Dan Mullen issues a statement regarding The Shoe Thrown Round the World!

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
On SEC This Morning, they showed a clip proofing that this wasn't the first time a Florida player has done this this season. A linebacker also threw the Kentucky QBs shoe in that game, but wasn't flagged. This is pure Mullen theatrics and lack of sportsmanship passed down to his players.
Guess we're lucky we had the fog. Must be harder to see a shoe flying on a clear day.

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
He was no class at MSU so why would anyone think he would change? I cannot imagine what Coach Saban would have said or done. Like Coach Bryant used to say - "act like you have been there" - obviously Cousin Eddie has not been there and if so, not enough.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
The way the game played out, the response, all of it is classic Dan Mullen. Not a fan at all.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I visited Gator Country — which, BTW, reminded me a bit of TideFans...seemed to be decently moderated, and mostly knowledgeable posters.

Generally speaking, they’re calling horse hockey on this statement from Mullen. A few enabling apologists, but they’re in the distinct minority.

And a lot of them are wondering what Saban would have done in that situation, while noting that Alabama doesn’t typically give opponents a lot of this sort of help.

They definitely want to kick our butts Saturday, but there’s clearly also a grudging respect.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Well, this is kind of like dropping the ball before you cross the goal line or giving up on the route because you are sure the refs are going to flag the DB for pass interference.
What do you gain by acting that way, and why would you want to place the decision in the hands of the refs? Just act the way you are supposed to act, and deny the refs a chance to make a decision you won't like. If you make the tackle and find someone's shoe in your hand, just drop the shoe where you stand, the refs won't have to decide whether to call the 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty. This play reminds me of the Ole Miss player crawling like a dog over to the Miss State end zone and hiking your leg like a dog urinating. Why?!? What could you possibly gain by that?

Coach Mullens' attitude indicates he won't be correcting the misbehavior and it will happen again in the future.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
Mullen may be a liar, but he's not a fool. He has a motive. He wants the option of not benching the Man with the Golden Arm. He knows that his comments on The Flying Shoe are dishonest. Politicians lie because they know that most people don't bother to ascertain facts on their own, therefore, their lies are widely believed. However, football fans all know what they saw. No one is buying the hooey that Mullen is trying to spread.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I visited Gator Country — which, BTW, reminded me a bit of TideFans...seemed to be decently moderated, and mostly knowledgeable posters.

Generally speaking, they’re calling horse hockey on this statement from Mullen. A few enabling apologists, but they’re in the distinct minority.

And a lot of them are wondering what Saban would have done in that situation, while noting that Alabama doesn’t typically give opponents a lot of this sort of help.

They definitely want to kick our butts Saturday, but there’s clearly also a grudging respect.
Are they high on their chances this weekend from what you saw.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I was at the 2013 MSU vs Kentucky game in Stark-Vegas when Bulldog player Nick Whitley was ejected for punching the son of pro wrassler Sting in the pile.

I’m not saying Mullen is Houston Nutt or Jerry Glanville, an intentional exporter of dirty tactics. But I AM saying that neither of those incidents would have happened - esp this shoe thing - unless players had little fear/respect of the head coach and felt their status protected them.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
I was at the 2013 MSU vs Kentucky game in Stark-Vegas when Bulldog player Nick Whitley was ejected for punching the son of pro wrassler Sting in the pile.

I’m not saying Mullen is Houston Nutt or Jerry Glanville, an intentional exporter of dirty tactics. But I AM saying that neither of those incidents would have happened - esp this shoe thing - unless players had little fear/respect of the head coach and felt their status protected them.
I have watched the replay a couple of times and, while I agree with the letter of the law on the penalty call, it's not nearly so egregious as I was ready to believe. I don't think the dude was disrespecting so much as joy/relief. One man's opinion.

Reactions: Bazza and B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.