Dareus gets 2-game suspension (Gentry Estes just reported NCAA has RULED)

jeremy

Suspended
Nov 22, 2004
Alabama
So its looking like the offensive and defensive MVPs for the national title game will both be out for the first two games. If Penn St cant beat us, I dont see how anyone can once we get them both back.

BornCRIMSON

1st Team
Sep 28, 2009
Trussville ALABAMA
I would like to congratulate Marcell Dareus, on being a stand up guy with the integrity to be completely forthcoming on exactly what happened. very proud of him, these are the kind of athletes that we need to represent the University of ALABAMA. It may be hard to swallow, but it could have and would have been worse had the NCAA seen any waffling. Again Marcell thank you for turning a negative into a positive. Honesty is always, always the best policy...........Now, not that Marcell needs any more motivation (his motor runs wide open all the time) but I'm sure this is really eating at him.
If I were Ryan Mallet......I would get a insurance policy......

ROLL TIDE !! :BigA:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Maybe the appeal is Saban playing the refs, a brushback pitch with the intent of getting them to back off the next time. :smile:

Like in a game when a close call goes the wrong way, but the coach raises cain anyway hoping the refs will throw the next call his way.

For that much money, $1700, to come out of this fall's budget for Dareus, that's got to make things tough for him. They don't start will a lot of extra to do without. He will remember his last "lean" year at Bama before going pro.

Imagine you skip a movie one year to save the ticket price, the next year you could buy the theatre. :D

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
I would like to congratulate Marcell Dareus, on being a stand up guy with the integrity to be completely forthcoming on exactly what happened. ...
I second this. Glad he didn't waffle on what he told the NCAA. And much as I hate to compliment the NCAA for anything, I appreciate the NCAA recognizing and "rewarding" his forthrightness by not suspending him for as long as they could have.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
Not sure what good it would do to appeal. I know the appeal would go to a different committee (right?), but unless UA has some additional info that wasn't submitted initially that should be considered, I don't think it would do any good. The NCAA has already considered the "mitigating circumstances", and reduced the normal suspension from 4 games to 2. Given the amount involved, I think UA and Marcell came out smelling like a rose! But, as mentioned, don't guess an appeal would hurt anything. I'm just glad that Marcell was up-front with all this - remember Dez Bryant?

I haven't heard anything about any of the other players (i.e., AJ Green, etc.) involved with this investigation - was Marcell the first decision to be handed down?

UnNFormedFan

Scout Team
Dec 22, 2009
Mobile
Does it surprise anyone else to see the difference in the attitude of the fans on this one compared to past run ins with the NCAA? 4 years ago we would have been ranting and raving and pitching a fit over the actions. The change in the team has spilled over to a change in the fans.

It could have been much much worse. I think he takes the suspension and learns from it.

bigmammal

1st Team
Jan 22, 2009
Re: Word on Dareus is Coming Shortly (Gentry Estes just reported taht NCAA has RULED)

Either way, I'm happy to have a decision. One game or two, either is better than four. :)
Agree! And, because there were two trips or as HSV says--maybe three involved, the suspension seems pretty light. Since mitigating circumstances obviously would vary from player to player, it will really be interesting to see how many games the others get.:conf2:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The Opening Drive's lawyer said today he thinks the appeal is Saban's way of being coy. He suggested that Saban was doing it to make Penn State game plan for him even if he doesn't play.

Also, just a thought but could he have gone to Miami a time (or two) to hangout with Austin. The final time was the party in which he realized it wasn't what he thought it was.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
I am shocked at how much the financial benefits were. When all of this first broke, I remember hearing it was only a couple of hundred dollars, and that Marcel had already paid back the money for his transportation.

I think with benefits nearing $2,000, a 2-game suspension is probably warranted. I'm glad it's not 4 games.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The Committee on Appeals can only modify a sanction by a finding that the Committee on Infractions has abused its discretion in reaching the conclusions. It's really hard for me to see "abuse of discretion" in this finding...

Saban14

All-SEC
Apr 24, 2009
Alpine, Al
The Committee on Appeals can only modify a sanction by a finding that the Committee on Infractions has abused its discretion in reaching the conclusions. It's really hard for me to see "abuse of discretion" in this finding...
I agree. In fact, with the amount being $1700, I see this being a very fair ruling.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I am hoping that after the Penn State game, opposing fans and coaches are saying to themselves, "Dang. One Bama player can't play, and another one steps up just as good. Where the heck is Bama getting all these guys?"

Here's to a great game by Damian Square and Trent Richardson.

bigmammal

1st Team
Jan 22, 2009
The Opening Drive's lawyer said today he thinks the appeal is Saban's way of being coy. He suggested that Saban was doing it to make Penn State game plan for him even if he doesn't play.

Also, just a thought but could he have gone to Miami a time (or two) to hangout with Austin. The final time was the party in which he realized it wasn't what he thought it was.
It could. But it seems that $1700 or so almost had to represent some kind of benefits received from at least an additional trip.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Did I miss read something? It was my understanding that if appealed that MD would remain inelligible until the appeal process was over. Why would we risk this process taking longer than two weeks and possibly miss having MD for longer than Penn St. It may be a bluff by Nick
Posted via Mobile Device

ElephanTideis

All-SEC
Aug 17, 2008
Off topic, but does anyone remember the segment in Training Days where the team was running sprints and Coach Saban says "57, I knew you when you were fat!"? I lol'd.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.