54-22. Three ranked teams. Last 3 teams had a record of 31-10. 5/6 went to a bowl game. 2 won their bowl game.

Clemson:
Louisville - 2-10
Boston College - 7-5
Duke - 8-5 - won bowl
South Carolina - 6-6 - lost bowl
Pitt - 7-7 - lost bowl
ND - 12-1 - final rank of 5 - lost in cfp

42-34 combined record. One ranked team. Last 3 teams were 25-14. 4 played in bowl games, with one winning.

You can talk about the conference strength all you want; but when the argument is actually whether one team was more rested than another, this tells the story in my opinion. And if you look at the final two games for each team, there's absolutely no comparison. ND was a paper tiger; and Pitt, well, come on. Georgia and Oklahoma were vastly superior teams to ND and Pitt.

Clemson gets full credit for whipping Bama's tail; but, as others have said, they should just enjoy it and stop running their mouths. IF . . . IF one team was more well-rested than another, it was absolutely Clemson over Bama.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I really like Dabo, he’ll always be an Alabama guy to me. But I am curious to see how he coaches as the “front runner”, rather than the underdog. You know the saying “it’s easier to climb the mountain, than it is to stay on top of it”. This is the thing that has impressed me most about cns, his ability to maintain success.
Dabo struck gold when he was able to get the entire DL to return last year. We've seen what it's like to have a dominant front seven. It covers over a multitude of sins and allows so much flexibility throughout the entire team. I don't care how good the back end of a team's defense is, it doesn't mean a hill of beans if the front seven cannot disrupt the LOS. Clemson's defensive line was an absolute monster of a unit. They would completely wreck offensive lines which basically kills the play shortly after the snap. Add to that Dabo has been able to recruit some of the top talent in the country on both sides of the ball and keep his coaching staff together (which is another "striking gold"). The challenge will be (as it has been for Alabama) can he keep the same level of success once he has that year or years where he's not able to convince the upper classmen to return and he loses four or five key staff members to other jobs? We've seen as the more success you have, it gets harder and harder to keep stability.

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Here's the question to ask: is he wrong about the depth of the SEC?

"Listen, the SEC is a great conference, but I don't think they've been as deep the last few years. I think they've had two or three really good teams and then it's kind of been hit or miss from there."

I don't think he's wrong by any stretch.
I would agree, but only because the NFL robs us of the depth that we really do have... :cool2:

Just compare the Draft numbers for both conferences and that is telling...

Note: I didn't research this, but have no doubt that is the case.

Bottom line, Dabo plays in a weak conference and has a great situation. Aside from Clempson, who else has that kind of depth? Same reason that FSU joined that conference and enjoyed their run.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
What's amusing to me is how many people on this board will say they NEVER pull for SEC teams in other games and reference all the Kramer/Fulmer shenanigans and no fair break......but the moment somebody criticizes the conference in any way, they jump up to defend the very conference they profess to despise.

People are funny that way.
Not me. Dabo is more right than wrong on what he was saying. The SEC isn’t a gauntlet of hell to get through anymore. Alabama has been undefeated twice in 3 years with little to no resistance at getting there. The SEC is really becoming the PAC12 of the 2000’s in that it’s 1 elite team, 2 good teams, and a bag of mediocrity in a given year.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I must have missed that part where Dabo said anything resembling, "The ACC is better than the SEC."

Can you show me where that is???

Because his exact point is true: the SEC is NOT what it was, plain and simple.

Which would be relevant if he had said the ACC was better. He didn't.

This is irrelevant data.

"Oh, we played more guys who are playing in the NFL than the ACC did" doesn't even touch what he's saying.

South Carolina had 3 NFL picks, UVA had zero.
UVA 28 USCe 0 on the scoreboard.

What's funny is that this is nothing but an excuse because we lost.

If we had WON the game in January, everyone in Crimson Nation would be blowing the old, "See, they don't play anybody in the regular season and we get ready for those big foes with all those monsters, NFL draft picks, ad nauseum something something."

But since we lost, we simply pivot and say, "Well, they had an easier route to get to the game."

Fact is, the SEC is NOT what it was during the consecutive titles won era, which is all he was saying.
I'm trying to understand the purpose of your post. So you agree with what he said? Or just simply disagree with some of the responses?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
What's amusing to me is how many people on this board will say they NEVER pull for SEC teams in other games and reference all the Kramer/Fulmer shenanigans and no fair break......but the moment somebody criticizes the conference in any way, they jump up to defend the very conference they profess to despise.

People are funny that way.
Rooting for other SEC teams is far different than having an opinion about the strength that they add to our conference. I despise an SEC team and don't care for a few others, but do they add to the strength of the SEC, you betcha... :cool2:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Let's see, the SEC West is #1 according to Sagarin and the SEC East is #2. The SEC isn't just the best conference in football, their worst division is better than any other conference's best division!

The ACC Atlantic is 6th and the ACC Coastal is 8th. The MWC Mountain division is 10th, so the ACC is literally closer to being outside of the Power 5 than being on the SEC's level.

The truth is if the Clemson played in a tough conference they might not have even made the playoffs (had some close calls as it was, they almost lost to Texas A&M). The luxury of playing a softer schedule afforded them room to make necessary changes and prepare themselves for the playoffs.

Anyway, how can I conclude that the SEC isn't anything special when they literally have the top two divisions in college football? Just because Alabama is so good doesn't mean those others are so bad... and the stats bear that out.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Not me. Dabo is more right than wrong on what he was saying. The SEC isn’t a gauntlet of hell to get through anymore. Alabama has been undefeated twice in 3 years with little to no resistance at getting there. The SEC is really becoming the PAC12 of the 2000’s in that it’s 1 elite team, 2 good teams, and a bag of mediocrity in a given year.
I don't know about that. I mean, yea, we have recruited so well over the past 10 years that we are definitely the 500 pound gorilla in the conference much like USC did back in those days. But come on, LSU, TAMU, Georgia and Auburn could all legitimately beat us on a given Saturday. Florida is trending up as is Mizzou. There are some who have fallen way off like the Hogs and Black Bears but, for the most part, the conference is MUCH more of a gauntlet than every other conference except maybe the BIG.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.