Votes: 17 22.4%
  • Jaylen Waddle

Votes: 59 77.6%

• Total voters

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Like most have said, I think Waddle is just faster and fits perfectly with what we are doing with our offensive philosophy.

If there is one thing I'd say Palmer wins over Waddle with is "smoothness." When Palmer ran he just looked so smooth and effortless. For you young ones that never saw Palmer, I'd compare it to Waddle but with Devonta Smiths elegant, graceful stride.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Reminds me of the play when Palmer ran in the two point conversion against UT to tie the game at the end. I was there and (despite the tie game) it was really more like a loss for UT than a tie because they thought they had the game in the bag.
That play was fantastic. Everyone watching at home, in the stadium, on the field, etc knew what was coming. They still could not stop it.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
It's weird that anyone old enough (like me) to have appreciated Palmer is still alive to see Waddle and still votes Palmer.

Palmer was amazing, but Waddle is another level.
I remember being just blown away by Palmer in the early 1990's. If someone would have told me then that in 30 years, there would be a guy who was even faster, I would never have believed it. There isn't even a word for Waddle's speed.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Reminds me of the play when Palmer ran in the two point conversion against UT to tie the game at the end. I was there and (despite the tie game) it was really more like a loss for UT than a tie because they thought they had the game in the bag.
The memory of that play sparked this poll. I’ll probably come up with more players to choose from, I think it’s an enjoyable discussion.

I agree with B1G, Palmer, for his time, is a slightly more electrifying Waddle (because of the passing ability). We can’t complain about how the rules favor the offense so much more now and then use total touchdowns as a comparative measure. I chose Palmer because he was the guy the offense created ways to get the ball, same as we do Waddle now.

Reactions: BamaMoon

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Waddle is clearly better. I voted for Palmer anyway just because I love the guy so much. A girl I worked with gave me a Waddle jersey that I wore on game days until I got too fat for it. I still have it, but I'm still too fat for it.

It's fun to think about comparing players from different eras, but the modern players are almost always better. I can remember 290 was a monster NFL lineman.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
It's weird that anyone old enough (like me) to have appreciated Palmer is still alive to see Waddle and still votes Palmer.

Palmer was amazing, but Waddle is another level.
Still alive? I was at UA when Palmer was there, and I'm only 49, but that changes to 50 in a few days. I hope I have a few more good years left in me. Anyway, I never thought I would pick someone over Palmer, but Waddle seems to be another level. Of course, I imagine if Palmer played in today's game that he may make me change my mind again. Palmer would have loved to have the ball that much in open space.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Still alive? I was at UA when Palmer was there, and I'm only 49, but that changes to 50 in a few days. I hope I have a few more good years left in me.
I meant if you were old enough to appreciate both. Lots of people were seven or eight years old and have no idea how spectacular Palmer was for his time. And plenty have passed on in the interim.

Reactions: Go Bama and B1GTide

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Palmer could make guys miss in space, but the only reason that he outran anyone back then is because all players (or almost all players) were much, much slower. Today he couldn't outrun defensive linemen, much less DBs. For his era, he was Waddle - maybe even a better version. In this era, he wouldn't be close.

Today, I'd take Waddle. Today, Palmer probably doesn't even get an offer from Alabama. 🤷‍♂️
Could the case be made that the pads today are nowhere near as bulky as they were in those days? The training these guys goes through today is a lot more advance than those days.

This is why you can't do topic's like "Palmer or Waddle". Two completely different eras.

Reactions: B1GTide

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
This is like choosing between Elle McPherson and Kathy Ireland. You really can't go wrong.

I would choose Waddle because of the physical conditioning that he has over Palmer. I know that probably has a lot to do with the time that they both played, but that sets Waddle apart in my opinion.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Could the case be made that the pads today are nowhere near as bulky as they were in those days? The training these guys goes through today is a lot more advance than those days.

This is why you can't do topic's like "Palmer or Waddle". Two completely different eras.
I think it is all training. The science of the entire physical preparation process is so much more advanced today.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Everybody in the stadium knew what was about to happen and UT still couldn’t stop him.

Reactions: BamaMoon

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.